Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine now accepting primary applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cath Up

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ICOM website link: Admissions Requirements

Like many, I am skeptical of the rush to get the school going (it is still under construction), and the addition of a for-profit school in a place that may have limited opportunity for clinical rotations/wide pathology, etc. But here is the opportunity, for those who would like to pursue it.

They're asking for 3.2 minimum in cGPA and sGPA. Would not have expected this, given the truncated cycle.

Tuition is $49,750. ICOM promised tuition to be less than average among private MD/DO schools. I guess the mean is at 50k+ now??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UW didn’t successfully bury this school in a pile of ashes?

UW didn’t successfully bury this school in a pile of ashes?

I'm not really sure how UW is related to Idaho other than WWAMI, which takes a few students a year. Many are still leaving to DO schools out of state each year (like 60 I think?). I have some criticisms based on speculation, but I definitely would have applied here if the AACOMAS changes didn't nuke me. I'm sure the school will turn out fine in time and it'll be run similarly to BCOM (which no one is freaking out about anymore).

Members don't see this ad :)
Primary is not free. Do you mean secondary?

EDIT: Nevermind. secondary is 65$

Last edited:
I'm not really sure how UW is related to Idaho other than WWAMI, which takes a few students a year. Many are still leaving to DO schools out of state each year (like 60 I think?). I have some criticisms based on speculation, but I definitely would have applied here if the AACOMAS changes didn't nuke me. I'm sure the school will turn out fine in time and it'll be run similarly to BCOM (which no one is freaking out about anymore).
UW having WWAMI takes students from Idaho then has training for them back there. They were not happy about the school opening.

Primary is not free. Do you mean secondary?

EDIT: Nevermind. secondary is 65$

Email I received stated they were waiving the secondary fee, though I am not sure why they would bother even having it at $65 if they were even waiving it. Seems like maybe they are not for everyone. Not sure. You were right about the primary- thank you for pointing that out. I wish I had not included that in the thread title- seems like an advert.

I didn't know UW was trying to bury this program. Seems like they weren't able to achieve that goal. Might increase competition for Idaho rotation sites for UW, WSU, and PNWU.

Last edited:
So sorry, did not mean to incorrectly state the primary is free. It is not. The email I received stated that they would waive the secondary fee. I was wrong.

Like many, I am skeptical of the rush to get the school going (it is still under construction), and the addition of a for-profit school in a place that may have limited opportunity for clinical rotations/wide pathology, etc. But here is the opportunity, for those who would like to pursue it.

They're asking for 3.2 minimum in cGPA and sGPA. Would not have expected this, given the truncated cycle.

I thought that the 3.2 was a bit high also. Not that a 3.2 is high but for a school in the middle of the cycle and that nobody know anything about. Do you think they are going to screen at this gpa, and their 50th+ percentile mcat or this is what they believe to be competitive?

Reactions: 1 users
I thought that the 3.2 was a bit high also. Not that a 3.2 is high but for a school in the middle of the cycle and that nobody know anything about. Do you think they are going to screen at this gpa, and their 50th+ percentile mcat or this is what they believe to be competitive?
Yeah it really seems like these are the minimum that they are screening at. Students got into WSU's med program with <3.2 in at least 1 of the cumulative or science GPAs (likely some that had both <3.2).

I am curious what kind of 1st year stats they will post. My guess is that they will have to compromise those screening stats if they are going to truly factor in their mission (Idaho-centric). Otherwise, we will see students that were overlooked from the rest of the country, and don't care about Idaho, but fit the >3.2. Anyone know their 1st year class size?

Last edited:

"The most competitive applicants would have a science and cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher." -- from their website. So I think it suggests competitiveness.

Reactions: 1 user
"The most competitive applicants would have a science and cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher." -- from their website. So I think it suggests competitiveness.
Full paragraph from their website:

"You must have achieved at least a 3.2 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale to be considered. The admissions process is competitive, and a higher grade point average (above 3.2) results in improved chances for acceptance. The most competitive applicants would have a science and cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher. ICOM also places emphasis on the applicant’s interview."

Odd that they say both you must have a 3.2 to be considered and you will be most competitive with 3.2. I think you're right to say they mean competitiveness, but what a vague paragraph.

Full paragraph from their website:

"You must have achieved at least a 3.2 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale to be considered. The admissions process is competitive, and a higher grade point average (above 3.2) results in improved chances for acceptance. The most competitive applicants would have a science and cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher. ICOM also places emphasis on the applicant’s interview."

Odd that they say both you must have a 3.2 to be considered and you will be most competitive with 3.2. I think you're right to say they mean competitiveness, but what a vague paragraph.
ya i read that from the website thats why i asked doesnt make much sense to me. Also they say on the website that theyre looking for mcat withing 50th percentile so makes me believe that theyre hoping for that but would take a sub 500 considering the place that theyre in. Just my opinion though

I hate to blow up this feed but Does anybody know what BCOM's inaugural class stats were?

I hate to blow up this feed but Does anybody know what BCOM's inaugural class stats were?

You can find those numbers via google. It's a great tool.

ACCEPTED Student Profile
Average Overall GPA 3.45
Average Science GPA 3.39
Average MCAT Score 500
Female 46%
Male 54%
New Mexico Residents 9%
Minority Students 27%

Members don't see this ad :)
promising school
promising school
I looked through the faculty and essentially the rest of the website and I didn’t find any red flags, school wise, that weren’t already known (for profit, high tuition). I liked how the faculty looks, though don’t know what exactly to look for there. Seems to have lots of “hospital affiliations” which may be a good thing. Also not sure how significant 5 mil is across 10 years, for GME. But better than nothing.

Would love to see curriculum setup and class size.

Tuition is $49,750. ICOM promised tuition to be less than average among private MD/DO schools. I guess the mean is at 50k+ now??
Will they have financial AID? grad loans?

Has anyone submitted their primary to this school yet? I submitted yesterday and haven't received a confirmation email or anything yet. Just curious how the process will go and when to expect a secondary or confirmation email.
(I also have the same question about Financial aid, veterans benefits, and grad loans.)

Will they have financial AID? grad loans?

according to their recently updated FAQ page this is what I found:

"At this time, ICOM is not eligible to participate in federally sponsored student loan pro grams for the first two years of instruction. ICOM will apply for and comply with Title IV regulations to achieve eligibility at the earliest possible time. In the interim, ICOM will work with an independent financial lending partner which will allow the applicant to review, compare and apply for private (non-federal) student loans. ScholarNet will allow the applicant to learn about and compare private loan terms from multiple lenders side-by-side using their ScholarNet online tool. The applicant will not be restricted to selecting a lender from ScholarNet but will have the ability to seek their own private lenders as well."

according to their recently updated FAQ page this is what I found:

"At this time, ICOM is not eligible to participate in federally sponsored student loan pro grams for the first two years of instruction. ICOM will apply for and comply with Title IV regulations to achieve eligibility at the earliest possible time. In the interim, ICOM will work with an independent financial lending partner which will allow the applicant to review, compare and apply for private (non-federal) student loans. ScholarNet will allow the applicant to learn about and compare private loan terms from multiple lenders side-by-side using their ScholarNet online tool. The applicant will not be restricted to selecting a lender from ScholarNet but will have the ability to seek their own private lenders as well."
Someone on this forum said that they are affiliated with ISU or something and that they will have Financial Aid. Maybe they are not.

Someone on this forum said that they are affiliated with ISU or something and that they will have Financial Aid. Maybe they are not.

I hope so, that would be so nice!

Lol 3.2 science minimum for a new school entering in the middle of a cycle is interesting

Lol 3.2 science minimum for a new school entering in the middle of a cycle is interesting

and no financial aid and in the middle of nowhere.

Its funny, but some established schools have lower minimums like 2.8

Do they have an MCAT cutoff? I could see them just choosing GPA over MCAT and having an average MCAT of like 498 snapping up a bunch of higher GPA and low MCAT people.

This is for people who didn't get into U WA or WSU.

Exactly. Like I said, I think 60 or so people were leaving each year for DO schools in other states. This will enable them to stay home.

and no financial aid and in the middle of nowhere.

Its funny, but some established schools have lower minimums like 2.8

Meridian isn't exactly the middle of no where (I grew up there). It's a quick drive to Boise (like 20 min) which has tons of stuff to do. Also, Meridian has been blowing up lately with tons of new stuff. It's hardly like what I remember it as only a couple years ago. I drove through Yakima a while back and checked out PNWU. Despite the population of Yakima and Meridian being similar, Meridian somehow feels much bigger? Definitely just feelings on that one though.

Medical schools are a buyers market. They could say a 3.5 minimum and people would still jump through the hoops with a smile on their face.

Do they have an MCAT cutoff? I could see them just choosing GPA over MCAT and having an average MCAT of like 498 snapping up a bunch of higher GPA and low MCAT people.
websites says ICOM is looking for mcat within 50th percentile so not sure if that means hard cutoff or what...

without adding significant GME we can chalk this school up to another failure of the COCA system. Adding new schools without adding subsequent GME is garbage. ugh.

Plus it was just announced ANOTHER DO school is going to be built in provo Utah. So there will be ICOM and the 2 Utah schools not contributing signifigantly to GME in the region and adding 500 more graduates. Nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
without adding significant GME we can chalk this school up to another failure of the COCA system. Adding new schools without adding subsequent GME is garbage. ugh.

Plus it was just announced ANOTHER DO school is going to be built in provo Utah. So there will be ICOM and the 2 Utah schools not contributing signifigantly to GME in the region and adding 500 more graduates. Nice.

From what I've heard, they've been working with the hospitals in Idaho and nearby to set up new primary care residencies. I can't speak to what extent though (I'm willing to guess it won't end up enough for their graduating class).

From what I've heard, they've been working with the hospitals in Idaho and nearby to set up new primary care residencies. I can't speak to what extent though (I'm willing to guess it won't end up enough for their graduating class).

I would be mind blown if they are able to create over 30 new residency positions

Reactions: 2 users

Again, the point is to creat residency spots that can cover a majority of their class. 10 spots just doesn’t cut it. This is one thing most DO students don’t get, MD schools generally have enough residency spots to cover their entire class and then some. 10 IM spots at a community hospital isn’t enough. I’m addition, this wasn’t started by the school. The hospital took the initiative.

Again, the point is to creat residency spots that can cover a majority of their class. 10 spots just doesn’t cut it. This is one thing most DO students don’t get, MD schools generally have enough residency spots to cover their entire class and then some. 10 IM spots at a community hospital isn’t enough. I’m addition, this wasn’t started by the school. The hospital took the initiative.

I believe the Dean at ICOM (Hasty) was the one who created all the residency programs at CUSOM (close to 400 spots), so if it is possible, they probably picked the right person to do it.

I submitted my app today for ICOM. Got an email confirming my submission and it said,

"In celebration of ICOM opening for the inaugural class the secondary application and fee will be waived! The committee will begin reviewing completed applications during the next three weeks and will be certain to follow up with you by e-mail regarding the status of your application."

Do you guys understand this as there will not be a secondary at all for this cycle? That's what I think I'm understanding.

I submitted my app today for ICOM. Got an email confirming my submission and it said,

"In celebration of ICOM opening for the inaugural class the secondary application and fee will be waived! The committee will begin reviewing completed applications during the next three weeks and will be certain to follow up with you by e-mail regarding the status of your application."

Do you guys understand this as there will not be a secondary at all for this cycle? That's what I think I'm understanding.

It sounds like it.

I applied two days ago, but didn't receive the confirmation email, are you from the region?

It sounds like it.

I applied two days ago, but didn't receive the confirmation email, are you from the region?

Thanks for the response! I'm not from the 5 states that they list on their website, but I am from Washington. So my residence could still play a role because it's pretty close by.

Thanks for the response! I'm not from the 5 states that they list on their website, but I am from Washington. So my residence could still play a role because it's pretty close by.
Oh ok, I see. Well either way good luck and wish you nothing but the best!!

I applied and got the confirmation email. I went to school in East Idaho, but am from Arizona so we will see if that helps at all
I'm from California and earned my bachelor's in NC, so I don't really have any ties to Idaho at all. This could very well be the reason why I haven't received anything, its either that or my MCAT score.

I'm from California and earned my bachelor's in NC, so I don't really have any ties to Idaho at all. This could very well be the reason why I haven't received anything, its either that or my MCAT score.

I'm from California as well and just called to confirm they received my application. They couldn't see my application on their portal because it needed to re-sync so maybe first check your email and see if you just receieved and email (because I did 5 minutes ago) and then call and just politely ask them if they can see your application now :)

I'm from California as well and just called to confirm they received my application. They couldn't see my application on their portal because it needed to re-sync so maybe first check your email and see if you just receieved and email (because I did 5 minutes ago) and then call and just politely ask them if they can see your application now :)
Thank you!! I will check my email and if there's nothing there I will give them a call.

Suggested this school to a buddy with lowish stats. Say not much improves with regards to instate residencies, would grads be at a disadvantage in applying for residency overall or just in Idaho?

Thank you!! I will check my email and if there's nothing there I will give them a call.
I also applied on Wednesday but haven't received the confirmation emails. Have you tried calling yet?

I think there needs to be a thread started for this school in the School-Specific Discussion

would grads be at a disadvantage in applying for residency overall

Yes, but it wouldn’t be just specific to this school. You would have the general disadvantage inherent to most DO schools and the additional disadvantage of applying from a brand new school.

Applying to the instate residencies will probably only carry the only the issue of there being so few of them.