If an interviewer tells you “you can (informal action)”, is it ever a test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isoval

Moving up the totem pole again.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

A question has been on my mind recently:

If an interviewer says you may do something informal, such as pointing to a couch and saying “make yourself comfortable” or “you can take your jacket off”, is this ever a test or trick questio? Or is it genuine?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

If an interviewer says you may do something informal, such as pointing to a couch and saying “make yourself comfortable” or “you can take your jacket off”, is this ever a test or trick questio? Or is it genuine?

They are being genuine. Why would they be trying to trick you? Doesn't make any sense.

Make yourself comfortable doesn't mean stripping down to your underwear, lying, or sitting weird. It is just a polite way to help put you at ease.

Take your jacket off, this may not be directly a trick, but if you don't know the correct way you'll end up looking like a dunce.

Reactions: 3 users
Was the couch black pleather and in some shady office?

Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They are being genuine. Why would they be trying to trick you? Doesn't make any sense.

Make yourself comfortable doesn't mean stripping down to your underwear, lying, or sitting weird. It is just a polite way to help put you at ease.

Take your jacket off, this may not be directly a trick, but if you don't know the correct way you'll end up looking like a dunce.

How do I take a jacket off....do I put it on my lap after...

Reactions: 3 users
Letting you take off your jacket is a curtesy, offering you a piece of gum is a test.

LOL don't over think it. What are they suppose to tell you? "Don't make yourself comfortable; put on an extra jacket"?

When you say "thank you" to them at the end, are you testing them?

Reactions: 1 users
LOL don't over think it. What are they suppose to tell you? "Don't make yourself comfortable; put on an extra jacket"?

When you say "thank you" to them at the end, are you testing them?

I guess I need to bring two jackets next time :(

It's the interviewer being polite. Rule of thumb " see what they are doing". Them telling you "make yourself comfortable" is just an ice breaker way of saying have a seat and lets start this process. Having interviewed for residency, fellowships and now jobs, I can tell you the best thing to do is to note the environment you're in. If you have someone ultra conservative then act conservative, but if you have someone super chill then still be professional and polite but you should be able to be a little more relaxed. Most places you interview for residency are going to want to get to know you not scare you away. Its a chance for two parties to see what they like about you and you about them. I can tell you things I have noticed when I have interviewed people for fellowship spots (Our program is heavily determined by the fellows input so we do interviews with people with only fellows after they have toured our facility and done interviews with the fellows + pd). Sometimes we go out to a Restaraunt at the end of the interview day with all the interviewees and I notice that most interviewees will see what we order for food and beverage
(they don't want to be the one ordering tequila shots if we are all having sodas/waters). I see interviewees relax when they are at the restaurant and we just all talk like normal people but they still maintain a level of professionalism. They may be more forth right about asking fellows questions about the town, night life, things to do etc in this setting over the formal interviews. THey may ask more about things we might not like about the program as well. My best advice is just relax, be yourself, don't do anything that would break the bounds of common sense and you will be alright. Its okay to mention things like your nervous if you stutter or need to take a quick second to answer a question. It is not unintelligent to say "I have never thought of that scenario before so I do not know but thinking about it now I feel......". Just don't bs people because thats easy to tell and may have people thinking your sketchy or weird....THis is just my humble and honest opinion

Reactions: 6 users
Oh god, you're right. I need to prepare for every possibility!

This is off-note but I had one job interview where the interviewer asked me "how many copies of resume you brought"? to see how many interviewers I was expecting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

If you have been invited for an interview, it's because an admissions committee is interested in you and wants to see if you are a good fit. They don't gain anything by tricking you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi guys,

For you, yes. For all other candidates, no.

Seriously, take two of these:
upload_2017-8-26_9-23-39.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users
It's not a test in that they're not looking for any particular response. It's just part of normal interaction - if anybody came into your office, you'd probably want them to make themselves comfortable too. But don't take this too far - 'make yourself comfortable' doesn't mean you can start cussing when you speak (if you do this around your friends or at home) or take your shoes off and put your feet on the coffee table. It means you can 'make yourself comfortable' but you must remain professional.

Reactions: 1 user
How do I take a jacket off....do I put it on my lap after...

Generally speaking, do not remove the jacket. Make sure you know the correct way so you don't look like a stoner trying to get the jacket back on.

Reactions: 1 user
If I took my jacket off, I'd have to take my tie off too, because a tie without a jacket looks silly (no offense to any mormons out there). But then it feels kind of weird to wear a dress shirt with no tie, so I'd probably discard the dress shirt also. And wearing suit pants while bare chested is obviously kind of strange, so I'd probably just take off the pants, too.

Assuming I have a "chill" interviewer, this would be okay, right? I mean, don't ask me to get comfortable if you don't want me to get comfortable.

If I took my jacket off, I'd have to take my tie off too, because a tie without a jacket looks silly (no offense to any mormons out there). But then it feels kind of weird to wear a dress shirt with no tie, so I'd probably discard the dress shirt also. And wearing suit pants while bare chested is obviously kind of strange, so I'd probably just take off the pants, too.

Assuming I have a "chill" interviewer, this would be okay, right? I mean, don't ask me to get comfortable if you don't want me to get comfortable.

absolutely. Ask the interviewer to get you a soda and some chips too while your at it :)

Reactions: 4 users

And to get really comfortable, ask for a beer and nachos.

Reactions: 2 users
All good advice. Is it also acceptable to have headphones in during the interview?

Texting, listening to music, studying, or watching youtube are all perfectly acceptable. It really goes to show how well you multitask. That, yes, I can handle medical school.

My suggestion is this: when you walk in, tell THEM to take off their coat and have a seat on the couch. It shows that you are in charge and establishes dominance early.

Reactions: 8 users
Discussing fantasy football is a definite must...It shows you're not a nerd and that if all else fails and you stink they will have something to chat with you about, as opposed just stinks and is socially awkward :)

*comes in to make a sarcastic troll comment*

"Nah, they handling it."

*leaves*