IAUPR School of Optometry - Ask Questions Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaMi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear students,

For any prospective optometry students who are thinking/considering Interamerican University of Puerto Rico School of Optometry, you can ask it here. I know this has been started in another post, but it always seems to turn into people bashing the school or giving their unnecessary opinion about it without ever going there. I ask you to show some professional courtesy, if you've never been to the school, either as a student or as an interviewee, then do not post your speculations or rumors here.

I'm currently a first year there. No, I don't work for the school, and no one told me to do this, but I was once in your position and had a ton of questions, so feel free :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi im applying to IAUPR this month along with other schools and wanted to know a little about your admissions process. Was an interview necessary? I live in NJ so I dont know if i'd be able to go all the way to PR. Approximately how long did it take you to receive a response back from them after you applied?

Hi im applying to IAUPR this month along with other schools and wanted to know a little about your admissions process. Was an interview necessary? I live in NJ so I dont know if i'd be able to go all the way to PR. Approximately how long did it take you to receive a response back from them after you applied?

Hello i am another current student that currently serves on the Orientation committee..To start off, yes interview is mandatory. The thing is, most other schools ask the same thing, so flying from NJ to Texas lets say or California is no different to PR..Its a good opportunity to meet the staff, students, view our facilities, and visit PR (lots of funnn stuff).

I spoke with our admissions director and he has said that he emails applicants as soon as a full application has been received. I will try to keep on top of him to get back to everyone promptly.

Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I have recently set up an interview for IAUPR and I was wondering what I should expect/how I should prepare for it. This will be my first optometry school interview and though I am very excited to visit the campus and meet the staff, I am just as nervous. Are there certain talking points I should discuss? Is it a one-on-one interview? Thanks in advance for any responses!

Ok, So Puerto Rico is a school I am strongly considering. Not because it accepts lower OAT scores or GPA. I am mainly considering it because of the island lifestyle and the possibility of becoming bilingual.

My one concern is that over and over again I hear that the school is on the verge of loosing its accreditation or does not provide and up to par education. I went and toured the school and they told me that their pass rate for the boards was 80%. Does every student in the class take the boards? Also, are the professors/faculty helpful? I have heard some not-so-positive things about them from previous threads.

And lastly I don't mean this to be offensive or in anyway make IAUPR sound like a bad school but is it a university where you possibly give up some of the high level education you might receive at a top state side university in exchange for the bilingual abilities and the experience to live in a place as beautiful as PR?

Thank you so very much!

Last edited:
I have recently set up an interview for IAUPR and I was wondering what I should expect/how I should prepare for it. This will be my first optometry school interview and though I am very excited to visit the campus and meet the staff, I am just as nervous. Are there certain talking points I should discuss? Is it a one-on-one interview? Thanks in advance for any responses!

Thanks for applying! your interview wont be one one one, but with a small number of staff. Dont be nervous, just be yourself! Be confident in your answers and be respectful!

Hopefully all goes well. Best of luck!

Ok, So Puerto Rico is a school I am strongly considering. Not because it accepts lower OAT scores or GPA. I am mainly considering it because of the island lifestyle and the possibility of becoming bilingual.

My one concern is that over and over again I hear that the school is on the verge of loosing its accreditation or does not provide and up to par education. I went and toured the school and they told me that their pass rate for the boards was 80%. Does every student in the class take the boards? Also, are the professors/faculty helpful? I have heard some not-so-positive things about them from previous threads.

And lastly I don't mean this to be offensive or in anyway make IAUPR sound like a bad school but is it a university where you possibly give up some of the high level education you might receive at a top state side university in exchange for the bilingual abilities and the experience to live in a place as beautiful as PR?

Thank you so very much!

hello,

i hope your interview went well. The school has full accreditation right now, so there should be no worries. I can tell you first hand, I am very pleased with the education i am receiving here at IAUPR. It is the same material and clinical setting that any other OD school has. Things are in a current upswing, where things are progressively becoming better for the student (completely revamped curriculum, new facilities...etc)

Im not so sure what has been said or what you have heard about the professors, but they are all qualified ODs or OMDs. First hey ALL speak English. We have some brilliant minds, that actively do research, have done residencies in the US, and have had successful careers here in PR and abroad. Ive had no trouble communicating with my professors about labs, tests, etc...they are all approachable and genuinely want to help.

As for the boards, in years past not everyone has had to take the boards. This has changed just recently (I believe PR natives have to take them to practice in PR now too).

As you said yourself, the school is attractive because you WILL learn spanish and its on a beautiful island. The curriculum is up to date and is comparable to one state side. New students/applicants should try to approach PR with a fresh look, as things inside IAUPR are taking change.

Best of luck with your app process, and let us know if you have further questions! (other students frequent this forum too!)

Hi! I have an interview at IAUPR 10/21, very excited!! I'm so glad someone started this thread because I have been trying so hard to find more information on the school. For a long time it was my #1 choice because of the bilingual program. Recently however I visited UHCO and was accepted there. I really liked the school so now I'm wondering what I'm going to do. Obviously I'm waiting until my interview and visiting to really make a decision but I'm afraid it will be tough to make! I have a real passion for Spanish, but I will admit I'm a little worried about the possibility of being discriminated against when trying to find a job back in the states. Have you ever heard of any alums having such problems?
Did you have any difficulties in moving/transitioning to living on the island? Can you give any tips on this? Not sure if there is on campus living, but if there is do you recommend it? Do most students not worry about having cars?
I, like others I have seen in the forum, have had some difficulty in contacting the admissions office which was a tiny bit of a turn off and cause for some worry. I am hoping the rest of the faculty is easier to contact. I'm sure it will be different being there in person, but it makes me wonder. Do you feel like there is a large sense of community in the school? I want to go somewhere where the students are close with one another and with the faculty!
Thanks so much!

but I will admit I'm a little worried about the possibility of being discriminated against when trying to find a job back in the states. Have you ever heard of any alums having such problems?

No, unless you come across as a complete idiot during an interview.:poke:

Most people will be curious about the experience since little is known about the school. They will ask you questions, and if you are unable to articulate what you went through, you just wasted 4years of your life. Also, a well written resume goes a long way.

It also depends on what the person hiring is looking for... and what YOU as an OD can bring to the table (its more than just the spanish). Most OD opportunities will have a description on what they want (ie, residency trained, minimum experience, specialty--low vision, peds...). Some will just want to meet anyone... and base it on how well you can fit in the practice (how much you can add to profit).

But if some one is basing an entire decision on where you went to school, and not meeting you.. its probably a place you dont want to be working.

Last edited:
Did you have any difficulties in moving/transitioning to living on the island? Can you give any tips on this? Not sure if there is on campus living, but if there is do you recommend it? Do most students not worry about having cars?
I, like others I have seen in the forum, have had some difficulty in contacting the admissions office which was a tiny bit of a turn off and cause for some worry. I am hoping the rest of the faculty is easier to contact. I'm sure it will be different being there in person, but it makes me wonder. Do you feel like there is a large sense of community in the school? I want to go somewhere where the students are close with one another and with the faculty!
Thanks so much!

Hey LaOculista! Nice name haha. Congratulations on getting an interview invitation, I'm sure you'll do great!

Before we came to the island, we were each assigned an Orientation Committee Officer, who was a 2nd or 3rd year that served on the Orientation Committee, and was responsible for answering any questions that we may have. They definitely made the transition to the island much smoother than it would've been.

If you were already living on your own, then the transition shouldn't be that difficult, but if you're just leaving your house for the first time, then moving away to anywhere would be difficult. No matter what, people learn to adapt, and after the first couple of weeks or less, you should have completely adjusted.

The school does have on-campus housing, and I highly recommend it. It's currently $500 a month with all utilities included. It's right behind the school and it's nice to be able to walk to and from class. It's safe and saves you the trouble of having to drive back and forth. Many students live on campus until their 4th year, when they move out because they rotate in clinics that are far from the school.

Only a couple of students in our class have cars. You don't absolutely need a car your first 3 years, but some find that it really helps. Walgreens and Sam's Club are within walking distance from the school. Sometimes the school has a shuttle on Sunday that goes to a nearby shopping center. You can definitely get by without a car, either walking, taking a taxi, or hitching a ride with someone who does have one, but having one makes life easier.

As for the difficulty with admissions, I cannot personally attest to this. Most of my communication with admissions was through email. But I can tell you that our admissions counselor was out very sick the past 2 weeks.

I've never tried to contact the faculty outside of class hours, but our class president has been in contact with them throughout the semester to discuss everything from exams to class requirements.

There certainly is a sense of community here! Since the class sizes are relatively small, everybody knows each other, and throughout your time here, the professors will get to know you well.

With all this being said, being a student here is not for everyone. Every student is different, and it is important to find the school that fits you. Most people give you their opinion, and not actual facts, so it can induce a bias either for or against a school. It helps when you visit the schools, do your research, and continue to ask questions!

Hi! I have an interview at IAUPR 10/21, very excited!! I'm so glad someone started this thread because I have been trying so hard to find more information on the school. For a long time it was my #1 choice because of the bilingual program. Recently however I visited UHCO and was accepted there......
As I've stated before, I think its crazy to consider IAUPR or any of the new schools if you've been accepted at one of the established US schools.

With minimal effort, you will have no problem polishing your spanish by the time you've left UHCO.

This is a decision that needs to be made with your head, not your heart.

Reactions: 1 users
As I've stated before, I think its crazy to consider IAUPR or any of the new schools if you've been accepted at one of the established US schools.

With minimal effort, you will have no problem polishing your spanish by the time you've left UHCO.

This is a decision that needs to be made with your head, not your heart.

Then I guess I must have been crazy... prob far less than I am now... :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Before we came to the island, we were each assigned an Orientation Committee Officer, who was a 2nd or 3rd year that served on the Orientation Committee, and was responsible for answering any questions that we may have. They definitely made the transition to the island much smoother than it would've been.

If you were already living on your own, then the transition shouldn't be that difficult, but if you're just leaving your house for the first time, then moving away to anywhere would be difficult. No matter what, people learn to adapt, and after the first couple of weeks or less, you should have completely adjusted.

There certainly is a sense of community here! Since the class sizes are relatively small, everybody knows each other, and throughout your time here, the professors will get to know you well.

With all this being said, being a student here is not for everyone. Every student is different, and it is important to find the school that fits you. Most people give you their opinion, and not actual facts, so it can induce a bias either for or against a school. It helps when you visit the schools, do your research, and continue to ask questions!

well spoken, WaMi..thank you

I recently received an e-mail from admissions stating:

"Congratulations! You have been accepted as a first year student to the School of Optometry at the Inter American University of Puerto Rico for the 2012-2013 academic year beginning in August 2012. Since you excell in both Academics and OAT score, you have received an early admission (without interview) and are a candidate for a scholarship in our school!"

I originally dismissed IAUPR after being accepted to two of my top schools much closer to home (driving distance), but that last part of the e-mail has me taking a second look at this school. I'm curious if anybody has any more information on scholarships available? I originally applied because of the bilingual aspect (I'm currently decent at Spanish, but would very much like to become fluent) and living on a beautiful island doesn't hurt either.

Any information on scholarships or advice on attending IAUPR would be greatly appreciated!

I recently received an e-mail from admissions stating:

"Congratulations! You have been accepted as a first year student to the School of Optometry at the Inter American University of Puerto Rico for the 2012-2013 academic year beginning in August 2012. Since you excell in both Academics and OAT score, you have received an early admission (without interview) and are a candidate for a scholarship in our school!"

I originally dismissed IAUPR after being accepted to two of my top schools much closer to home (driving distance), but that last part of the e-mail has me taking a second look at this school. I'm curious if anybody has any more information on scholarships available? I originally applied because of the bilingual aspect (I'm currently decent at Spanish, but would very much like to become fluent) and living on a beautiful island doesn't hurt either.

Any information on scholarships or advice on attending IAUPR would be greatly appreciated!

I would never consider a school without seeing it first, but that's just me.

I recently started considering to apply to this school and I was wondering if I need to send the Health certificate with my supplemental application and the $31 fee or do I send it after I am accepted to the school?

Thanks in Advance

I recently started considering to apply to this school and I was wondering if I need to send the Health certificate with my supplemental application and the $31 fee or do I send it after I am accepted to the school?

Thanks in Advance

I didn't send in any of the supplemental application materials or the $31 fee but I still received an invitation to interview via Skype last week. The peculiar thing is I formally withdrew my application mid-October...

Thanks in Advance

I believe you are supposed to send them together, though its not a strict rule...you need the supplemental fee and then before enrollment, you need your health papers in line

I have submitted my OptomCAS application n November and haven't heard anything back. I've also sent an e-mail wondering if they have received my information and still nothing. How long does it usually take to hear back?

I have submitted my OptomCAS application n November and haven't heard anything back. I've also sent an e-mail wondering if they have received my information and still nothing. How long does it usually take to hear back?

Hi,

How do you pay the supplemental fee? Online or by mail?

Xtermination, you can send a check with your supplemental.

Hey LaOculista! Nice name haha. Congratulations on getting an interview invitation, I'm sure you'll do great!

The school does have on-campus housing, and I highly recommend it. It's currently $500 a month with all utilities included. It's right behind the school and it's nice to be able to walk to and from class. It's safe and saves you the trouble of having to drive back and forth. Many students live on campus until their 4th year, when they move out because they rotate in clinics that are far from the school.

Only a couple of students in our class have cars. You don't absolutely need a car your first 3 years, but some find that it really helps. Walgreens and Sam's Club are within walking distance from the school. Sometimes the school has a shuttle on Sunday that goes to a nearby shopping center. You can definitely get by without a car, either walking, taking a taxi, or hitching a ride with someone who does have one, but having one makes life easier.

Hi, thanks for all your helpful input! Do you know if parking is nearby/included for those who live in the on-campus housing?

No. There is a beginner Spanish class first year that the majority of students take.

Is all the written exams in Spanish? or Spanish is used during the rotations when you see patients?
Is anatomy and physiology required for only one semester in order to apply for IAUPR?

Is organic 2 required?

I believe you are supposed to send them together, though its not a strict rule...you need the supplemental fee and then before enrollment, you need your health papers in line

Does this mean I can send the health certificate and hepatitis B vaccine papers after I get accepted IAUPR?

Hello! I don't know if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but I recently got accepted in IAUPR and for anyone that goes there was wondering if I could get feedback on your experience there. Any pros and cons that you believe would be beneficial in knowing before committing would be greatly appreciated!

Hello! I don't know if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but I recently got accepted in IAUPR and for anyone that goes there was wondering if I could get feedback on your experience there. Any pros and cons that you believe would be beneficial in knowing before committing would be greatly appreciated!

Hola Moonlightc93, I currently attend IAUPR. Do you have any specific questions?

Hi i just got accepted also! I wanted to know more about how housing works and financial aid works! Would love to get in touch and talk about it.