I'd like to make an announcement...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DcS

damn the red baron
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although it only lasted a mere year and a half, my short but illustrious endontic career has come to close as I completed my endo requirements. God-willing and a match into a pedo program, I will never do another root canal in my life (pulpotomies don't count!) :eek: Hey, it's better to burn out than fade away :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mind sharing your reasons? Curious

some kids might still require pulpectomies! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
WHY??????? :confused: .................................bump

I hate endo too!

DcS said:
Although it only lasted a mere year and a half, my short but illustrious endontic career has come to close as I completed my endo requirements. God-willing and a match into a pedo program, I will never do another root canal in my life (pulpotomies don't count!) :eek: Hey, it's better to burn out than fade away :smuggrin:

He realized its a dying specialty, cause me and my boyz are slammin in Implants left and right. :laugh: (and most are much easier to do)

Implantology is def an interesting field!
and I hate endo as well :mad: my back is ruined because of it!! ruined I say!
:(

Mann I cant decide what I wanna get into though :/ but for the mo..me gonna concentrate on passing them nasty boards!! lol

DcS said:
You just wait and see... until you get into private practice!

I was so glad to watch my last full denture patient walk out of the dental school building and I knew it right then that would be my last EVER full denture to worry about! I have been happy ever since. I haven't given any anesthesia since then either!

Bifid Uvula said:
He realized its a dying specialty, cause me and my boyz are slammin in Implants left and right. :laugh: (and most are much easier to do)

It's interesting you say that it is a dying specialty. I used to think this also, but now that i'm working (doing a GPR) i've found that when I send a case to the Endodontist (i.e., usually a re-treatment molar) they have long waiting lists (eg. some 4 mos.). Implants are definitely the here and now, but the Endodontist's are still very busy. i don't think this is necessarily going to change, the cases they do are just going to become more complicated.

I also used to think endo was going extinct. The obvious reason was implants provide the best long term prognosis of any restorative treatment in dentistry (when done properly). No other restorative treatment has the long term success rate of implants. Note to the surgeons: extraction is not restorative. :)

However, you lose proprioception and reflexes (from the PDL space) with implants and this will always have value to patients. Whether or not patients are educated about this fact depends on the restorative dentist.

Don't get me wrong, I love OMS and implants and plan on doing that after graduation, but I think endo will be with us for a very long time.

I had to dig up this thread. Now with the match over and acceptance in hand,

NO MORE ROOT CANALS FOR ME EITHER!!!!!

No more filing and poking and needles and pain. Tactile sense? What the heck is that about, you can't see squat! Goodbye apex locator, goodbye gutta percha.

My Monday job requires me to do them, but I will be quitting that job FAST!

griffin04 said:
I had to dig up this thread. Now with the match over and acceptance in hand,

NO MORE ROOT CANALS FOR ME EITHER!!!!!

No more filing and poking and needles and pain. Tactile sense? What the heck is that about, you can't see squat! Goodbye apex locator, goodbye gutta percha.

My Monday job requires me to do them, but I will be quitting that job FAST!
Congrats! Persistence paid off! You won't have to do dentistry ever again! your assistants will do everything for you!