If anyone wants to help me understand this CARS question, it would be greatly appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

Maybe someone that's already done the CARS Q packs could help me if you are somewhat familiar with the passage and don't mind.
From the passage, it sounds like the author is arguing that viewers of movies are not stupid enough to blindly fall for product advertising in movies. This seems to be what the critics of movie advertising are arguing. The author thinks that audience members are more intelligent than that. Thus, to answer this question, if there were a case of audience members blindly going out and buying something after seeing it in a movie, that would weaken the author's (brand defender's) argument. For this reason, I chose A. The argument for why it is wrong, from what I can read, is that the passage has nothing to do with sales of livestock....

C (the correct Answer) just sounds like the complete opposite of what I thought based on the author's argument. According to the reasoning, if viewers "were not aware, and were not resisting it" 'it' being the pull to buy something after seeing it in a movie, why would sales drop?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• passage 1 A.PNG
    passage 1 A.PNG
    156 KB · Views: 122
  • passage 1.PNG
    passage 1.PNG
    198.1 KB · Views: 137
  • snip 1 B.PNG
    snip 1 B.PNG
    110.5 KB · Views: 147
  • snip 1 C.PNG
    snip 1 C.PNG
    141.2 KB · Views: 161
The author implies product placement can feel quite unnatural to the audience when its too obvious, regardless of the ineffectiveness in "good" product placement

Members don't see this ad :)
This is all about brands so if the answer doesn't mention it, you can eliminate it. That's why A and D are quickly eliminated, leaving B & C. B is out because education about brands and purchasing doesn't influence purchasing decisions implies that moviegoers are already actively resisting, so this supports the author. That leaves C.

So, why is C correct? The author proposes that moviegoers that see brands in movies actively resist while watching the movie, which means they may or may not buy the products afterward. What C says is that moviegoers see brands BEFORE the movie and there is a drop of sales in the brand. What this implies is that moviegoers aren't actually resisting if they are seeing the brand before the movie (moviegoers are AWARE), so what makes anyone believe they will be resisting (will be AWARE) DURING the movie?

This is all about brands so if the answer doesn't mention it, you can eliminate it. That's why A and D are quickly eliminated, leaving B & C. B is out because education about brands and purchasing doesn't influence purchasing decisions implies that moviegoers are already actively resisting, so this supports the author. That leaves C.

So, why is C correct? The author proposes that moviegoers that see brands in movies actively resist while watching the movie, which means they may or may not buy the products afterward. What C says is that moviegoers see brands BEFORE the movie and there is a drop of sales in the brand. What this implies is that moviegoers aren't actually resisting if they are seeing the brand before the movie (moviegoers are AWARE), so what makes anyone believe they will be resisting (will be AWARE) DURING the movie?
Oh, so you're saying their 'sophistication' isn't actually sophisticated thinking, it's more that they are already aware before the movie and thus are not resisting?

Sorry, I re-read what I wrote and there was a typo.

Think of it like this:
If the moviegoers see the the brands before the movie and sales drop, this implies they are not actively resisting (here it should say NOT AWARE in my last post). This goes against the logic of the author because the author states that moviegoers during a movie should be ACTIVELY RESISTING. If the above statement is true (moviegoers seeing the brands before the movie part), by extension, moviegoers that are watching movies will NOT BE ACTIVELY RESISTING DURING movies because they are UNWARNED.