Ideally, how many practice MCATs should you take and when?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ideally, how many practice MCATs should you take and when? So far I hear one a week for 3 months prior to the actual test. What do you think works best?

Purpose is to plan my schedule ahead of time.

Edit (claification): Any and all practice tests. This includes AAMC, TPR, TBR, EK, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ideally, how many practice MCATs should you take and when? So far I hear one a week for 3 months prior to the actual test. What do you think works best?

Purpose is to plan my schedule ahead of time.

There's no point taking them until you're at least 80% through your content review.

Just take all the AAMCs + Self-Assessment. 4-5 weeks before your test, take them twice a week. One of those days should be the exact time of your actual MCAT. Make sure to leave yourself a day to review and don't just do the practice FL.. keep doing practice passages/review as well.

I took four of the AAMC ones, and I felt that was plenty. Take at least that many. And like others say, don't take any until you're mostly done reviewing content. No sense in wasting an exam or getting a bad score that freaks you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took AAMC 3 way back before I started content review as a diagnostic, then did the 4 PR tests I had and AAMC 3 again (since I forgot any specifics) during the last 2.5 weeks before my MCAT. I did them every two or three days, interspersed with EK 101 VR.

I felt it was a good amount to get the feel of the tests and build endurance without getting burned out.

While taking them all is the best, if you are short on money, I'm going to suggest taking 3, 10 and 11.

Take 3 once in the beginning just to get a feel of how it'll be, do your content review and take 3, 10 and 11 about a month before. Then review and re-target weak areas.

While taking them all is the best, if you are short on money, I'm going to suggest taking 3, 10 and 11.

Take 3 once in the beginning just to get a feel of how it'll be, do your content review and take 3, 10 and 11 about a month before. Then review and re-target weak areas.

Yep. If you're rich (or can afford it), take them all. And consider buying TBR's 7 FLs for $200. They're hard as **** (exaggeration), but really get you on your toes since the old AAMCs are somewhat easier, especially BS. If you're short on $$, take as many as you can afford, prioritizing 10 & 11 because they are just more relevant now.

I followed a modified Sn2ed study schedule and I took between 2-3 AAMC a week for a Month. Like Jepstein30 said you shouldn't take them until your near done with your content review. AAMC don't teach content, they should be use to improve you test taking logic and timing. They also show weak areas in your content knowledge.