I'D LIKE TO SHADOW A DO...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InNY

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am graduating in two weeks from an Occupational Therapy program, and now I want to focus all my attention on getting into NYCOM.I have the summer off, and I wanted to shadow a DO.I found some private DO's in my area (I live 15 minutes east of Old Westbury, in the Syosset-Hicksville area) but they don't allow students to shadow them.Kind of cruel and obnoxious since they were once students in my position, but anyway whatever.I was just wonderinf if it was true that Massapequa hospital has alarge number of DO's working there, because I heard something about that once.Do they take volunteers?Also, if anyone went to NYCOM and knows anything about me being able to volunteer with a DO in this area, I'd really appreciate it.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You've heard correctly. Massapequa is a "D.O. hospital" although it does have many MDs. It is one of the teaching affiliates of NYCOM. Dr. Gary Rachlin (a NYCOM grad) is the Director of Medical Education there. He's a really helpful guy. If you call him and show some enthusiasm for NYCOM and osteopathic medicine, I'm sure he'll "hook you up."

Since most hospitals have volunteering programs, I fail to see why Massapequa would not have one too. You should also be aware that since Massapequa is a rather small hospital, it is merging with New Island Hospital. You might want to try to find a volunteering spot there. If you go to one of these two hospitals you're bound to find a D.O. willing to help you.

Good luck!

Amit
NYCOM, Class of 2002