If hypothetically you had a year to study before medical school alone, what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP a lot of SDN is just not reality. Everyone has a 270 step 1, 528 mcat and 42 first author pubs finished zanki 4x before dedicated and if you havent been doing 4000 cards of zanki a day good luck getting above a 240 according to some people on here. No one and i mean no one should be studying BEFORE medical school. the site is saturated with uber genius gunners you know how it is. Just take all these people telling you to prestudy with a grain of salt its ridiculous
I was told here that if I don't do zanki at all, I won't be able to reach a 230 on step 1. Reality is I know several people that had 230+/240+ without zanki. Zanki is fantastic for space repetition, but what people don't get is that it's not the only way to get space repetition to learn the material really well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was told here that if I don't do zanki at all, I won't be able to reach a 230 on step 1. Reality is I know several people that had 230+/240+ without zanki. Zanki is fantastic for space repetition, but what people don't get is that it's not the only way to get space repetition to learn the material really well.

Graduated in 2017. scored well above 230/240 on Step 1 and Step 2. Never heard of Zanki until I became a resident.

This **** doesnt matter - there are literally 2000000 ways to do med school. Study when you need to. Relax whenever you can. Enjoy life as a student as much as you can - residency is severalfold harder in many ways. Truthfully, the minutiae from step 1 and step 2, while important to master in the moment, are totally irrelevant to daily practice for the vast majority of physicians.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
My school is shutting down and just sending out Zanki to people for 60,000$ a year.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just not true at all lmao

that’s the most ridiculous thing ever. That’s actually more ridiculous than the claims that finishing it is an auto 250+.

so to address the OP: use this time to make sure you want to deal with the step 1 mania for 2 years.

Reactions: 5 users
To be honest OP, I took a Certified Personal Training course through NASM during my application cycle. I wanted to have something as a back-up to do in case I didn't get into school.

It was a really nice "intro" to Anatomy and what muscles do what.

If you're gonna study anything, only study things that are very constant. Like, know your Amino Acids and Anatomy. Things you 'should know' going into Biochem/Anatomy etc of 1st year

that’s the most ridiculous thing ever. That’s actually more ridiculous than the claims that finishing it is an auto 250+.

so to address the OP: use this time to make sure you want to deal with the step 1 mania for 2 years.

I’m not doing zanki at all so I’ll let you know how I do.

Reactions: 1 users
I use Zanki each block but i havent been keeping up with the reviews as I should so basically defeats the purpose but it does help me do well on class exams and at least get a first pass through FA. Zanki isnt bad at all its just not the only way to the promise land

To be honest OP, I took a Certified Personal Training course through NASM during my application cycle. I wanted to have something as a back-up to do in case I didn't get into school.

It was a really nice "intro" to Anatomy and what muscles do what.

If you're gonna study anything, only study things that are very constant. Like, know your Amino Acids and Anatomy. Things you 'should know' going into Biochem/Anatomy etc of 1st year

Look, people. If you must ruin what little free time you have left in your life (and believe me when I say life) and intend to waste it then make the most of it. Study anatomy with a hot partner, a marker and that's it.

Keep in mind a lot of people are not just coming to med school straight out of undergrad.

Many people are non-traditional students with families, careers, important family commitments...

I know for a lot of kids who have parents taking care of them, it is great advice to "Relax! Don't worry! Just be calm! Go to the Bahamas! WOOOO PARTY"

Other people are too neurotic not to do anything, and honestly it could be a huge shock to go from binge watching Game of Thrones to studying 16 hours a day. Just because you study for 1-2 hours a day over coffee doesn't mean you're "ruining your last bit of freedom" - Many people already have a lot of commitments anyways and don't have the luxury of "just chillin'".

Disclaimer: I understand this might not be the OPs case, but keep that in mind when posts in the future like this come out. Some people just want an answer to their question. Not everything is so black and white. You can always be studying WHILE on the beach at the bahamas.

Keep in mind a lot of people are not just coming to med school straight out of undergrad.

Many people are non-traditional students with families, careers, important family commitments...

I know for a lot of kids who have parents taking care of them, it is great advice to "Relax! Don't worry! Just be calm! Go to the Bahamas! WOOOO PARTY"

Other people are too neurotic not to do anything, and honestly it could be a huge shock to go from binge watching Game of Thrones to studying 16 hours a day. Just because you study for 1-2 hours a day over coffee doesn't mean you're "ruining your last bit of freedom" - Many people already have a lot of commitments anyways and don't have the luxury of "just chillin'".

Disclaimer: I understand this might not be the OPs case, but keep that in mind when posts in the future like this come out. Some people just want an answer to their question. Not everything is so black and white. You can always be studying WHILE on the beach at the bahamas.

I started med school at 35 with a wife and two kids after 7 years of active duty, and I’m still saying don’t prestudy. I took care of myself and my family. Prestudying is a waste of time that you could use to do something interesting that you won’t have a chance to do once school starts. Or even just start learning Spanish and watch The Good Place.

Members don't see this ad :)

Excellent points. Especially about the neuroses part, and in fairness many of us were EXACTLY in the same shoes as the OP. For a number of us we are talking with hindsight and years of regret. For someone who has achieved pretty much everything I wanted since high school (especially the hot chick and fast car bits), I have enough regret and missed opportunities to last me a lifetime already. One of those was wasting time I wish I spent doing something memorable with the people I love.

Most of us realize the little bit of studying you may do may or may not make any difference in your med school life.. life is going to come at you faster than a freakin F-16 at Mach 2, and rain hellstorm on you. There is no silver lining after med school, it gets harder. Life gets much busier after residency. Enjoy what little time is left.

This is just sensational. I just have to set the record straight here. Finishing Zanki is 100% not enough to reach 250+. You must do UWorld +/- other qbanks. I don't know that it's even possible to reach 240. Even with qbanks, there's no guarantee that you'll break 250.
@FindersFee5

I'd agree with this. I'd also agree with everybody that prestudying is NOT something you should be doing. If you do really want to get a jump on your future and you know what medical school you'll be attending, I think trying to find a research mentor is the way to go. You could easily finish a few projects with minimal (<15 hours/week) work and still feel like you're relaxing in your year off.

Reactions: 2 users

Started med school in my 30s with a wife and two kids. Being a nontrad is all the more reason not to prestudy.

Work if you need to. Travel if you can. Spend time with your family.

I worked until 2 months out f
Started med school in my 30s with a wife and two kids. Being a nontrad is all the more reason not to prestudy.

Work if you need to. Travel if you can. Spend time with your family.

I understand that, and I wasn't speaking for all non-traditionals, but that's kinda my whole point - Non-traditional inherently means a unique path toward school, so it's impossible for me to speak for any other non-traditional, but im assuming many of those are coming from worse off socioeconomic backgrounds and have to work to pay off things (applying to medical school is very expensive), are neurotic, and/or have spent so much time "relaxing" already - they just wanna hit the ground running. Theres so many reasons someone might really wanna study rather than just take off time, they've already felt theyve done, and are ready for a new challenge.

I thought about prestudying and am glad I did not!!
The pace in med school is fast and uncomfortable and you are unlikely to subject yourself to it and maintain it on your own during your pre-study! Like many have said above, you’re better off picking a (new) hobby or something else to do with your time before school.

I just got accepted, and am wondering how to best prepare for MS1.

Spent more time with family

found a trophy husband

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Get into a SOLID (meaning for months prior, that it becomes your new normal) sleep, meal prep, and exercise routine.

Reactions: 3 users
Read for fun
Watch some Netflix shows from start to finish
Learn how to meal prep
Travel
Spend time with family and friends

Did everything I wanted to from a hanging out with family/friends/traveling standpoint. Wish I had worked out a lot more.

Travel, sleep, exercise

God, this asked every year and we always respond the same way - 90% "go live your life" and the 10% "start some useless anki deck/review FA"

Reactions: 2 users
You should memorize all of Harrison's Internal Medicine.

• Haha
Do things that will continue to benefit you once you start school. So, lift weight and read a lot of non medical books

I sort of imagine trying to learn all of SketchyMedical's content alone might be a good option. Are there more efficient uses of a year alone studying?

The 'year' is is a bit arbitrary. I guess I mean something more like "greater than a few months" in general

Let's say you had to study medical school content and you couldn't go vacation or do anything else.

I've already had my big long vacation.
Yeah no. If you have a while until med school, do sketchy micro and Pharm with the pepper decks. And also would watch all the Board and Beyonds biochem, cell bio, genetics, and general pharm sections while doing the associated questions. That should take you a good couple of months

And despite what everyone says, if you’re actively learning the material with Anki and questions, your secondary recall will be AMAZING. I will digress though, give yourself at least a week of downtime before you start medical school. The first couple of months are quite brutal

I'd intensively study Spanish...

Read for fun
Watch some Netflix shows from start to finish

Learn how to meal prep
Travel
Spend time with family and friends

I've been doing this so I guess I'm doing something right. Also, Disney+ just came out so that has occupied a lot of time