TAKEANMDPILL

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2004
Status
Hey, of course I tried using search beforehand regarding this, but I thought asking here specifically won't hurt either.

I'm a Physiology and Neurobiology major in the second semester of sophmore year at UCONN. So far, my GPA
is 3.23. My science GPA should be slightly higher. This semester, I should finish with all A's in Physics 2, Ochem 2, and Sociology at the 200 level.I really want to retake most if not all science courses I have completed so far (Chem1,2, Ochem, 100 level Art history)in which I have B's and B+'s in, so I could improve my GPA to the 3.6+ range by the time I apply. My question is, how should I go about doing this? Should I fill in these courses in the upcoming semesters along with my required courses? How would one go about retaking such courses? I'm also sort of lost as to how colleges "overwrite" older grades and factor into calculating ones cumulative GPA. I would appreciate any valuable advice. Good luck!

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
I've never met a single person who's retaken a class in which he/she got a B or a B+ in. My school doesn't even allow you to retake classes unless you received a C+ or below. Are you sure your school will?

But at any rate, it seems like such a waste of time to retake classes you did ok in. Since you're only a sophomore, you should focus on aceing the rest of the classes you have to take.

As far as your gpa goes, colleges will delete your old grade and replace it with the new grade. However, med schools will see that you have retaken a class (there will be an R on your transcript where your old grade was).

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The grades you've made are permanent. Many colleges will not allow you to retake a course that you've recieved a passing grade in, so check with your registrar. I think you should just be happy with the grades you have thus far and focus on getting A's in all your future courses. Cumulative GPA for application purposes will contain all college level courses regardless of when you took then or if they were retaken.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
TAKEANMDPILL said:
Hey, of course I tried using search beforehand regarding this, but I thought asking here specifically won't hurt either.

I'm a Physiology and Neurobiology major in the second semester of sophmore year at UCONN. So far, my GPA
is 3.23. My science GPA should be slightly higher. This semester, I should finish with all A's in Physics 2, Ochem 2, and Sociology at the 200 level.I really want to retake most if not all science courses I have completed so far (Chem1,2, Ochem, 100 level Art history)in which I have B's and B+'s in, so I could improve my GPA to the 3.6+ range by the time I apply. My question is, how should I go about doing this? Should I fill in these courses in the upcoming semesters along with my required courses? How would one go about retaking such courses? I'm also sort of lost as to how colleges "overwrite" older grades and factor into calculating ones cumulative GPA. I would appreciate any valuable advice. Good luck!
I suspect the answer is going to be school specific as to how retake courses are permitted and indicated on your transcript. AMCAS will count both grades (original and retake) in computing your GPA, so you will in effect be averaging the two. Probably makes more sense to take new or upper level classes rather than to retake those with B or B+, though. (Frankly, I've actually never heard of anyone retaking a class in which they got a B+.)

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
Law2Doc said:
AMCAS will count both grades (original and retake) in computing your GPA, so you will in effect be averaging the two.
This is what i keep telling people. But did y'all read the thread where a bunch of posters said they called AMCAS and were told they didn't need to put down the original grade?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
tinkerbelle said:
This is what i keep telling people. But did y'all read the thread where a bunch of posters said they called AMCAS and were told they didn't need to put down the original grade?
You're/we're definitely correct. Just doublechecked the AMCAS 2005 Application instruction book, which says under "Repeat" courses (p.33), that you must include all repeat courses in the calculations unless the final grade was a Withdrawal or Incomplete (unless I'm somehow misreading the booklet).

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
Law2Doc said:
You're/we're definitely correct. Just doublechecked the AMCAS 2005 Application instruction book, which says under "Repeat" courses (p.33), that you must include all repeat courses in the calculations unless the final grade was a Withdrawal or Incomplete (unless I'm somehow misreading the booklet).
That's the first thing I did too :D. And I saw that statement as well. So I don't know how those people got away with not reporting original grades. Maybe both of us have reading comprehension issues :p