If get 2nd MCAT scores after complete primaries, too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If apply (primaries and then secondaries) in June, but retake a low MCAT of say 27T, and receive scores in August after primaries/secondaries are complete and send an improved updated score (i.e. 35T), is this update too late for schools to check for interview purposes?
Do schools re-check mcat/gpa updates for primaries? Assume cgpa ~3.4.

I figured with the thousands of applications, schools won't have time to re-check everyone's updates in time and I can't afford to wait another year to apply for financial reasons. I doubt applying in Aug would help such situation.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No it won't be too late. Just make sure that you specify on your applications that you are planning on taking it again. The schools will receive your updated scores after you release your scores. It would be a good idea however, to email or call each school to make sure that they did receive the updated score. Good luck on the mcat and with this upcoming application cycle.

No it won't be too late. Just make sure that you specify on your applications that you are planning on taking it again. The schools will receive your updated scores after you release your scores. It would be a good idea however, to email or call each school to make sure that they did receive the updated score. Good luck on the mcat and with this upcoming application cycle.

where would you specify that you are planning on taking it again? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If you mark on AMCAS that you are re-taking the MCAT schools will put your application on hold until the new score arrives. Some schools may still send secondaries but you shouldn't worry about not having your best application possible out there, or updates, as you'll be on hold and not complete and under review until the new score comes on. However, if you submit AMCAS without saying you are retaking, then yes, schools will have you under review and you'll be judged based upon that and while it is important that you retake and update them with your scores, depending on individual schools this may or may not have as large of an effect as notifying them ahead of time would.

Thanks! I didn't even know about the future MCAT date thing. I haven't even taken my 1st mcat, but im really nervous since it's coming up.

But if I tell the schools i'm retaking my mcat in say, July, thus receiving my scores in August, so they put my application on hold, does this effectively defeat the fact that I applied in June? i.e. is there a diff between putting your mcat score on hold til August, and applying sometime in July, only to be complete in August?

I did this last year. I re-took the mcat in late June and didn't get the scores back until late July/early August (I forgot which). Either way, definitely still submit you AMCAS in June (ideally the first day that you can) because it still takes a while for them to verify everything. Do what the previous poster said about adding the future MCAT to your AMCAS. I remember a few schools sent me their secondaries before my scores were released but the majority of them did not until after I got them.

It doesn't matter tho... use SDN to get a head start on ALL your secondary essays. This was a trick I learned this year that I didn't know last year: someone puts up threads with all the schools' secondary prompts for the coming cycle in June or July!!! That way, you can start working on them and when you get the secondary, you will be ready to send it off the next day! That's what I did and I got a lot more interviews and two more acceptances then I did last year.

So in other words, if med schools won't look at your on-hold application until your summer (Aug?) mcat scores arrive, the fact that you applied early June doesn't matter compared to applying early July and getting verified by Aug anyway?

So in other words, if med schools won't look at your on-hold application until your summer (Aug?) mcat scores arrive, the fact that you applied early June doesn't matter compared to applying early July and getting verified by Aug anyway?

Yes this is correct, but since your application will not be early anymore, the best thing you can do to increase your chances is submit your primary in June to assure that when your summer mcat score arrives, your application will be complete. At times, applications can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to get verified, so you would probably be upset if your mcat score arrived in early august and you weren't verified by AMCAS until the end of august. I know those 2-3 weeks difference don't seem like a big deal, but this process is so crazy that you should do everything within your power to increase your chances and the earlier your application is complete, the better your chances of admittance. For example, I applied this past year and submitted the morning of the first day (June 3rd I believe) and was verified very quickly. My girlfriend also submitted the first day but instead of he morning, she submitted at night and was verified almost one week after me. So do yourself a favor and submit that primary application in June.

Hi... this thread made me feel a little bit better because I am in the exact same position. I just took my MCAT last weekend and do not feel to hot about it, and the next one I can register for is not until July (scores out Aug). It seems as though getting my app in as early as possible is still the best way to go, making sure to mark that I have a future MCAT date, but what are the chances that the schools will reject my application based on my first low score? I am worried that I will be ruining my chances at some schools with them looking at my first score and not wanting to wait for my new, updated (and hopefully improved) score.

For the most part. Just keep in mind that it takes AMCAS a while to get everything together and verified, and announce you as complete. It seems to be (at least from reading threads last cycle and almost applying last cycle but had a change of plans) that those who submit their AMCAS material early had it go through the system the quickest while those who submitted later, when more people are submitting concurrently, that it took upwards of a month to get verified and complete.

So yes, while it doesn't matter to the individual schools, you don't want to procrastinate since in this hypothetical example: let's say you submit mid-july figuring schools won't look at you until august anyway, what if it takes AMCAS a month to get your materials together, or your pre-med committee/advisor messes something up and delays you until September. I've seen this and heard this happen to other people, so its best to just get everything in if you have all your material completed anyway (besides the MCAT). Also, I don't know how your committee/advisor works but I know mine won't work on my evaluation until AMCAS is submitted and I give him a copy (so my school has a deadline second week of June to get everything in to his office). Just a few things to keep in mind.

Hi... this thread made me feel a little bit better because I am in the exact same position. I just took my MCAT last weekend and do not feel to hot about it, and the next one I can register for is not until July (scores out Aug). It seems as though getting my app in as early as possible is still the best way to go, making sure to mark that I have a future MCAT date, but what are the chances that the schools will reject my application based on my first low score? I am worried that I will be ruining my chances at some schools with them looking at my first score and not wanting to wait for my new, updated (and hopefully improved) score.

I was in your situation last year, but ended up not applying since the only feasible date I could get (without traveling by plane) was September. From what posters here told me, and what I've read elsewhere, if you label on AMCAS that you will be taking a future test date that most schools will put you in the "hold" category, and not review your application until your new scores arrive. However, some of the more extremely competitive schools may filter you early on if the rest of your stats aren't great, but the vast majority should put you on hold until your new scores arrive and make a decision then.