If I am not attractive, can I still be a successful plastic surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Universaldoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an MS3 very very interested in plastic surgery. I have the grades (Step >250 and Honors in clinical rotations). However, I was wondering how important it is to be "good looking" or even "normal looking" to be a successful cosmetic plastic surgeon? I only ask because I am pretty disfigured after severe cystic acne and the resulting deep acne scars all over my face. It has deeply affected me. And because of my experiences, I want to enter a field in which I can genuinely help patients feel better about the way they look via cosmetic surgery. I am hoping to get some advice from attendings or residents in the field as to how important "the look/attractiveness" of the plastic surgeon is in the success of his practice. I really do feel like I can use my experiences to significantly contribute to this field. However, I am afraid that my looks are going to hold me back.

Thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

How you look as a plastic surgeon has no relationship to the results of your work. As long as you do excellent work, and have good results, you will be successful.

Will it be harder for you because you have bad acne scars? Perhaps intially, but again if you are good at what you do and you care about your patients, you will be successful no matter what. Besides, why limit yourself because of something that is beyond your control? If plastic surgery is what you want, then go for it. You sound like you have the basic academic qualifications, so why not try?

I know a lot of plastic surgeons who don't look like supermodels. Just continue to strive to be excellent, and be the best physician that you can be, and that will show through everything else.

How you look as a plastic surgeon has no relationship to the results of your work. As long as you do excellent work, and have good results, you will be successful.

Will it be harder for you because you have bad acne scars? Perhaps intially, but again if you are good at what you do and you care about your patients, you will be successful no matter what. Besides, why limit yourself because of something that is beyond your control? If plastic surgery is what you want, then go for it. You sound like you have the basic academic qualifications, so why not try?

I know a lot of plastic surgeons who don't look like supermodels. Just continue to strive to be excellent, and be the best physician that you can be, and that will show through everything else.

Agree wholeheartedly. Additionally, you'd be surprised what a sharp suit, laser resurfacing and phenol peel, and the trappings of confidence inspired by strong surgical knowledge and skill might do.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why not see what cosmetic procedures can do for you? Refraining from having cosmetic work done when you have a cosmetic problem that troubles you and there are procedures that can help -- well, I'd suggest it sends the wrong message.