MD & DO IA/Criminal Charges. Add DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIV

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
MN Resident
510 MCAT (128/127/130/125)
3.82 cGPA/3.74 sGPA
Veteran
Disadvantaged Applicant - Was homeless for a while during high school and grew up on food stamps and other governmental benefits. No strong role models in life, and unstable home environment; focus of PS.
IA - Lacked the maturity first semester I went to college and ended up withdrawing from all my courses. When I returned to college, my pass/drop ratio was too high, and I was put on academic probation. I appealed and was reinstated and made the dean's list every semester after.
Criminal - Same semester I withdrew from courses I received an underage misdemeanor drinking charge and three DWI's in 2010. Got off probation in 2014. Completed a treatment program and have been sober for six+ years.

Other stats:
100 hours clinical shadowing - PC
125 Clinical hours volunteering in the hospital
340 hours volunteering in leadership role on campus
2300 hours working in hospital laboratory as a tech
900 hours tutoring and leading study groups
450 hours summer research with a poster presentation.
9 years in the Army. Army Achievement Medal for leadership role
230 hours mentor for youth
On track to graduate Summa Cum Laude and will be completing an honors thesis senior year 16-17. Should be about an additional 300 hours of research not on my application.

Current School List:
MD:
UMN
UW
UI
Temple
Loyola
Creighton
Saint Louis
Mayo
Chicago (Pritzker)
Duke
Temple
USUHS
UNC

Is there any reason to add DO schools? Since my stats are on the higher end for most DO schools would they be more likely to consider my transformation since the first semester of college almost seven years ago? I received a "priority" invitation to complete DO application due to MCAT score and wanted feedback if I should fill out this spam request?

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to more MD schools and add DO schools only because of the 3 DWIs. Three in one year shows a serious lapse in judgement, which you are obviously aware of. Seems like you have really turned it around though. I imagine someone will be able to see you have learned from those mistakes.

I would apply to more MD schools and add DO schools only because of the 3 DWIs. Three in one year shows a serious lapse in judgement, which you are obviously aware of. Seems like you have really turned it around though. I imagine someone will be able to see you have learned from those mistakes.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to add a few more MD schools and start the process of applying to DO schools. Any advice on which schools I should add, or what DO schools to apply to?

It was a serious lapse in judgment, and I was living a very selfish life. If I had a time machine I would kick my own ass, but, moving forward, I can focus on becoming a leader in my community and helping other people learn from my mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I am going to add a few more MD schools and start the process of applying to DO schools. Any advice on which schools I should add, or what DO schools to apply to?

It was a serious lapse in judgment, and I was living a very selfish life. If I had a time machine I would kick my own ass, but, moving forward, I can focus on becoming a leader in my community and helping other people learn from my mistakes.

I do not have much knowledge about DO schools; however, if finances permit, I would apply to any you would be willing to attend. I think the DO forum has info on all of the schools.

Reactions: 1 user
First of, many thanks for your service to our country.

I take it that you joined the service after the DUIs? That will more than make up for the infractions. Even lacking that, you've led an exemplary life since then, so Adcoms would be more forgiving.

I don't think that your MCAT merits trying for U Chicago. Swap out for Rush. UNC might be a reach. Just add CCOM to your list and then some more MD schools, like MCW, Tulane, Netter, Gtown, GWU, Jefferson, NYMC, Albany, Tufts, U Miami, and Drexel.

Stats:
MN Resident
510 MCAT (128/127/130/125)
3.82 cGPA/3.74 sGPA
Veteran
Disadvantaged Applicant - Was homeless for a while during high school and grew up on food stamps and other governmental benefits. No strong role models in life, and unstable home environment; focus of PS.
IA - Lacked the maturity first semester I went to college and ended up withdrawing from all my courses. When I returned to college, my pass/drop ratio was too high, and I was put on academic probation. I appealed and was reinstated and made the dean's list every semester after.
Criminal - Same semester I withdrew from courses I received an underage misdemeanor drinking charge and three DWI's in 2010. Got off probation in 2014. Completed a treatment program and have been sober for six+ years.

Other stats:
100 hours clinical shadowing - PC
125 Clinical hours volunteering in the hospital
340 hours volunteering in leadership role on campus
2300 hours working in hospital laboratory as a tech
900 hours tutoring and leading study groups
450 hours summer research with a poster presentation.
9 years in the Army. Army Achievement Medal for leadership role
230 hours mentor for youth
On track to graduate Summa Cum Laude and will be completing an honors thesis senior year 16-17. Should be about an additional 300 hours of research not on my application.

Current School List:
MD:
UMN
UW
UI
Temple
Loyola
Creighton
Saint Louis
Mayo
Chicago (Pritzker)
Duke
Temple
USUHS
UNC

Is there any reason to add DO schools? Since my stats are on the higher end for most DO schools would they be more likely to consider my transformation since the first semester of college almost seven years ago? I received a "priority" invitation to complete DO application due to MCAT score and wanted feedback if I should fill out this spam request?

Reactions: 1 user
First of, many thanks for your service to our country.

I take it that you joined the service after the DUIs? That will more than make up for the infractions. Even lacking that, you've led an exemplary life since then, so Adcoms would be more forgiving.

I don't think that your MCAT merits trying for U Chicago. Swap out for Rush. UNC might be a reach. Just add CCOM to your list and then some more MD schools, like MCW, Tulane, Netter, Gtown, GWU, Jefferson, NYMC, Albany, Tufts, U Miami, and Drexel.

Thanks for a more specific school list. I should have mentioned that I already applied to the schools I listed. I applied based off getting 514 on AAMC scored and then ended up getting a 510. On the plus side, U Chicago put me on hold for later review instead of outright rejecting me. Additionally, looking at UNC website and MSAR they show a preference for disadvantaged applicants and veterans, so thought it was a decent reach school.

Location is not a huge factor for me. Would you recommend to add any more DO schools in addition to CCOM?

Touro-CA
KCU
MUCOM
DMU
Western
AZCOM
KCOM
PCOM
LECOM

Thanks for a more specific school list. I should have mentioned that I already applied to the schools I listed. I applied based off getting 514 on AAMC scored and then ended up getting a 510. On the plus side, U Chicago put me on hold for later review instead of outright rejecting me. Additionally, looking at UNC website and MSAR they show a preference for disadvantaged applicants and veterans, so thought it was a decent reach school.

Location is not a huge factor for me. Would you recommend to add any more DO schools in addition to CCOM?