If grades really don't matter...why am I freaking out so much?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karina

Surgeon in training...
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering...there's a big possibility I might end up with a B in my Gen. Chemistry (Honors) and a B in Calc. so far my GPA has been a 4.00 I can still pull the A off...but darn?! Why does it bother me sooo much?! I know it's not a big deal...but still...I feel like I let myself down...or that my chances are getting smaller...Why do I like to do that to myself?!
I dunno...I'm just typing what I was thinking...no reply is expected if you don't want to...I just need to get this off my chest! :)

Thanx!
Karina

Members don't see this ad.

I used to feel the same way. Had a 4.0 for a while, and then got some B and B+. But in the long run they DONT matter. A 4.0 is not considered a lot better than a 3.8. Just keep it fairly high, and try to lose the stress.

Don't worry, it's just a natural feeling of wanting to be the best I guess... besides, grades DO matter, they just aren't the only thing that matters.

You sound like you are pretty much on top of things... hang in there, you might end up keeping that 4.0 anyways (and if not, don't sweat it).

Good luck!
-ln

Members don't see this ad :)
Its just a case of being a perfectionist. However, it's almost impossible to keep a 4.0 GPA in four years at a competitive college, CC maybe but at other colleges, there will be classes that just won't let you have an A that easily. It's perfectly okay because med schools would rather have human doctors with imperfections than perfect people. They would just make their patients uncomfortable.

The first B is always the hardest. :) Gets sooooo much easier after that. :)

Originally posted by Karina:
•I was just wondering...there's a big possibility I might end up with a B in my Gen. Chemistry (Honors) and a B in Calc. so far my GPA has been a 4.00 I can still pull the A off...but darn?! Why does it bother me sooo much?! I know it's not a big deal...but still...I feel like I let myself down...or that my chances are getting smaller...Why do I like to do that to myself?!
I dunno...I'm just typing what I was thinking...no reply is expected if you don't want to...I just need to get this off my chest! :)

Thanx!
Karina•

I noticed that you said that you are taking general chemistry honors. Always take the easiest, most basic course available that will satisfy pre-med reqs, med schools never know enough about colleges to know that you could have taken "honors" or "advanced" instead of basic.

I don't know about other med schools, but at Northwestern Med, they do know the difference between honors/regular at different colleges. They know because the admissions committee is divided into sections, and each section handles a different region of the country. So, there is a group of doctors who reads all the apps from the Northeast, another for the midwest etc etc. Therefore, over a period of time, (many years in some cases), the regional adcomms get to know many different schools. Granted, if your school sends 1 person to med school every year, they wont have any idea. But bigger schools tend to have a large number of applicants every year, so the adcomm sees the different levels year after year. For example, the assistant dean told me that they know the difference between Bio B-10 (for all science majors) and Bio A-10 (which is Northwestern's summer version of pre-med bio for non-majors). Granted I'm talking about the same school, but my point is that they probably know more than you think about your school's curriculum!

Perhaps they know the course work...but they DEFINITELY know the GPA! Stick with the easy classes.

The first B is always the hardest. Gets sooooo much easier after that.

Tru Tru.