If a person just earned his MD degree from a European country, can he specialize in the US/Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nxmeless

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
He just earned his MD degree from a country in europe. Can he specialize (do his residency) in the US or Canada ? If yes , will he receive just as much money as US medical residents do ?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, if a program agrees to let him in. And yes, the pay is the same.

Its much more difficult in Canada, you need to be a Canadian PR or Citizen first and even then the competition is fierce. In the US it is possible if you have USCE, and strong Step 1 and 2 scores. Pay is the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its much more difficult in Canada, you need to be a Canadian PR or Citizen first and even then the competition is fierce. In the US it is possible if you have USCE, and strong Step 1 and 2 scores. Pay is the same.
What if the person doesnt have USCE ? I was told that observerships/externships are recommended for international medical graduates but not compulsory (before applying for a residency spot in the US) . As far as i am concerned , img(s) only need ECFMG certification before they can apply for a residency spot in the US. Please correct if i am wrong.

What if the person doesnt have USCE ? I was told that observerships/externships are recommended for international medical graduates but not compulsory (before applying for a residency spot in the US) . As far as i am concerned , img(s) only need ECFMG certification before they can apply for a residency spot in the US. Please correct if i am wrong.

True, all you need is ECFMG certification, but without strong USMLE scores and US clinical experience, mainly electives, how else are you going to get the 3 US reference letters for your application? You probably won't get matched.