ICU RN to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scalpel179

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other nurses out there interested in continuing on to medical school?

I just finished my BS in nursing and am now taking O-Chem and Physics to prepare and take the MCAT. I feel that my nursing background in the intensive care unit gives me an excellent starting point to continue with medical school education. I am just concerned that I will be looked down upon considering my background. Unfortunately there still exists some anamosity between nurses and physicians.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

scalpel179

Members don't see this ad.

One of the students in my class is a Pedi-ICU nurse. His background and life experience seems to be helpful at times, but the real reason behind his success now is his hard work.

Unfortunately, some people in medicine do not recognize nurses as the educated, professionals that they are. I don't think you will find to much of this in your application process, but you will be expected to explain why you wish to make the change from nurse to doctor (just as anyone who is leaving their career to go to medical school). Don't assume that these questions are putting down nursing or your decision to pursue your MD.

Good luck in yout journey!

Deirdre

awesome...
it sure sounds like an excellent starting point esp with having experiences in the medical field...
dont let other people stuck in old traditional thinking bring you down...
but your background wont hurt you during the application process...so do well on the test.

good luck!