Ideas for Independent Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yazo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm going to meet with the head of our department to discuss some research I could do this semester. What are some interesting topics I could bring up to him that would also benefit my medical school application?

Thanks in advance. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

The idea that you, as an undergrad with minimal background knowledge and research experience, can independently generate research hypotheses that are both relevant and experimentally feasible is pretty far fetched. Did the dept head tell you to bring ideas? Your best bet is to mention your enthusiasm and work ethic and inquire if there are professors or projects in the department which could use some help.

Also the topic of your research really doesn't matter much as far as med school admissions.

Reactions: 1 user
Way too broad of an initial post. We don't even know what department you're in. Anyways, mcloaf is correct. Schools want to see you develop your understanding of the scientific method and critical thinking skills.

Reactions: 1 user