If hours and pay didn't matter...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaganite

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What specialty would you choose?

I only ask because I just finished a sub-I in internal medicine at a county hospital, and it was awesome! Damn, if internal medicine isn't what being a doctor is about. I saw some of the most amazing pathology in my life. And yet, I ended up applying to and matching in one of the lifestyle specialties because I just couldn't accept the hours and relatively lower pay of internal medicine. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Members don't see this ad.

You could be a hospitalist. Lifestyle is pretty good. Most Hospitalists end up working 15-16 a month and having the rest of the month off (usually every other week). In that time you could take part of your income and devote that to running a business on the side in your spare time. Or even moon light, etc. I'm sure doing something along those lines you could pull a pretty decent salary.

Also your training would only be 3 years post grad and had you wanted to at the end of IM training you always have the option of subspecializing.

I only ask because I just finished a sub-I in internal medicine at a county hospital, and it was awesome! Damn, if internal medicine isn't what being a doctor is about. I saw some of the most amazing pathology in my life. And yet, I ended up applying to and matching in one of the lifestyle specialties because I just couldn't accept the hours and relatively lower pay of internal medicine. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Which specialty did you end up in?

My guess is Rads.

Just curious.

Still EM. It's just in my blood and can't really see myself doing anything else.

It would still be IM for me.

You could be a hospitalist. Lifestyle is pretty good. Most Hospitalists end up working 15-16 a month and having the rest of the month off (usually every other week). In that time you could take part of your income and devote that to running a business on the side in your spare time. Or even moon light, etc. I'm sure doing something along those lines you could pull a pretty decent salary.

Also your training would only be 3 years post grad and had you wanted to at the end of IM training you always have the option of subspecializing.

Thats great. I could work my a$$ off during the week and on my week off I could work my a$$ off running a business or moonlighting. :idea:

If pay didn't matter than I wouldn't work.

To paraphrase Animal Farm...some residencies are more equal than others.

I picked my specialty because it's what I really loved most.

If pay really didn't matter, I'd teach neurovascular anatomy to medical and undergraduate premedical students, world literature and ancient history to undergraduates, and go be an archaeologist in the summer.

Oh yeah...and I would work part time as a librarian at the college I taught undergrad at, and would get to the gym and actually work out every other day.

Thats great. I could work my a$$ off during the week and on my week off I could work my a$$ off running a business or moonlighting. :idea:

I guess it just depends how much $$ you want to make and how easy you want life to be when your older. It also matters on how much you have a tolerance and knowledge for the business side of this world or if you have a close friend or family member you could go into business with.

Theres plenty of doctors who do a similar type of thing where they consult at a hospital in order to build their private practice (aka business).

You also fail to forget it totally depends on the type of the business you're running on the side, where some take a lot of time and effort to maintain, others don't.