Icahn medical student victim of racist attack

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
February 23, 2021
Faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Health System, in New York City, circulated an internal memo on Monday again condemning "all forms of racism, bigotry, and hate" in the wake of a racially motivated attack last week on an Asian student near the medical school campus.
The memo was signed by Kenneth L. Davis, MD, president and chief executive officer of Mount Sinai Health System, Dennis S. Charney, MD, dean of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, and Gary C. Butts, MD, chief diversity and inclusion officer for the Mount Sinai Health System.
The student, who asked that her name be withheld for safety reasons, told Medscape Medical News she was walking near campus midmorning on February 15 when a man shouting "Chinese virus" grabbed her by the hair, took her phone, and kicked her to the ground as several bystanders looked on. She called out for help, and a woman called 911, the student said.
The student reported the incident to police and to the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
That's seriously awful.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am usually apolitical but this is the lingering effect of the Trump presidency... Calling Covid19 'The China Virus', 'Kong Flu' etc... If you make it ok for some people to act on their worst instinct, they will.

By the way, my comment is not directed toward a particular race or ethnicity because it appears that both Caucasians and African Americans are perpetrating these horrible crimes.

Self disclosure: Did not vote in the past 2 presidential elections.

Reactions: 5 users
I am usually apolitical but this is the lingering effect of the Trump presidency... Calling Covid19 'The China Virus', 'Kong Flu' etc... If you make it ok for some people to act on their worst instinct, they will.

By the way, my comment is not directed toward a particular race or ethnicity because it appears that both Caucasians and African Americans are perpetrating these horrible crimes.

Self disclosure: Did not vote in the past 2 presidential elections.
Agreed on Trump. The problem here though is that Caucasians are the ones pushing these racist stereotypes in the first place, not African-Americans

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
So our media is now naming it the UK strain or the South African variant, but China virus is not good? Can’t you see the hypocrisy?

Reactions: 1 users
So our media is now naming it the UK strain or the South African variant, but China virus is not good? Can’t you see the hypocrisy?
Not gonna write a lengthy response, but it's not the same based on a multitude of factors. Disingenuous to make that comparison.

You don't see people attack Caucasians (UK strain), or attack African-Americans (South African variant), but they attack Asian Americans

Reactions: 2 users
Like i said, the incident in OP disproved your argument because the term "China virus" is used as a racial slur to demonize and attack Chinese Americans (and even East Asians in general) by racist Americans who are usually rightwing extremists.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
You're only allowed to use the terms that the media comes up with, don't you know that by now?

I don't personally think that "China virus" is the most correct way to refer to COVID, and it sounds sorta crass.

I'm not sure why "Wuhan virus" didn't stick. That seems like the most accurate name to me, if the virus did indeed originate in Wuhan. If it were from anywhere else in the world we probably would have used the original city to name it. If it would have originated in Boston, no one would have thought twice about referring to it as the Boston virus. Perhaps others can chime in about why they were so emotionally distraught by that name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed on Trump. The problem here though is that Caucasians are the ones pushing these racist stereotypes in the first place, not African-Americans
Great, thanks for actually being a racist by making sure to throw one entire race under the bus and blame them for anti-asian violence. Never mind the fact that you actually have zero idea about how many of these crimes are perpetrated by caucasians or african-americans.

Welcome to 2021, where you can blame caucasians for literally anything and it will stick regardless of actual evidence/proof

• Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
You're only allowed to use the terms that the media comes up with, don't you know that by now?

I don't personally think that "China virus" is the most correct way to refer to COVID, and it sounds sorta crass. I think Trump was using that phrase to be hard on/blame the chinese government, although all of the liberal asshats on here will automatically assume it's because he's a "racist", whatever that word is supposed to mean these days.

I'm not sure why "Wuhan virus" didn't stick. That seems like the most accurate name to me, if the virus did indeed originate in Wuhan. If it were from anywhere else in the world we probably would have used the original city to name it. If it would have originated in Boston, no one would have thought twice about referring to it as the Boston virus. Perhaps others can chime in about why they were so emotionally distraught by that name.
I think you're being intentionally obtuse here

• Dislike
Like i said, the incident in OP disproved your argument because the term "China virus" is used as a racial slur to demonize and attack Chinese Americans (and even East Asians in general) by racist Americans who are usually rightwing extremists.
I wouldn’t say they’re rightwing or have any political affiliations. If Biden came up with the term “China virus”, you think it’d be the leftwing extremists committing these crime? No it’d be the same people. They can be anyone. In their mind, they hear “China virus”, they attack Asians. They’re too stupid to actually carry out any political agenda.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t say they’re rightwing or have any political affiliations. If Biden came up with the term “China virus”, you think it’d be the leftwing extremists committing these crime? No it’d be the same people. They can be anyone. In their mind, they hear “China virus”, they attack Asians. They’re too stupid to actually carry out any political agenda.
It is almost always rightwing factions. There's a reason why they're stereotypically viewed to be xenophobic and racist who convert potentially accurate terms into racial slurs. But i agree they are stupid people, and those idiots are the ones who refuse to wear masks and are antivax while dismissing covid as a hoax

I don't personally think that "China virus" is the most correct way to refer to COVID, and it sounds sorta crass.

It's pretty clear "china virus" wasn't used in a vacuum - we have months of evidence of the ex-president using that term to politicize the situation and shift blame onto China for mostly our government's own failures. A lot of baggage comes with that terminology. If you ignore all that, then sure, it shouldn't be problematic.

Great, thanks for actually being a racist by making sure to throw one entire race under the bus and blame them for anti-asian violence. Never mind the fact that you actually have zero idea about how many of these crimes are perpetrated by caucasians or african-americans.

Welcome to 2021, where you can blame caucasians for literally anything and it will stick regardless of actual evidence/proof
I initially resisted replying bc it was off topic, but it's important for future physicians to understand

White people possess the large majority of the political and social power in this country - the Trump administration itself was also heavily white, and not Black, and they pushed anti-Asian racism. You're assuming that by Caucasian I mean all Caucasians, but rather I mean that the group responsible for pushing this racist trope was Caucasian. That can't be denied.

I initially resisted replying bc it was off topic, but it's important for future physicians to understand

White people possess the large majority of the political and social power in this country - the Trump administration itself was also heavily white, and not Black, and they pushed anti-Asian racism. You're assuming that by Caucasian I mean all Caucasians, but rather I mean that the group responsible for pushing this racist trope was Caucasian. That can't be denied.
Uh, I’m going to stop you right there, because whether or not the Trump administration pushed “anti-Asian racism” absolutely IS up for debate. Classic leftist tactics, telling people that things “can’t be denied”, when they can’t even be quantified or verified and are solely in the eye of the beholder.

Also since your logic is non-existent, name one country where the racial majority doesn’t hold the majority of the political power (whether they’re black, white, Asian, etc.).

Last edited:
  • Dislike
I think you're being intentionally obtuse here
About which part? Please explain. I see no problem in naming a virus after the city of origin

Last edited:
It's pretty clear "china virus" wasn't used in a vacuum - we have months of evidence of the ex-president using that term to politicize the situation and shift blame onto China for mostly our government's own failures. A lot of baggage comes with that terminology. If you ignore all that, then sure, it shouldn't be problematic.

China absolutely deserves to be slammed without question regardless of US or any other government's disastrous responses to handling the pandemic.

I can understand why some thinks "China virus" can be ok but the term has been abused and converted into a racial slur by racist Americans to demonize and attack Chinese Americans and broadly East Asians. And for that, the term must be condemned.

China absolutely deserves to be slammed without question regardless of US or any other government's disastrous responses to handling the pandemic.

I can understand why some thinks "China virus" can be ok but the term has been abused and converted into a racial slur by racist Americans to demonize and attack Chinese Americans and broadly East Asians. And for that, the term must be condemned.
You do realize that bad people are going to do bad things regardless of what you call the freaking virus, right? You aren’t going to change the outcome by changing the term

You do realize that bad people are going to do bad things regardless of what you call the freaking virus, right? You aren’t going to change the outcome by changing the term

Yes but 2020 was a bizarre political environment where it's socially acceptable to use racial slurs to demonize and attack minorities so the term needs to go.

I disagree, hate crimes against East-Asian Americans have increased dramatically in 2020. I doubt that would have happened had there not been vitriolic rhetoric against them. It's similar to what we saw against South Asians and Middle Eastern people in the wake of 9/11 and directly after Donald Trump getting elected. The rhetoric used matters and words have tangible consequences.

I don't necessarily disagree with you with regards to criticizing China, but it was pretty evident that the motivation behind the criticism wasn't out of benevolence and a need to "find the truth." It was an easy boogeyman to distract from our own national failures during the early/middle stages of the pandemic.

Uh, I’m going to stop you right there, because whether or not the Trump administration pushed “anti-Asian racism” absolutely IS up for debate. Classic leftist tactics, telling people that things “can’t be denied”, when they can’t even be quantified or verified and are solely in the eye of the beholder.

Also since your logic is non-existent, name one country where the racial majority doesn’t hold the majority of the political power (whether they’re black, white, Asian, etc.).
I highly doubt you have lived in any other country except the US as The US is a world in itself. In the 3 other countries I have lived in, the people dgaf about “what majority has the power”, nor are they always “anti government”/ conspiracy about everything and more over people stop being friends over their political views and follow blindly what a bankrupt tv show host says about stuff that he has no knowledge about. Wasn’t covid gonna go away? What about injecting disinfectant? Or that just a “leftist tactic”. I don’t vote (I can’t due to my visa status) nor care about politics but heck the US has just become absurd with the schism that has occurred politically. Like say the us is in another civil war; not north vs south but left vs right.

Reactions: 1 user

Bruhhhh when you say "Chinavirus" over and over and repeatedly blame Chinese nationals or immigrants that creates a hostile environment for Asians, especially when your supporters took similar cues to harass Black, Latinx and Muslim people as well and are primed to do similarly with Asians

South Africa, where the White minority holds disproportionate power

And this is all beside the point. You're diminishing the trauma of a Asian-American medical student with your stonewalling.

• Love
Karens everywhere - especially online.

Either way, the **** needs to stop. I hope the student recovers and they find the asshat responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.