Ideal time to start MCAT prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahmed786

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking the MCAT more or less exactly one year from today. Ideally, I would like to get in the high 30's/low 40's but I am unsure of when I should start beginning to study ie where is the point where studying for too long will hurt me rather than help. I plan on taking an extremely tough courseload in the fall and plan to take kaplan or tpr in the winter with a light courseload (I also want to do the examkrackers self study as well) before finally taking it in the summer. Would it be beneficial to start prepping with Verbal right now (or anything else for that matter) or am I simply wasting my time? When should I start studying hardcore (2-3 hours a day) in order to get 20 practice tests in and be well prepared?

Much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say studying now wouldn't hurt. Don't study hardcore or anything, but the more time you have to review the content, the better. Just keep it fresh in your mind and don't let stuff slip away like most people do once classes end.

Full length MCATs are probably what will help the most in pushing you up into the 95%, so those are important. I wouldn't suggest doing those until closer to test time (say 3 months before hand) since they're very taxing and wear on you. You don't want to burn out, but you do want to be very comfortable with the testing situations and format of the test.

Of course, opinons vary, so take this with the proverbial grain of salt.

if you don't read a lot, start now. this may help your verbal. one of my professors last semester bought me a book of essays on current topics in America and it is awesome. each essay is short and i can use them to train my critical thinking/reading skills. also, since the topics are current, i have relatively fresh material swimming in my brain for the writing section. i am also taking the MCAT in almost exactly one year...

so, FWIW, i say buy a book of essays and read , read, read!

Members don't see this ad :)
if you don't read a lot, start now. this may help your verbal. one of my professors last semester bought me a book of essays on current topics in America and it is awesome. each essay is short and i can use them to train my critical thinking/reading skills. also, since the topics are current, i have relatively fresh material swimming in my brain for the writing section. i am also taking the MCAT in almost exactly one year...

so, FWIW, i say buy a book of essays and read , read, read!

Could you please tell me the essay book title? thanks.

i've read a lot of people here reading the economist which works also. basically you wanna read things that are outside of your "comfort level" because that is what the mcat throws at you and expects to understand.