ICOM Breaking Ground May 17th!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've wanted to see a medical school in Idaho for a long time. I just wish it were A) at the main ISU campus in Pocatello. Eastern Idaho is the best Idaho, B) not for-profit and C)actually part of ISU and not just affiliated with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose my question is what schools who obtain pre-accreditation do not obtain provisional accreditation? I mean it's one thing to build a building, it's another to prove for sure that you have the existing resources to effectively train 150 students.

I've wanted to see a medical school in Idaho for a long time. I just wish it were A) at the main ISU campus in Pocatello. Eastern Idaho is the best Idaho, B) not for-profit and C)actually part of ISU and not just affiliated with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I agree with all your points except location. Meridian (75k) is bigger than Pocatello (54k). Logistically speaking, wouldn't the bigger population be better? If ICOM couldn't be in Boise or Nampa, then isn't Meridian is the next best option? A bigger population usually means more hospitals/clinics which have more patients.

As far as I know, there's a very good reason why no one has established a medical school in idaho.

Decided to take a look at their website and found the FAQs.
(source: FAQs )
Interesting question that I noted was this--
"Why was there a decision to create a "DO" school instead of an "MD" school?

Because of the tremendous needs for primary care in the five-state region, it was decided that ICOM would be an osteopathic medical school. ICOM predicts that over 50% of its graduates will practice primary care."

It also looks like this private medical school might try to actually attract Idahoans through scholarships $$$ so this is a step in the right direction regarding this specific aspect.

"Will there be scholarships for Idahoans?

Yes. The State of Idaho awarded ICOM a tax-reimbursement incentive to be located in Idaho. ICOM has pledged that all of this money will go towards scholarships for Idahoans with a preference for graduates of ISU. The ISU Foundation will manage these scholarships."

Decided to take a look at their website and found the FAQs.
(source: FAQs )
Interesting question that I noted was this--
"Why was there a decision to create a "DO" school instead of an "MD" school?

Because of the tremendous needs for primary care in the five-state region, it was decided that ICOM would be an osteopathic medical school. ICOM predicts that over 50% of its graduates will practice primary care."

It also looks like this private medical school might try to actually attract Idahoans through scholarships $$$ so this is a step in the right direction regarding this specific aspect.

"Will there be scholarships for Idahoans?

Yes. The State of Idaho awarded ICOM a tax-reimbursement incentive to be located in Idaho. ICOM has pledged that all of this money will go towards scholarships for Idahoans with a preference for graduates of ISU. The ISU Foundation will manage these scholarships."

I'm skeptical that the scholarship will be significant.

Reactions: 1 user
Better than BCOM's initiative to attract New Mexicans(no scholarships for NM residents)? But you're probably right that the money might not be substantial--but it's a step.

Idk, I wouldn't choose a new school over a good one for a small scholarship. Half tuition and you'll have a very strong entering class.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with all your points except location. Meridian (75k) is bigger than Pocatello (54k). Logistically speaking, wouldn't the bigger population be better? If ICOM couldn't be in Boise or Nampa, then isn't Meridian is the next best option? A bigger population usually means more hospitals/clinics which have more patients.

Meridian is pretty much Boise... Literally a 12 minute drive. In fact, the biggest shopping centers and things of that nature are in Meridian. Students will most definitely be traveling to Boise for hospital related things and most will probably live in Bosie.