Quantcast

Ideas for Christmas gifts now that a lot of us are accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
So with Christmas coming up in just shy of a month, I was wondering what everyone is asking for Christmas that is medically related? I, in all honesty, don't really need anything, but I figure if my family is going to buy me stuff, it could at least be something that would be of good use to me in med school!

So...? Books? Software? Equipment? What would you guys suggest/what are you asking for?

Current med students, of course feel free to chime in on things that you are glad you got (whether it be a gift or not) or things you wish you had.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honest to god I'm asking for a cat.

So sad I'm so obsessed and don't even have one myself.

Beyond that id probably ask for First Aid or a UWorld subscription. Maybe Greys Anatomy or Robins medium since those seem like the most expensive books.

Reactions: 2 users

Imnotfromjersey

Reaction score
My first thought was a littmann cardio III stethesecope, but some schools give stethescopes to their students for free on behalf of their state osteopathic association.

My second thought was a copy of First Aid to have as a reference to annotate through ms-1 and ms-2, but the 2015 version copy comes out in January.

I would probably ask for an amazon giftcard for when I move and start med school in July. That or specific coat/bag and I've been wanting

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Beyond that id probably ask for First Aid or a UWorld subscription. Maybe Greys Anatomy or Robins medium since those seem like the most expensive books.

i have some sort of copy of grey's. it may be more like a student's version. and cats..? so allergic lol.

My first thought was a littmann cardio III stethesecope, but some schools give stethescopes to their students for free on behalf of their state osteopathic association.

My second thought was a copy of First Aid to have as a reference to annotate through ms-1 and ms-2, but the 2015 version copy comes out in January.

I would probably ask for an amazon gift to use for when I move and start med school in July. That or specific coat/bag and you've been wanting

yeah i have heard that about stethescopes. good point on the first aid.... and yeah someone else in the allo forum suggested amazon cards.. just so boring to give an receive despite their insane versatility.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have some sort of copy of grey's. it may be more like a student's version. and cats..? so allergic lol.

[

It probably is but I've heard the atlas is actually really good to have an it's the big one. I have a digital copy of Moores but I might get a hard copy.

Lol I'm allergic to but it's so worth it. The cat I want is actually shaved like a lion, mane and all.

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
then yeah i probably have the atlas.

see, all these books people talk about.. i have no idea about any of them lol. i need to be in the know!

Make Or Break

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we really need a stethoscope right away though? I heard some schools offer deals once the school year starts.

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
got cracked down on... didn't realize cross-posting was against the rules (but of course I read them... who wouldn't??!) even though they are in different populations of readers. my bad!

Awesome Sauceome

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ask for any of the books by atul gawande: complications, better, etc

They are very easy and good reads and provide a cool insight into the medical world.

Otherwise probably just clothes and whatnot, depending on the school you are going to you may need to stock up on new clothes (cold weather vs shorts)

Reactions: 2 users

JPickos9989

Reaction score
So with Christmas coming up in just shy of a month, I was wondering what everyone is asking for Christmas that is medically related? I, in all honesty, don't really need anything, but I figure if my family is going to buy me stuff, it could at least be something that would be of good use to me in med school!

So...? Books? Software? Equipment? What would you guys suggest/what are you asking for?

Current med students, of course feel free to chime in on things that you are glad you got (whether it be a gift or not) or things you wish you had.

A bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label.

But if you really want medical school related stuff, ask for a copy of First Aid for the USMLE 2014 since 2015 won't be out until January-ish or if you don't a later gift then get 2015. An anatomy atlas is pretty much a necessity if you don't have one and they are relatively cheap. Maybe an iPad or tablet because digital books for school tend to be slightly cheaper. Noise cancelling headphones (nice quality) for your inevitable hours in the library/studying and silence is golden.Wait until school starts to get your stethoscope because either you will get a deal on one or the school will provide one for you.

Honestly school stuff just sounds terrible to me for christmas, there's plenty of time to worry about all that later. WARM CLOTHES if you're going to school in a chillier climate, Patagonia is at the top of my list this year.

Reactions: 1 user

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, i'll be good on cold weather gear.

and i know i have plenty of time to worry about medical stuff, but i just don't really need anything else so i figure instead of having them buy me things i don't need and me never use them or whatever, might as well ask for things i know i will use in the future.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Littman Cardiology III. Accept no substitutes. I own a top of the line Welch Allen and electronic Littman. Neither come close to the versatility and quality of my Cardiology III.

Members don't see this ad :)

AM508

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure amazon gift cards here as I would rather wait for the textbook list for the year to come out rather than guessing at this point. I figure I will have a better idea of what extra study materials I need once school gets started. I agree with those who say the Littman Cardiology III. I had one for my 10 years while working in EMS and it was a phenomenal scope. Unfortunately, I left it in my bag in my car by mistake over night once and the temperature dropped to -20F and the tubing cracked so I need to buy a new one...Expensive mistake.

AM508

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What makes it the best stethoscope?

I have never used a scope where differentiating lung sounds and listening to heart sounds was easier in a relatively noisy environment.

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think an iPad or some other tablet would be useful. I have a lot of medical books on my iPad, which is more convenient than lugging around multiple 1000 page text books.

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
lol i may just end up buying these for myself, but i found

Atul Gawande "Better" and "Complications" both for <$10 each and also "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" for the same price. All hardcover, but used on Amazon.

The Henrietta Lacks story is the history of HeLa cells, if any of you are familiar with those. I've got quite a bit of downtime between now and starting school and think that all three of these could be really good reads!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805063196/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1G31V8EZLIGGE
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805082115/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AH87AK2HMCSJY
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400052173/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1G31V8EZLIGGE

I think an iPad or some other tablet would be useful. I have a lot of medical books on my iPad, which is more convenient than lugging around multiple 1000 page text books.

yeah i should probably convert... sigh. i like paper books, but obviously really good points.

AM508

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah i should probably convert... sigh. i like paper books, but obviously really good points.

I hear you there. Being older (32), I grew up with hardcopy books and am still much more comfortable studying from them than I am staring at a computer or tablet screen for hours on end. Do not mistake me for a technophobe though, I have been using, designing and modifying PC's since ~1990, but they still don't replace a good ole-fashioned textbook for study time for me.

Bokeh

Reaction score

You're getting a Maine Coon, right? Go big or go home.
droppedImage_5.jpg

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear you there. Being older (32), I grew up with hardcopy books and am still much more comfortable studying from them than I am staring at a computer or tablet screen for hours on end. Do not mistake me for a technophobe though, I have been using, designing and modifying PC's since ~1990, but they still don't replace a good ole-fashioned textbook for study time for me.

i'm 22, but still just like the paper book. i mean i have read tons of ebooks, but i like highlighting in textbooks and i know you can do that digitally... but there is just something about pushing highlighter to page haha. i'll probably get over it just fine, but you are right. i'll probably invest in a nice tablet. not sure i'll do ipad only because i don't own anything else mac.

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I agree that physical textbooks are easier to learn from, but when you're at the hospital carrying textbooks with you is not practical whereas carrying an iPad is do able. Additionally, ebooks are typically 2/3 the price of a hardcover.

Bokeh

Reaction score
i'm 22, but still just like the paper book. i mean i have read tons of ebooks, but i like highlighting in textbooks and i know you can do that digitally... but there is just something about pushing highlighter to page haha. i'll probably get over it just fine, but you are right. i'll probably invest in a nice tablet. not sure i'll do ipad only because i don't own anything else mac.
I think there is a learning and adjustment period to transitioning to digital note taking. Taking notes by hand is so fluid to most of us. When you switch to digital note taking strategies, I feel people tend to focus on how they are taking and organizing their notes more than they do with pen and paper. Once you get comfortable with a digital method that works well for you, the process becomes as fluid as pen and paper, at least in my experience. This might be something you could work on in the time leading up to the start of school.

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree that physical textbooks are easier to learn from, but when you're at the hospital carrying textbooks with you is not practical whereas carrying an iPad is do able. Additionally, ebooks are typically 2/3 the price of a hardcover.

saving $100 now means like $300 at the end of my loan's life... very significant

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
droppedImage_5.jpg

Gah I wish! The cat is black with white patches has bright green eyes and a lions mane!

It's also an outdoor cat, spends a few hours roaming the neighborhood and comes back home when he's hungry. He had a personality that's for sure. And my SO loves him. She has three cats already so we might have 4 cats next year!

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hah, well the portability of an iPad/tablet was my main argument.

just to clear things up, i was being serious (just in case there was any confusion that i was being sarcastic haha).

no, it really does make sense... i'll likely have to get a new tablet and laptop to start school.

i'm not sure i want to do EVERYTHING from a tablet.

AM508

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
... when you're at the hospital carrying textbooks with you is not practical whereas carrying an iPad is do able...

Oh don't get me wrong I definitely see the need for it. In fact, my school has an iPad requirement so I will definitely have the capability to do that. The iPad part does scare me a bit because while I know all the ins and outs of most versions of Windows and I am totally a newb when it comes to Apple products as I generally avoid them like the plague.

Bokeh

Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong I definitely see the need for it. In fact, my school has an iPad requirement so I will definitely have the capability to do that. The iPad part does scare me a bit because while I know all the ins and outs of most versions of Windows and I am totally a newb when it comes to Apple products as I generally avoid them like the plague.
Windows products are far more complicated than Apple products in terms of being user friendly. You'll adjust quick. :p

DoctorKrieger

Exit Van Left
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't get any books until school starts. Your upperclassmen will give you every ebook available and probably a few of their hard copies they don't need anymore. Same goes for the stethoscope, my state's osteopathic association gave us all cardio IIIs.

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't get any books until school starts. Your upperclassmen will give you every ebook available and probably a few of their hard copies they don't need anymore. Same goes for the stethoscope, my state's osteopathic association gave us all cardio IIIs.

I assume you mean textbooks right?

AMH0514

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with @Bokeh. I converted to Mac almost 2 years ago and now that I have to switch back to Windows for school my heart is broken...:cryi:

Bokeh

Reaction score
Gah I wish! The cat is black with white patches has bright green eyes and a lions mane!

It's also an outdoor cat, spends a few hours roaming the neighborhood and comes back home when he's hungry. He had a personality that's for sure. And my SO loves him. She has three cats already so we might have 4 cats next year!

:whoa:You sure it isn't a white sweater? Don't be taking @AMH0514 's pet.

Flashfan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have stuff to furnish your apartment? I have been told to get a crock pot.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:whoa:You sure it isn't a white sweater? Don't be taking @AMH0514 's pet.

HAHAHA nope! This cat doesn't wear sweaters (yet...YET). He's an outdoor cat and I have to bathe him everyday, he actually enjoys it surprisingly.

Also @AMH0514 's cat doesn't have a lions mane like this:

601-Pepper-the-Cat.jpg

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It isn't even my cat unfortunately! Google's cat. I'm with @AlteredScale in that I love cats but don't own one...yet...

So it's settled that those with cat avatars probably don't have cats but have a obsession with them anyways.

Goro's avatar is even his daughter's cat. I think Catalisk probably owns cats...a lot of them!

AM508

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
He's an outdoor cat and I have to bathe him everyday, he actually enjoys it surprisingly.

Heh...that is a lucky thing. I have had precisely one experience bathing a cat. Lets just say that all parties involved in that endeavor were unhappy. Said cat was wet and pissed and I was bleeding from multiple sites. I think that is the reason why I always tell people that, "I like cats.....that other people own and keep at their house that I can visit".:laugh:

Reactions: 1 users

Bokeh

Reaction score
So it's settled that those with cat avatars probably don't have cats but have a obsession with them anyways.

Goro's avatar is even his daughter's cat. I think Catalisk probably owns cats...a lot of them!
For some reason this video came to mind.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heh...that is a lucky thing. I have had precisely one experience bathing a cat. Lets just say that all parties involved in that endeavor were unhappy. Said cat was wet and pissed and I was bleeding from multiple sites. I think that is the reason why I always tell people that, "I like cats.....that other people own and keep at their house that I can visit".:laugh:

Hahaha I agree, most cats hattte baths. But this one has..given up, he knows it's coming because he rolls around the the dirt (like a..dog?). Because of his huge eyeballs you can kind of tell he is a bit pissed but not enough to cause level I trauma to me body.

AM508

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am shocked that there is not a dedicated cat picture thread here. I don't think I have ever been on an internet forum without such a thread.:laugh:

DoctorKrieger

Exit Van Left
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I assume you mean textbooks right?
Yes. You'll likely be given a digital copy of any popular med school book (BRS, First Aid, Anatomy Atlases, etc.). It's not exactly legal, but they'll be available if you want it.

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Shirts, ties, dress pants, dress shoes, and belts.

Unless the school I go to requires formal dress, I will be fine on everything. Even if they do, i will only need another pair of pants and a few shirts or so. But definitely a good option for those that will have to wear formal dress or whose clothes could use replacement

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am shocked that there is not a dedicated cat picture thread here. I don't think I have ever been on an internet forum without such a thread.:laugh:

That would be amazing, but we have to relate it to pre med somehow. Perhaps "picture of cats for stress relief during cycle" (application cycle that is)

AM508

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unless the school I go to requires formal dress, I will be fine on everything. Even if they do, i will only need another pair of pants and a few shirts or so. But definitely a good option for those that will have to wear formal dress or whose clothes could use replacement

That, and I prefer to pick things out like that myself. When I get clothes as a gift 75 % of them end up in the back of my closet, never being worn. People may think me boring, but that is why I always request gift cards only.

diesel2101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
droppedImage_5.jpg

haha I'll be moving with my newly adopted Maine Coon. He's a year old and like 15 lbs.

Reactions: 1 users