Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

If a med school interviewer said what is the biggest problem in medicine today?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by trouserz, Sep 12, 2001.

1. trouserz

trouserz Member
    7+ Year Member

what would u say?
    here is mine. I feel there is too much emphasis on technology laden medical research and a deemphasis on bedside diagnosis. I feel technology is making curing people easier for drs but in the long run it is emptying peoples pockets and forcing 3rd party payers to cut costs. Oh the headaches of living in a capitalist society. I am a strong believer that the poor should not become the "lab rats" for med students and residents and attendings to try different things because this is one of the only way they can pay. WE NEED TO EITHER MAKE TECHNOLOGY MORE ACCESSABLE TO EVERYONE OR PRODUCE MORE TECHNOLOGIES AND TECHNIQUES THAT MAKES DIAGNOSTICS CHEAPER.

2. trouserz

trouserz Member
    7+ Year Member

YES MY SPELLING IS ATROCIOUS

3. platinumdoc

platinumdoc Member
    7+ Year Member

I would refer to the quality of GME in this day. Many physicians are leaving the academic world to retire or go into private practice. We are left with a lot of junior level attendings with a large fund of knowledge but are limited in experience. Where is the future of GME heading? Another problem related to GME is the way a medical student pursues his/her specialty. How can a person choose for the rest of his/her life the pathway of training? Base it on one or two rotations with 1 elective? Maybe we should start doing Preliminary internships and applying for residency after 1 year of real clinical practice.

4. I agree here. A couple of my friends enjoyed their psychiatry rotations in med school and went into a psychiatric residency program. After a year of residency, they discovered that they hated psychiatry. They found that the rotations in med school were not enough exposure to make a residency decision.

5. trouserz

trouserz Member
    7+ Year Member

not to be rude guys but i believe medicine is not for med students but for the patients. feel free to rip me a new ass*&%e if you want

6. Barin

Barin Member
    7+ Year Member

how about that?

About there weeks ago a woman was admitted to the emergency room of my community hospital. She was on the ninth month of pregnancy with her due date within two weeks, and was taken from her workplace after she lost her consciousness and fell. She uncertainly complained me, when I was drawing her blood, that she had to work for twelve days without a day off because she felt she could loose her job if she request one. And amazingly, her employer was American Red Cross.

7. Gator

Gator Member
    7+ Year Member

That is sad to hear but all very true. But then you have the flip side of that where people take advantage of emergency medicine ,or even those who try to defraud the insurance companies, I see this all the time.