ICU rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rock Star

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm interested in doing an ICU rotation, my question is what type of ICU rotation ie SICU, MICU, or CCU.

Bottom line I want to do a lot of procedures such as art/central lines, learn how to manage vents and swanz ganz,and intubate. Could I get all this in MICU?

I'd like to do the rotation in Los Angeles. Left coasters and others please send suggestions.

out

Members don't see this ad.

My first rotation of 4th year was an A/I in the MICU. I got to do all those things and more (after the shiny new interns got their fill of course). I had so much fun, in fact, that I was thinking that an Allergy/Pulmonology/Critical Care fellowship might be the way to go. But then I thought that would mean I'd have to do a medicine residency first. (Not that i have anything against my fine colleagues in medicine - its just not for me). So to answer your question, in my experience, yes you can do all those things in the MICU.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, you do all of those things more often in the SICU than in the MICU (and students get to do them more often in the SICU). In fact, where I am, it's not at all unusal for the medicine folks to call surgery to put in lines. The intern covering the SICU usually is the one to go put in the medicine lines (though in the MICU, it's usually the critical care fellow who does the lines).

Hot Bovie's experience just goes to show that there is a great deal of diversity from hospital to hospital. So the bottom line is do some research and find out how they do things at the places you are interested in rotating through. At most institutions, if you are simply interested in a lot of procedures the MICU or the SICU should be about the same. But then thats just my experience.