Icky class rank...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebirdie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Not be a whiny baby, but I've just received my class rank, and after my first year of medical school I am 78 out of 96! Granted I had a rough first year, but is it possible to recover from this? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

do they give everyone their class rank at your school or did you have to ask for it?

kick some butt 2nd year and rock step 1.

lattimer13 said:
do they give everyone their class rank at your school or did you have to ask for it?

kick some butt 2nd year and rock step 1.

They give everyone their class rank. Thanks for the encouragement!

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on how you're state of mind is, remember that by definition, half of the guys you graduate with finish in the bottom half of the class. P=MD

dc

at least you made it.. Look at the positive side

Is that seriously a bad rank? I though top third was good enough for almost anything - you're in the top 20%. Am I mistaken about where you need to rank in med school?

nontraditional said:
Is that seriously a bad rank? I though top third was good enough for almost anything - you're in the top 20%. Am I mistaken about where you need to rank in med school?

No, no, quite the opposite. I'm in the bottom 20%. I'm ranked 78, meaning there are 77 people who did better. If I were in the top 20% I'd be on cloud nine :laugh:

bluebirdie said:
Hello everyone,
Not be a whiny baby, but I've just received my class rank, and after my first year of medical school I am 78 out of 96! Granted I had a rough first year, but is it possible to recover from this? Thanks
Just curious but how does grading work at your school? At mine they just have H/P/F. I have no idea whether we're even ranked cause I can't imagine that they can distinguish among students just based on 3 grades and six courses the first year. I'd imagine that if they tried, there would be a lot of ties. Maybe you're 78 but the 20 people before you all tied. In that light, maybe you guys aren't all that far from each other.

as the martial arts masters would say,

chry haaawder!!!

:laugh:

you do know what they call the person who graduates last from med school don't you? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . Doctor!

Don't worry. My rank has gone up from first year. Now that you've got the hang of things, you will probably do better. And third year is completely different so different people shine - it's not the ones who kept their nose in a book throughout 1st and 2nd years who are great on the wards always.

Well, if you want to do family practice or psych, I'd say you have nothing to worry about, as long as you can express a strong interest in those fields when you interview. If you are thinking an academic program or a more competitive specialty, then you'll have to do better, especially on Step I and in the third year. If you're not primed for a power residency though, you probably do not have anything to stress about, as long as you continue to pass your classes and the boards.

Thanks for the encouragement. It was really hard let me tell you, especially since I was a non-science major and wasn't used to the type of competition, and work I'd have to do to do as well as I wanted. I'm really not sure what I want to go into...I'm not looking for derm or optho or ortho or anything. I really have no clue...however, I'm hoping that I can boost my rank so I can broaden my options....