ICO - Interview, Essay, and questions about acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OptoStudent01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at ICO very soon, my main question is am i late for an interview meaning do you think their class is basically filled up around this time of the year.

Also from some research on SDN i hear they ask you to write an essay on the spot, what is that like? and what are some of the topics they cover?

Right now i am very happy i got an interview because i believe my OAT scores were not the best they could have been around 300 but i have a good GPA ~ 3.4...so what are the chances of my acceptance?

How many applicants do they reject based on #'s after the interview. I understand the # of students that get interviews have the choice between other schools and acceptance from other schools but how many have actually been rejected after an interview at ICO and what were the reasons.

And any pointers about the interview will be appreciated! Im just very nervous and excited!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have an interview at ICO very soon, my main question is am i late for an interview meaning do you think their class is basically filled up around this time of the year.

Also from some research on SDN i hear they ask you to write an essay on the spot, what is that like? and what are some of the topics they cover?

Right now i am very happy i got an interview because i believe my OAT scores were not the best they could have been around 300 but i have a good GPA ~ 3.4...so what are the chances of my acceptance?

How many applicants do they reject based on #'s after the interview. I understand the # of students that get interviews have the choice between other schools and acceptance from other schools but how many have actually been rejected after an interview at ICO and what were the reasons.

And any pointers about the interview will be appreciated! Im just very nervous and excited!

Thanks

Had my interview early Feb. My qtn was about how I could contribute to ICO.

From what I've heard, they generally don't like it when you have scores below 300 on your OAT, especially if you apply late. The file review interviewer will ask about your OAT so be prepared to tell him/her about it (if you were pleased or not, etc)

Try to stay with the AppHost program. You'll get a feel before the school a whole day before your interview --> you'll be more relaxed. I can definitely say I was the most relaxed interviewee in my group (I was the only one who stayed @ the RC).

Be friendly with the interviewer. They've probably had to conduct many interviews so I can imagine they can get bored if the interviewee doesn't keep things interesting. Lead the conversation your way and you'll find you'll be talking a lot about aspects of life outside of academics. Make personal connections with the interviewer (ex. I'm Canadian, and my interviewer had lived in Canada for 'x' yrs). Generally, if you think the interview time flew by, then it was probably a + interview. GL :)

Had my interview early Feb. My qtn was about how I could contribute to ICO.

From what I've heard, they generally don't like it when you have scores below 300 on your OAT, especially if you apply late. The file review interviewer will ask about your OAT so be prepared to tell him/her about it (if you were pleased or not, etc)

Try to stay with the AppHost program. You'll get a feel before the school a whole day before your interview --> you'll be more relaxed. I can definitely say I was the most relaxed interviewee in my group (I was the only one who stayed @ the RC).

Be friendly with the interviewer. They've probably had to conduct many interviews so I can imagine they can get bored if the interviewee doesn't keep things interesting. Lead the conversation your way and you'll find you'll be talking a lot about aspects of life outside of academics. Make personal connections with the interviewer (ex. I'm Canadian, and my interviewer had lived in Canada for 'x' yrs). Generally, if you think the interview time flew by, then it was probably a + interview. GL :)

this person hit it right on. from advice about staying in RC to how to act with your interviewer, i agree with it all. night before my interview i went through ICO's interview feedback section (scroll up, its in the blue bar at the top of the page) and tried to answer every question others had posted. I don't think i was asked a question I had not read on there.

gluck, don't stress, be passionate about why you want to go to ICO and why you are interested in optometry

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

Hey! I'm pretty much on the same boat as you. I'm really glad I got an interview, but am nervous since it's kind of late in the application process. When's your interview? Mine's on the 28th ..

Hey guys sorry for the late reply on SDN....i had a few days away from the computer....so i found out that i got accepted!!!!! :) and i thank the support and information i attained from SDN. :thumbup:

I do want to put it out there....I know many students go crazy about their OAT scores or atleast i did and i even almost gave up applying this year because I, and mainly I thought that my scores werent great....and i still dont think they are. But i always believed in myself to say that this is what i want and i want to become an optometrist. If anything apart from the numbers side,i believe it is this intension that got the acceptance and i am so thankful!!!! So everyone out there dont ever give up on your dreams! sooner or later it will be reality! :)

Congratz

I was wondering how many people they interviewed with you that day?
I'm a late applicant and have my interviewed scheduled for April 18th.

I interviewed with three other students....Hang in there!

Good Luck! :thumbup:

Congratz

I was wondering how many people they interviewed with you that day?
I'm a late applicant and have my interviewed scheduled for April 18th.

I also interviewed with 3 other candidates during my interview
good luck!

Heh thanks for the info, I just got accepted to NECO, but I still want to see what ICO is like. + flights back to toronto are cheaper from chicago lol

Heh thanks for the info, I just got accepted to NECO, but I still want to see what ICO is like. + flights back to toronto are cheaper from chicago lol

I actually took the train there and back. When I had my interview, the plane tickets were all $600 + one way from Pearson to Chicago and I really didnt wat to spend $1200 + taxes on an interview. =_= It was my first time on an overnight train... interesting experience I suppose

That's interesting, because chicago from Pearson is like 400$ round trip with Tango before taxes.

I got my flight from porter for $400 round trip taxes included. Porter is great since they have 30% off promo codes a lot.

haha really? I only checked expedia and travelocity =P
Maybe I'll check tango the next time I book tickets

Just wondering, how many of you place ICO in terms of top choice in terms of the schools you applied and why? Which were your other schools? Thanks!

Just wondering, how many of you place ICO in terms of top choice in terms of the schools you applied and why? Which were your other schools? Thanks!

For me, its the proximity to home and the ease of getting back. Also their board scores aren't too shabby ;). They have also have that eyepod (yea new things catch my eye)? but their clinic seems to give you a lot of pathology, but you're bound to see that in most metropolitan cities. One thing to note versus some other schools, is they are revamping their look, they did a recently redid their website, and have been posting up videos to entice students. I know it comes down to marketing the school, but at least they are the ones doing it... unlike some others running on legacy pages, sending you to links that 404 lol...

I'm waiting on my interview to see the rest of my requirements, and that would be the community of the school.

ICO was my first interview and remained one of my top choices throughout the entire interview process. The main selling points for me at ICO were the community aspect and the diversity of patients at the clinic. Everyone was very friendly and approachable at ICO, both at the RC the night before and during interview day.

While I am not attending ICO in the fall, I have great respect for the school. My other interviews were at PCO, UHCO, SCCO, and UCBSO.

I'm a current first year (almost second year!) at ICO. I actually am one of the ambassadors for the Apphost program and I did it when I interviewed here as well. It's a great idea and puts you close to the school so you don't have to worry about anythign the next morning and it's free! Plus, you get to talk to students in a stress-free environment before the day comes to get any last minute questions asked.

As for ICO revamping their look...

We are getting a brand new lecture hall that is going to be amazing. Everyone is so excited for it. We take our last final May 14 and as soon as the last person walks out they are tearing up the old one. The new one will have all the lectures video recorded and well as the power point slides in the same video window (we currently only have audio recording). The seats are going to be more comfortable since we spend 4 hours a day in the lecture hall. They will be mesh like, reclinable (to an extent), you will be able to raise them up and down and spin them around. There will also be table with a plug for your laptop at each spot. Each stadium level will consist of two rows so the front row can turn around and work with the row behind them. There will be a TV monitor on the front of the professors podium that will show the same thing as the lecture screen so the people in the front row don't have to strain their necks looking up. The lighting will be much brighter so hopefully students won't fall asleep!

We also (as in the last week) got individual computers in each eyepod lane for the new electronic record keeping we are implementing this summer. That was really exciting for us to walk into lab and see how we are continuously advancing our technology.

I am just really excited for new things here at ICO.

I interviewed at NECO and ICO and was offered interviews at UMSL, AZCOPT, and Incarnate. As soon as I saw ICO's facilities I was sold. I then went and interviewed at NECO and was so disappointed in what they had to offer. It seriously goes on what fits best for each individual though.