Iberamerican University SOM, Dominican Republic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Terry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attended Iberoamerican University in Santo Domingo, Domican Republic?

I am in possession of their 2000-2002 Bulliten and have visited their web site at http://www.unibe.edu.do and called their Miami Office at #800-977-7231.

They claim to have a Pre-Med and MD combined progam taught in English open to HS grads.

It is both "intensive" and "accelerated" and the whole pre-med/MD is accomplished in 4 years.

What do you think?

Terry

Members don't see this ad.

I went to the web site. The first item I looked for was statement that MD graduates are eligible to take the USMLE. There is such a statement. Without that eligibilty it would be a waste of money and time. It is probably true, but I suggest you check the latest edition of the World Directory of Medical Schools to see if it is listed. That said, I would wonder about a program that can take students from high school to an MD degree in four years.

I have no personal knowledge or feedback about the school.

I too would be a bit worried. To be eligible for ECFMG certification AND to work as resident in the US, you must have attended a medical school which provides 4 years of undergraduate education. If the program is combining pre-med and med reqs into 4 years, it may not meet this requirement. Besides, medical school is too short as it is, IMHO, why would you want to shorten it even further and risk being able to understand it all?

There are too many international schools which offer a tried and true formula and have been successful in getting their graduates US residencies to consider this, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked again with "Mike" at the Miami "International Office" of UNIBE SOM and he informs me he was mistaken regards the four years.

It's actually 1yr. 4 months for the Pre-Med then 4 years of Med. School for a total Pre-Med. to MD of 5 years, 4 months.

He informs me that information on page 26 of their latest Bulletin was misleading and will be corrected.

This compares to 15 US Med School programs open only to graduating HS Seniors that combine a BS/MD. Apparently the only difference is the UNIBE program leaves out the liberal arts section of that type program
opting instead not to award a BS/MD but to award just an MD because the Med. pre-reqs did not include the "arts".

I have asked the Miami office to provide USMLE pass rates and a list of US students who have completed the program and obtained successful residency in the U.S.

I will report a post when/if I receive such info.

Thanks for your input regards this topic
Wishing You Only the Very Best,
Terry

Even that number of combined programs that Mike gave is innacurate. I checked my copy of AAMC's Medical School Admission Requirements (1999-2000 edition) and in Part I there is a detailed listing, and information on, 35 such combined programs; I know of a 36th recently started.
There are four 6 year programs, two 6-7 year programs, ten 7 year programs and nineteen (not including the new one) 8 year programs.
Frankly, I have always been a critic of such programs because I think there is value in in a full undergraduate education. All of them are at heart thinly disguised recruiting programs for the colleges that offer them. Moreover, if they tell students at all it is in the fine print somewhere that it is not an ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE that program students will be accepted into the medical school phase. It should be obvious that there can be no guarantee: the student's grades have to be acceptable. A C record for example, although good enough to graduate from college is not good enough to be accepted into the medical school phase.

I know I veered from the topic that started this thread, but it was an opportunity to express my own view on combined programs.
Feel free to disagree if you are so inclined, but I will not enter into a debate on the merits of combined programs. Each of of us is entitled to his/her perspective.

Be advised reference Iberoamerican SOM, Dominican Republic:

I have received no response to my questions regards the school either from the "International Office" in Miami or from the school in Santo Domingo.

I have made both written and phone requests.

Does'nt look good guys.

Terry

I am not recommending and I am also not diswaying--just giving info.

UNIBE does have an entirely legitimate medical school program in the DR.

The DR is pretty uniform from school to school in its med programs, each school being required to have the same curriculum by the DR edu authority, CONES.

In general, a highlight of DR medicine is the pathology one can see there. A lowpoint for many, but not for others is that it is geared to the DR--the schools are DR and for the most part train for the DR.