Dec 17, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I already received credit for Bio 1&2 from taking the AP, but most schools won't except that as a year of general bio. Would taking upper level bio classes be acceptable as a year of bio, or do I have to take intro classes again

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist
I already received credit for Bio 1&2 from taking the AP, but most schools won't except that as a year of general bio. Would taking upper level bio classes be acceptable as a year of bio, or do I have to take intro classes again
you would have to contact schools seperately what they'd accept for pre reqs. i would be suprised if dental schools took AP credit for pre reqs but what schools accept is widley variable.

Dec 5, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Id call and ask schools you are interested in, just to be safe.

But I have AP credit for Bio 1 and 2, but I am completeing 2 science degrees, so I have maybe 40-50 hours of upper level bio classes alone. For me it was never an issue, but if your in a major that won't require any more or very few upper level science classes, it could be an issue. They want to see that your knowledge of basic bio is sufficient to carry you through the upper levels and dental school.

nuartywayne

7+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field], Dentist
Schools do not accept AP or CREP credits. You must have to take classes. You do not have to take the simple bio, just make sure it says Bio in the transcript. Call the schools but like I said they won't accept credited courses.