Bradleyp1

15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
Visit site
Status
I am an MSIII looking for programs with a good reputation for matching or having good fellowships (cards pref.) located in the Southeastern region. If anyone could give me an idea of where to start looking (even if just for visting student electives) it would be of great help.
If it helps in your advice, my Step 1 is 230's and I am top five in my class (which is scary). I have looked a little into UAB, Duke, Wake, and UNC, but know almost nothing about the programs.
Thanks
Brad

cubby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2004
Status
You're on with those you mentioned, in my estimation Duke > UAB = Emory > UNC > Wake, but that's very subjective, differences may be slight, and others may disagree with tis order. Needless to say, all are strong programs. Also consider UVa and Vanderbilt. I don't know how "south" in the southeast you would like...Hopkins certainly isn't "southeast" but also isn't "northeast," you may want to consider them.

the citizen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2004
Status
dochuffman said:
I definitely agree... awesome program!
Especially for cards...

You got the other good ones, but remember UTSW if you don't mind Texas.

dochuffman

cath
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
the citizen said:
Especially for cards...

You got the other good ones, but remember UTSW if you don't mind Texas.
Definitely. I just wasn't thinking he would want to go that far south. If you don't mind Texas, both UTSW and Baylor have big names and reputation and an impressive history of placing people into cardiology. Both are top notch programs.

carol ann

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2004
Status
I interviewed in the southeast and I am happy to answer specific questions -- but if you want to read what people have written about the programs, you can search the forum by program name. There are quite a few good comments about all of the programs you are interested in. Here is a snapshot of how I felt about my interviews (in order of rank list)

Duke - LOVED IT, excellent quality of education/teaching. Did not seem at all malignant, but it's got somewhat of a reputation. No scrubs during daytime,only atnight. Short coats.

UNC - love the residents inthe program. Clearly not as much money devoted to resident education, yet it is an amazing experience.

Wake Forest - Nice program that seems at a crossroads...seems likely to go up, but very well may go down. Has lost some faculty over the years but such is the ebb and flow of mid level academic medicine.

Virginia - Amazing program, would have ranked it higher except my dh would rather not move to Charlottesville. Hospital felt a little small but they had, by far, the best conferences around.

Vanderbilt - seemed like a good program, but it just didn't feel right to me. I cannot explain why. I was also underwhelmed by Nashville.

Alabama - The residents and faculty were very talented and interesting. I was a little underwhelmed by their morning report, but overall a really great program in a very interesting area.

Carolinas Medical Center - although a community program, people have been able to do cards here. The increased flexibility of your rotations have enabled people to get A LOT more cards exposure prior to fellowship which helps them match to cards.

MUSC - the one program I did not rank. I loved the program director and the residents were all very nice. CHarleston is a great city, but I HATE DRIVING OVER BIG BRIDGES, so there is no way it was going to work for me.

rhoboat

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status
i would think about vanderbilt. their computer system is definitely better than any other southeast program, and the program continues to grow

Kat11

15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Status
Brad,

I agree with the above posts but I also recommend looking at the Frieda website and doing a geographical search. I think you can search for southeastern programs...Then I would take that list and talk with your chair or PD about specific programs.

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/