If a DO student does allopathic residency, will their title be changed to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrichie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say a DO medical student takes the USMLE and applied to the allopathic residency program. If the student is matched into a competitive allopathic emergency medicine residency, will their degree change from DO to MD, or will it remain as DO?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
no the DO degree is sick. MD is old news. DO is the new wave

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Let's say a DO medical student takes the USMLE and applied to the allopathic residency program. If the student is matched into a competitive allopathic emergency medicine residency, will their degree change from DO to MD, or will it remain as DO?
Students who go to a DO school get a DO degree and MD students get an MD degree that remains forever. AT Still is the only MD,DO ever I believe

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely not lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Dude/ma’am, if you don’t want to be a DO then just don’t go

Reactions: 5 users
Students who go to a DO school get a DO degree and MD students get an MD degree that remains forever. AT Still is the only MD,DO ever I believe
The state of California at some point offered to covert a DO to MD for about $65. This was like 70-80 years ago I think.

They’re all “allopathic residencies” now.

Oh man...smdh. You need to take a course in allopathic medicine. They have good job opportunities...

Reactions: 2 users
The state of California at some point offered to covert a DO to MD for about $65. This was like 70-80 years ago I think.

This happened in 1962. The ONLY reason I know this is because it was a question on one of my OS tests lol

Is this a serious question??

Not remotely true.

My university president is an MD, DO. He graduated from our school (1980s? 90s?), got mad he couldn’t get into orthopedic surgery as a DO, went to the Caribbean to get an MD, and then ended up doing anesthesia anyways.

• Haha

There is no way to convert your DO degree to an MD degree and there probably never will be, at least in the foreseeable future. The reverse is also true.

Dude/ma’am, if you don’t want to be a DO then just don’t go

OP might just want to confirm this so he/she can avoid Allo residencies and keep the DO letters behind his/her name.

I'll also add to the above that if you do match into a competitive residency, essentially no one will care about the letters after your name. Your medical training will distinguish you far more than the degree you got.

This isn’t an egregious question and OP got their answer.

This happened in 1962. The ONLY reason I know this is because it was a question on one of my OS tests lol

I remembered reading about it in Bob Jones' book but did not remember the exact year. Thanks. Now it'll stick in my mind forever :)

It's a fascinating story! What has to almost admire the ruthlessness and cunning of the California medical associationain in how close they came in to eradicating osteopathy in the state of California

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.