If Dentistry Was Socialized, Would You Still Be Attracted to iT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If Dentistry Was Socialized, Would You Still Be Attracted to iT?

• Total voters

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If dentistry was socialized, would you still be attracted to it? For instance: in the UK, dentistry is free and available for all who need it, but their earnings are generally lower than in the USA.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... I thought in the UK dentists have the option of either practicing on their own or as part of their National Health Service??

I remember reading a New York Times article last year that UK's NHS does not pay very much so not many dentists there sign on, which is why whenever a dentist announces they will take NHS cases, people would be lined up all the way around the block.

I am working in Taiwan right now and they do have National Health Insurance that covers basic restorative, recall, root canals and exos, but dentists here still make a pretty comfortable living because the more expensive procedures such as fixed, removable and therapeutic perio care are all out-of-pocket.

UBTom said:
Hmm... I thought in the UK dentists have the option of either practicing on their own or as part of their National Health Service??

I remember reading a New York Times article last year that UK's NHS does not pay very much so not many dentists there sign on, which is why whenever a dentist announces they will take NHS cases, people would be lined up all the way around the block.

I am working in Taiwan right now and they do have National Health Insurance that covers basic restorative, recall, root canals and exos, but dentists here still make a pretty comfortable living because the more expensive procedures such as fixed, removable and therapeutic perio care are all out-of-pocket.

You may be correct, but I was under the impression that it was socialized in-and-out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would I still be attracted to it? Sure. Would I be attracted enough to make the same career decision...? Enh. Maybe, maybe not.

Like a moth to a flame, baby.