Ideas for what I could do this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lukian Robert

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just finished my second year of college and I was planning to volunteer at a hospital to get clinical experience over the summer. Unfortunately, all the hospitals near my hometown have closed their applications for summer volunteers. I'll have to apply again for Fall so that I can volunteer during the school year.

Here are things I’m currently doing this summer:

1) Working part-time at a Korean restaurant. It’s my first time working in the hospitality industry, and it’s been a great learning experience so far. Is this something I should mention when applying to med schools?
2) Taking Korean language lessons.
3) Planning to shadow a few doctors and a PA.
4) Getting involved with my Taekwondo club. I've been practicing the sport for 10 years and it's something I'm really passionate about (I might volunteer there if they accept, to help with little kids).

Despite all of this, I still have some time on my hands and was wondering what I could do with it? Should I look for more volunteer opportunities? Is it fine if it's not clinical? I was really hoping I could have some clinical exposure this summer as I did nothing the summer after freshman year.

What did you the summer after your sophomore year or what are you planning to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteering does not HAVE to be in a hospital setting. AND...any reason you can't get some non-clinical volunteering done over the summer?

Hey guys!

I just finished my second year of college and I was planning to volunteer at a hospital to get clinical experience over the summer. Unfortunately, all the hospitals near my hometown have closed their applications for summer volunteers. I'll have to apply again for Fall so that I can volunteer during the school year.

Here are things I’m currently doing this summer:

1) Working part-time at a Korean restaurant. It’s my first time working in the hospitality industry, and it’s been a great learning experience so far. Is this something I should mention when applying to med schools?
2) Taking Korean language lessons.
3) Planning to shadow a few doctors and a PA.
4) Getting involved with my Taekwondo club. I've been practicing the sport for 10 years and it's something I'm really passionate about (I might volunteer there if they accept, to help with little kids).

Despite all of this, I still have some time on my hands and was wondering what I could do with it? Should I look for more volunteer opportunities? Is it fine if it's not clinical? I was really hoping I could have some clinical exposure this summer as I did nothing the summer after freshman year.

What did you the summer after your sophomore year or what are you planning to do?
Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Reactions: 1 users
You might want to see if a social service agency in your area, or a physician or member of the clergy, can match you up with a shut-in who needs a friendly visitor on a weekly basis or a family that needs someone to stay with an elderly or disabled family member so the rest of the family can have a respite. It would be great if you could be matched with someone who speaks Korean. It doesn't matter that this isn't clinical; it meets a need for someone who is alone or who needs help.

You could also see if there is a need at a soup kitchen, food pantry, shelter, free clinic, or other social service/clinical setting other than a hospital.

Reactions: 1 users