***IAU Puerto Rico****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JGopto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me start by introducing myself: I am a 3rd year optometry student at IAUPR and I also happen to be the Student Council President, the IAUPR COVD Liaison, the National OEP Student Liaison, a writer at OptometryStudents.com, and a writer for Visual Performance Today Magazine. Originally from Ft. Lauderdale, FL and I worked as an EMR tech at NOVA Southeastern College of Optometry before I decided to apply to optometry school. The acceptance at NOVA was given to me within a week (it helped that my interviewers were my bosses) but due to personal preference and smart decisions (I get too tempted by Miami night life) I decided to come to Puerto Rico.

I want to kill all of the negative rumors (past and present) and give you guys the facts about my school. It is not easy: to adjust to life in PR, the classes are very demanding, like every other school there is drama. But over all, I do not regret coming here one bit.

For those of you considering IAU Puerto Rico, feel free to voice your concerns and I will respond with all honesty!

Adios!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Despite all the negativity that have been said about IAU Puerto Rico, what made you decide to go there instead of NOVA? I would consider IAU Puerto Rico (when the time comes to apply) but the only personal drawback that I see is actually living there. (Mainly because I do plan on settling wherever I get accepted). Do you go home during your breaks or have you settled in PR? What programs are offered? More importantly, since you worked at NOVA and got a feel for how the school runs, are there any actual differences between the curriculum?

I see no flaws in this school despite it being located in PR. Personally, I think people are always reluctant to go to PR is because its not located within the 48 states. Although, if there was an Optometry school located in Alaska rather than PR, there would be no negativity said.

The main reason I did not choose NOVA was personal preference, I was born and raised in Ft. Lauderdale, I received my BS in Bio and my MS in Biomedical Informatics at NOVA so I wanted to go somewhere new. Also the Docs I worked with at NOVA said nothing but good things about IAUPR so I figured it was the right place for me. I do go home EVERY chance I get mostly because San Juan to Florida flights are so cheap lol. I would never practice or live in Puerto Rico after school but being here allowed me to focus entirely on my studies.

As for NOVA, I LOVE the school. They are very interactive with the students and the professors are great as well as their Eye Institute, I don't have anything negative to say about NOVA. Their curriculum is almost identical to ours due to the fact that IAUPR changed their curriculum to reflect what the majority of other schools are doing. The only difference I have noticed is that NOVA profs give out "packets" to study from directly where as our professors make us work 3x as hard because they think that giving us packets means we are "spoon fed" material. It is not easy here, but I feel equally if not more prepared then most students at other schools (I attend a lot of student conventions).

Also, 97% of the students at IAUPR are from the mainland, who speak no spanish and they are really benefitting from being here at IAUPR because you MUST give the eye exams in Spanish. I find it a challenge but all of my classmates are doing just fine! I can see the reluctance but for me it's a love/hate relationship with PR (it's like America with Walmart and BK and McDonalds, big malls etc. but the traffic and the island slow pace takes a while to get used to)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending a different school but I was very tempted with IAUPR's requirement to perform the exam in Spanish. I live in Arizona and will be going to Midwestern, but for anybody planning on practicing within the next 5-10 years should recognize this element in the shifting demographic. I wish Midwestern would incorporate that element (They have courses to teach you the exam in Spanish, but it's not required).

The main reason I did not choose NOVA was personal preference, I was born and raised in Ft. Lauderdale, I received my BS in Bio and my MS in Biomedical Informatics at NOVA so I wanted to go somewhere new. Also the Docs I worked with at NOVA said nothing but good things about IAUPR so I figured it was the right place for me. I do go home EVERY chance I get mostly because San Juan to Florida flights are so cheap lol. I would never practice or live in Puerto Rico after school but being here allowed me to focus entirely on my studies.

As for NOVA, I LOVE the school. They are very interactive with the students and the professors are great as well as their Eye Institute, I don't have anything negative to say about NOVA. Their curriculum is almost identical to ours due to the fact that IAUPR changed their curriculum to reflect what the majority of other schools are doing. The only difference I have noticed is that NOVA profs give out "packets" to study from directly where as our professors make us work 3x as hard because they think that giving us packets means we are "spoon fed" material. It is not easy here, but I feel equally if not more prepared then most students at other schools (I attend a lot of student conventions).

Also, 97% of the students at IAUPR are from the mainland, who speak no spanish and they are really benefitting from being here at IAUPR because you MUST give the eye exams in Spanish. I find it a challenge but all of my classmates are doing just fine! I can see the reluctance but for me it's a love/hate relationship with PR (it's like America with Walmart and BK and McDonalds, big malls etc. but the traffic and the island slow pace takes a while to get used to)

In the long turn, graduating from IAUPR will definitely benefit. Wow, learning a new language is a great advantage, especially with the shifting demographics (as the other individual who posted on this thread stated).

That should be emphasized more. That sure is a strong advantage from graduating from IAUPR.

IAUPR is absolutely an underdog. Great choice.

In the long turn, graduating from IAUPR will definitely benefit. Wow, learning a new language is a great advantage, especially with the shifting demographics (as the other individual who posted on this thread stated).

That should be emphasized more. That sure is a strong advantage from graduating from IAUPR.

IAUPR is absolutely an underdog. Great choice.
Nice use of colorful language, Jesse.

Does part of the problem with IAUPR have anything to do with the incredibly high crime rate? I was looking and the homicide rate is 23/100k, which is the highest in the united states and much higher than many of the states. I just don't think I would feel safe going to school there.

Does part of the problem with IAUPR have anything to do with the incredibly high crime rate? I was looking and the homicide rate is 23/100k, which is the highest in the united states and much higher than many of the states. I just don't think I would feel safe going to school there.

The crime rate is high from what I have heard on the news and what not but I have yet to see or hear of anything happening to any of us (students and friends) that live here. The school offers dorms that are on campus and are very very safe. I live off campus because I wanted to be on the beach and I live in the tourist area of Isla Verde which I LOVE. Crime occurs here just like in MIAMI where I am from and usually you find it when you look for it :)

The crime rate is high from what I have heard on the news and what not but I have yet to see or hear of anything happening to any of us (students and friends) that live here. The school offers dorms that are on campus and are very very safe. I live off campus because I wanted to be on the beach and I live in the tourist area of Isla Verde which I LOVE. Crime occurs here just like in MIAMI where I am from and usually you find it when you look for it :)

exactly.. crime is an unfortunate element of a lot of parts of the country, so i don't think that's a valid enough reason to make PR have a less prestigious reputation than some of the other schools. chicago is also a high crime city, but ICO is one of the top optometry schools out there.

What was your OAT scores when you applied to IAU? As of right now, IAU is my top 3 but I'm nervous about my scores. My GPA is significantly above average, however my OAT scores are below average.

What was your OAT scores when you applied to IAU? As of right now, IAU is my top 3 but I'm nervous about my scores. My GPA is significantly above average, however my OAT scores are below average.
My OAT was a 310. My GPA was a 3.3 overall.

Hello there! I am a senior year student at InterAmerican University of Puerto Rico- Metropolitan Campus. I am currently finishing up my bach. in Biology with a Minor in Chemistry while studying for the OAT. My #1 school of choice is IAUPR, obviously because I currently live here! But I'm scared of the rumors that they don't admit resident students. How true is this? Also, whats the average GPA/OAT score to get in? Any other tips you may want to share will be so gratefully recived! Good day!