=))

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2004
Status
I got accepted into the MD/MBA program at Texas Tech...which is such an awesome program because you get both of the degrees in four years...but I also matched to A&M, where I thought I would fit in best - I totally fell in love with the school during the interview...I didn't get that feeling from Texas Tech and I have no idea if I should choose the double degree over where I feel like I would be happier..I know it all comes down to how important that MBA is to me and how important it is that I feel that I would fit into the school atmosphere...I didn't feel like I got a good idea of what it would be like at Texas Tech, since I didn't get to meet as many of the students...?!?!?!? Just how important is that impression of the school during interview season...Could I end up being just as happy at Texas Tech??

NeuroSync

Every day is a good day
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Puget Sound
Status
Attending Physician
=)) said:
I got accepted into the MD/MBA program at Texas Tech...which is such an awesome program because you get both of the degrees in four years...but I also matched to A&M, where I thought I would fit in best - I totally fell in love with the school during the interview...I didn't get that feeling from Texas Tech and I have no idea if I should choose the double degree over where I feel like I would be happier..I know it all comes down to how important that MBA is to me and how important it is that I feel that I would fit into the school atmosphere...I didn't feel like I got a good idea of what it would be like at Texas Tech, since I didn't get to meet as many of the students...?!?!?!? Just how important is that impression of the school during interview season...Could I end up being just as happy at Texas Tech??
Why do you want the MBA? What do you see yourself doing in the future? Do you need both? You probably won't use both anyway until you've been practicing for a while. There are some very good executive MBA programs out there that are flexible enough for physicians. Regis University has an excellent online program, for example (I must confess my bias as an adjunct professor). Personally, I'd pick the place I'd be happiest, and then worry about the second degree later.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Status
Medical Student
MD/MBA, that's fabulous. Don't pester the guy about why he wants the MBA, I'm sure he has good reasons and gets enough beef from all the other premeds and beyond. You can totally get the MBA later, it's not like it is gone if you don't get it now. You don't necessarily have to even practice as an MD/MBA; there are plenty of options outside of the clinic. Go check out the MD/MBA forum, the people there are pretty cool and you can be sure you won't get blasted about the MBA.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
Shredder said:
MD/MBA, that's fabulous. Don't pester the guy about why he wants the MBA, I'm sure he has good reasons and gets enough beef from all the other premeds and beyond. You can totally get the MBA later, it's not like it is gone if you don't get it now. You don't necessarily have to even practice as an MD/MBA; there are plenty of options outside of the clinic. Go check out the MD/MBA forum, the people there are pretty cool and you can be sure you won't get blasted about the MBA.
And this from a guy who has the Trump as his avatar.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Using the knowledge he gained from his education, he has managed to make a world of a difference for countless people. Note that tycoons are the biggest philanthropists--not greedy bastards as jealous folk would have you believe. Trump doesn't really deal with people on a one-on-one basis, but he does great things on a larger scale. That is what an MBA can provide. It is said that one should conduct business in something he feels passionately about--medicine.

beanbean

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2002
Connecticut
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
If the travel is not too much of an inconvenience, ask Tech Tech if you can visit and attend a day of classes with someone. Go back for a second look and get a better feel for the school and the atmosphere.

k-monger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Midwest
Status
Shredder said:
Using the knowledge he gained from his education, he has managed to make a world of a difference for countless people. Note that tycoons are the biggest philanthropists--not greedy bastards as jealous folk would have you believe. Trump doesn't really deal with people on a one-on-one basis, but he does great things on a larger scale. That is what an MBA can provide. It is said that one should conduct business in something he feels passionately about--medicine.
Ya, I'll admit that many execs are amazing and generous people (eg, Gates). However, let me take this opportunity to rant about the execs and MBAs in medicine. The folks on the business side of a) for-profit hospitals b) health insurance companies, HMOs and c) pharmaceutical companies make an absolute killing by exploiting people while they are in their most vulnerable state. Furthermore, they're slowly continuing their conquest of doctors (and someday us too). This trend is very clear in general practice clinics where doctors have to rush through and overbook patients because insurance reimbursements are so pathetic.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
Um, folks, I don't believe Trump has an MBA. I am almost certain he doesn't have one!

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
=)) said:
I would go for the MD/MBA. there are a lot of possibilities with the degree and you can see that in the fact that the top schools are offering the program. also, I think each school you get the basic MD information. I don't know if in comparison one school is much better than the other, but if the town is a big issue, I would visit the MD.MBA one again and see and talk to people that go there. but kudos for you!

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Status
Medical Student
k-monger said:
Ya, I'll admit that many execs are amazing and generous people (eg, Gates). However, let me take this opportunity to rant about the execs and MBAs in medicine. The folks on the business side of a) for-profit hospitals b) health insurance companies, HMOs and c) pharmaceutical companies make an absolute killing by exploiting people while they are in their most vulnerable state. Furthermore, they're slowly continuing their conquest of doctors (and someday us too). This trend is very clear in general practice clinics where doctors have to rush through and overbook patients because insurance reimbursements are so pathetic.
Companies exist to maximize profit. If drug companies didn't have that incentive, they wouldn't be in the business of creating new drugs that save people's lives. Bear in mind the R&D costs and regulatory hurdles involved in the industry. It's better for people to be exploited in vulnerable states than to be left high and dry with no options.

>>Um, folks, I don't believe Trump has an MBA. I am almost certain he doesn't have one!
Hmm, I only know he attended Wharton Business School at UPenn, but it is in fact seeming more and more like that means only undergrad after I searched online for more information.

OP
?

=))

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2004
Status
thanks for all the input...it really helped to hear the different sides...it was a really hard decision but i've decided on the joint degree since i don't think i can pass up the opportunity to get both degrees in 4 years...hopefully i won't be regretting that decision during those summers i have to miss out on.. :idea: