Ideas for diversity essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdpls!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to start pre-writing some secondaries and am struggling with the diversity essay being a white male from an upper middle class family.

1) One thought was to write about my love of history and how it has given me a unique perspective by which to look at how people interact with the world around them. I took a lot of classes in college (enough to get a minor) on the history of medicine. I also studied the history of medicine abroad for a semester. I wanted to write about how my childhood-adulthood fascination with history has allowed me to bridge the gap between the science of disease (which premeds get from all their coursework), and the human impact and experience of disease. Essentially it has given me a unique perspective by which to address medicine in the individual, from a holistic standpoint, and society.
My concern is I've read that things you study does not count as diversity, and I totally understand that. I am struggling though to think of other aspects of my identity that are diverse, and I feel as though it's more than just something I have studied since it has been a love of mine since I was a kid.

EDIT: 2) My other idea was to talk about how I grew up with my mom and dad in a single home, but they got divorced when I was 6 and I was living between different houses. When I lived with my mother we were also taking care of my sick grandmother. When I was in high school, however, my parents got remarried back to one another after some dating while I was in middle school, and I now have only one home again. I can talk about how this unique upbringing has influenced the way I approach working with people and my attitude towards maintaining a positive outlook during times of stress. (As well as some other influences)

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nope, don't go there. This from someone who loves history.

If you were a Civil War reenactor, or a docent at a historical site, that would be great fodder.

Merely being interested in something isn't going to fly, in my book

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Nope, don't go there. This from someone who loves history.

If you were a Civil War reenactor, or a docent at a historical site, that would be great fodder.

Merely being interested in something isn't going to fly, in my book
Hi there @Goro , nice to speak with you again! Thank you for your comment. I totally agree. As soon as I saw you commented I had the idea (posted above) regarding my household changes as I grew up. Does this type of experience seem more in line with what this essay is looking for?