Ideal field of medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Excluding the money factor, which would be your choice for #1 residency/specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

As I still have about four years left until graduation (*), you should take my picks with a pinch of salt, but I consider myself a laid-back type of guy who'd rather be talking things over with my colleagues over a cup of coffee than being in the line of fire all day. I would also rather be in a setting where making a mistake or forgetting a technical detail meant an extra five or ten minutes of work for me, as opposed to being where it meant pain and suffering for someone else.

All in all, I'm first and foremost considering a career in pathology, radiology, psychiatry or occupational medicine, with infectious medicine (microbiology) being the dark horse.

But hey, that's just me... :)

(*) Medical education where I'm at (Sweden) is 7,5-8 years in all, and you can enter right after high school. It is also integrated, meaning that you normally see your first patients (living ones :)) the second day of training.

Dude, are you my long lost half-brother?

:wink:

Mindy

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask me in Three or Four years time, and I will be able to give you some answers by then.

still don't know, but here's what i'm thinking:

i came into med school thinking ped/reproductive genetics

...but who knows what'll happen after this year (M3)!!
-s.