IA Affect on my App?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefullapplicant7890

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background about me before the IA details:
2000+ clinical hours (some shadowing, mostly scribing in an underserved community)
500+ hrs non-clinical volunteering (organization that raises money for pediatric cancer)
300+ hrs Teaching Assistant for upper level biology courses
50+ hrs Learning Assistant for a physics course
12-15 hr/week on-campus part time job throughout undergrad
40 hr/week serving job during summers
will complete over 100 hrs clinical volunteering in an ER in an underserved area
4.0 sGPA and 3.98 cGPA
524 MCAT

So here's the issue...I was placed on a one semester probation after I got an underage in November 2015. The reason my school placed me on probation was that the officer had written that I pushed him in a restaurant, but in court he admitted that this was a mistake. The student conduct official told me that if the violence wasn't in the police report, she would have just given me a warning. The officer also recommended that the judge drop the charge (which he did so I have no record of having an underage).

In my AMCAS app, I basically told the whole story start to finish, but I feel like I focused too much on explaining that I didn't display the kind of violence that warrants a probation. I only did this because I didn't want adcoms to think that I'm the kind of person who would disrespect a police officer in this way. I'm now thinking about sending an update letter to the schools I applied to that detail how I do own the underage charge. I know that I made a mistake and was extremely dumb to put myself in this kind of situation in the first place. I want to convey how I have taken this experience and learned a great deal about responsibility and owning up to one's mistakes.

So I guess my questions are should I send the update that states that I know the underage was my own fault and that I do realize that I made a mistake? And how much do you think this IA will affect my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
4.0 sGPA and 3.98 cGPA with 524 MCAT, 2000+ clinical hours, 500+ hours volunteering... I think you'll have an easy time finding a school that will look past a dropped charge and probation. Your GPA and MCAT combo probably put you in the top 1% of matriculates. You could add a dropped murder charge on your record and probably still find some school to take you with those stats. Maybe @LizzyM or @gyngyn could chime in as they probably see this stuff all the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My school list is:
Albert Einstein
Drexel
Geisinger
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
PSU
Penn
Rutgers RWJ
Jefferson
UMD
Pitt
WVU
NYU
UVA

Thoughts on how they'll take it?

Last edited:
My school list is:
Albert Einstein
Drexel
Geisinger
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
PSU
Penn
Rutgers RWJ
Jefferson
UMD
Pitt
WVU
NYU
UVA

Thoughts on how they'll take it?

Delete Rutgers unless you're from NJ
Delete WVU as they'll resource protect.
You can do far better than Penn state

I suggest:

Wash U

U Chicago

U Penn

NYU

Vanderbilt

Columbia
Sinai
Cornell

Northwestern

Case

Harvard

Yale

Stanford

JHU

U VA

U MI

U AZ
U VM

U WI
U Cincy

Ohio State

U IA
UCSF

UCLA,
UCSD,
Miami
Tulane
Albert Einstein

Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Mayo

Rochester

Dartmouth
Duke

Pitt
Hofstra

Your state school

Delete Rutgers unless you're from NJ
Delete WVU as they'll resource protect.
You can do far better than Penn state

I suggest:

Wash U

U Chicago

U Penn

NYU

Vanderbilt

Columbia
Sinai
Cornell

Northwestern

Case

Harvard

Yale

Stanford

JHU

U VA

U MI

U AZ
U VM

U WI
U Cincy

Ohio State

U IA
UCSF

UCLA,
UCSD,
Miami
Tulane
Albert Einstein

Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Mayo

Rochester

Dartmouth
Duke

Pitt
Hofstra

Your state school

I'm from PA so I applied to all the PA schools (super close to NJ and am working in NJ for a year which was why I included RWJ). What do you mean by WVU will resource protect? I did Pitt, UPenn, UVA, NYU, and Einstein from your list. I'm just nervous adding more of the high ranked schools with my IA..you don't think they'll look down on that too much?

Last edited:
I'm from PA so I applied to all the PA schools (super close to NJ and am working in NJ for a year which was why I included RWJ). What do you mean by WVU will resource protect? I did Pitt, UPenn, UVA, NYU, and Einstein from your list. I'm just nervous adding more of the high ranked schools with my IA..you don't think they'll look down on that too much?
Your IA is trivial given the facts of the matter.

UWV will figure that you'll go somewhere else given your stats. This is based upon historic norms for them.

Keeping RWJ is fine, in light of your honest-to-God ties to NJ.

Your IA is trivial given the facts of the matter.

UWV will figure that you'll go somewhere else given your stats. This is based upon historic norms for them.

Keeping RWJ is fine, in light of your honest-to-God ties to NJ.

Oh, I see what you're saying. That whole concept is kind of unfortunate...won't be accepted to certain schools because stats are too high? I really like the idea of going there and they actually just extended me an II today so maybe I'll get lucky.

Oh, I see what you're saying. That whole concept is kind of unfortunate...won't be accepted to certain schools because stats are too high? I really like the idea of going there and they actually just extended me an II today so maybe I'll get lucky.
For UWV, you'll need to emphasize what it is about you for them to take a risk on you...for example, if you have lots of service with the rural poor.

As a teaching moment, schools have only so much time and resources to devote to interviewing people. They know from historic norms who is more likely (and less likely) to attend. If they have seen that people with an app like yours are about 1/1000 who matriculate, vs those whop are 1/20, guess who they'll accept?

Ditto for TCMC...if you're from rural, eastern PA, that's a plus.

For UWV, you'll need to emphasize what it is about you for them to take a risk on you...for example, if you have lots of service with the rural poor.

As a teaching moment, schools have only so much time and resources to devote to interviewing people. They know from historic norms who is more likely (and less likely) to attend. If they have seen that people with an app like yours are about 1/1000 who matriculate, vs those whop are 1/20, guess who they'll accept?

Ditto for TCMC...if you're from rural, eastern PA, that's a plus.

I do understand what you mean its just unfortunate. I'm from eastern PA but grew up in the suburbs. My job in NJ is working in a doctor's office which serves a lot of homeless/poor/uninsured/previously incarcerated patients so I'll try to use that to my advantage. Thanks for the advice!