If doing research ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one is to do research under an attending and his research associate/partner, is it proper etiquette to ask if they would be willing to pay a stipend for your work in their clinical research investigation (which will lead to a publication), or should one never ask for a stipend and wait for them to mention a potential stipend based off your work? This is one thing I never figurred out, but have an idea that one should probably wait. What are your opinions on this matter?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't make this inquiry at the initial meeting, I think the you lose the opportunity.

Ah, so how should one ask -- "Is there a possibility for a stipend for being a part of the research opportunity?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Something like that. Or whether they have research funding for a student researcher, or whether this would be an unfunded position, etc.

Thank you.

Also ask if they know of opportunities for you to apply for your own funding. Someone in the med school administration might be able to help you too -- at our school, they have some grants available for med students doing research that come with a stipend. I think if you show some initiative in looking for your own funding, that makes it less risky/awkward to broach the subject.

Most grant opportunities require applications due by Februaryish for that summer. Start early!

Also ask if they know of opportunities for you to apply for your own funding. Someone in the med school administration might be able to help you too -- at our school, they have some grants available for med students doing research that come with a stipend. I think if you show some initiative in looking for your own funding, that makes it less risky/awkward to broach the subject.

I plan to return to that lab. The med school I have been accepted to provides grant money for MS-I's to do research in the summer prior to MS-II. I have informed them of this beforehand.

Don't be afraid about asking, I think most attendings know the difficulty of living on a students budget and won't take offense to the question :thumbup:

Don't be afraid about asking, I think most attendings know the difficulty of living on a students budget and won't take offense to the question :thumbup:

Thank you. I met with the research associate and she said she would ask the attending about it. The attending later mentioned about a separate meeting to discuss the research, and that meeting is still pending.

You can ask "if there is a departmental stipend or if you should apply for an outside grant?" That way you look responsible.

"and how much will I get paid?" works well. Sometimes it's awkward for a bit, but awkwardness is a lot of fun.

You can ask "if there is a departmental stipend or if you should apply for an outside grant?" That way you look responsible.

:thumbup: I like this answer.

Really I think that if you are doing work funded by a federal grant or drug/diagnostic company, then there should be some peanuts available for you. The PI's cut of the cash is typically substantial just to be in charge.

:thumbup: I like this answer.

Really I think that if you are doing work funded by a federal grant or drug/diagnostic company, then there should be some peanuts available for you. The PI's cut of the cash is typically substantial just to be in charge.

Thanks guys for the help.