If I am accepted as Magna Cum Laude now can I become Summa Cum Laude later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kanye West

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just finished my sophomore year of college and was invited to apply by Magna Cum Laude. If i do it now, and get my GPA up, is there anyway I could become Summa Cum Laude later considering my GPA is high enough? Or am I not considered anymore for Summa once I become Magna? I have a lot of time before I graduate so I am wondering why they sent it to me so early.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I just finished my sophomore year of college and was invited to apply by Magna Cum Laude. If i do it now, and get my GPA up, is there anyway I could become Summa Cum Laude later considering my GPA is high enough? Or am I not considered anymore for Summa once I become Magna? I have a lot of time before I graduate so I am wondering why they sent it to me so early.

Thanks.

Can you clarify, this makes no sense whatsoever. Why do you have to apply to get Magna Cum Laude? Are you graduating, because this only happens if you are graduating...

It's best if you ask your school.
For my school, they just automatically consider you for one of the three if your GPA is in between the ranges. No need to apply or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you come in with credit hours from AP, IB, etc...? Because if so, you probably just have enough hours that they consider you a senior. If you aren't graduating, you can probably ignore this as it's only pertinent if you are graduating.

I have over a year of extra credits, maybe thats why I got it?

I got this in the mail:
The Officers and Directors of

THE NATIONAL SCHOLARS HONOR SOCIETY

Cordially invite you to apply for Honor Society Membership
You may complete the application on-line a:

MAGNA CUM LAUDE.ORG

Your application code is ****

Wishing you congratulations and continued success,
The National Scholars Honor Society

Established (seal picture thing) MCMXCVII​

I got this in the mail:

MAGNA CUM LAUDE.ORG

Oh, that makes sense. You're not talking about graduating with honors (something which is usually done automatically; I graduated summa and did not have to do any special paperwork for it).

Don't waste your time. If you want to join an organization, go for PBK (if your university has a chapter) and/or Golden Key.

(disclosure: I'm in the latter; my university does not / did not have the former).

Go do a quick search for "National Scholars Honor Society worth it" on Google -- you'll see what I mean. Thinking back, I think I received the same little invite that you did; I'm really not trying to piss in your cornflakes on this, but you may be better off pursuing more "established" organization memberships.

I got this in the mail:

MAGNA CUM LAUDE.ORG

That's an honor society, not the actual honor that goes with your degree. Two completely different things.

Oh Ok I had the same hunch, but before I threw it out I checked online and saw all this discussion about Magna Cum Laude on these forums so I was a little confused. Thanks

I think the "magna cum laude" you're referring to is just the name/url of a website for the national scholars honors society. The real magna cum laude and summa cum laude are honors you get depending on your GPA when you graduate from undergrad.