If I am not good with Organic Chem, should I consider NOT going to Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amanuel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all pharmacy school students or pharmacists.

I am almost done taking my pre-pharm classes. However, I have been struggling in my organic chem classes. Got a B in Org Chem I and now org Chem II is really kicking my ***. Especially towards the end, it is getting crazy on me. I have been getting A s in all my other classes except Organic.

So does this mean I will be a failure in Pharmacy school and should reconsider switching to a different choice? If there is a lot of org chem in pharmacy school then I can tell I will be in trouble. In other words, what does org chem class tell about your future pharmacy school???

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry at all. Organic chemistry was not my forte either, and I graduated pharmacy with only one C, the rest were A's and B's. I don't even recall using organic in pharmacy school. You just need to know the basic chemistry from your general chemistry classes and the functional groups, that's about it. You need to know more biology than chemistry in pharmacy school.

Don't worry at all. Organic chemistry was not my forte either, and I graduated pharmacy with only one C, the rest were A's and B's. I don't even recall using organic in pharmacy school. You just need to know the basic chemistry from your general chemistry classes and the functional groups, that's about it. You need to know more biology than chemistry in pharmacy school.
Thanks rx2010. I know feel much better. But why is that the admission people look closely at org chem grades more than other classes? Because they will obviously start asking me questions why everything is A except Org chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks rx2010. I know feel much better. But why is that the admission people look closely at org chem grades more than other classes? Because they will obviously start asking me questions why everything is A except Org chem.

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking since organic chemistry is very challenging, they assume if you can handle those courses, then you can handle pharmacy school.

The thing is that Organic Chem requires constant studying. If you don't stay on top of it and do practice problems every day, it will kick your ass. The same for pharmacy school, the material flies at you very fast and if you fall behind, you're screwed.

The thing is that Organic Chem requires constant studying. If you don't stay on top of it and do practice problems every day, it will kick your ass. The same for pharmacy school, the material flies at you very fast and if you fall behind, you're screwed.
Very true. That's what I have understood too. It's not like other classes where u study once or twice a week and u get an A. In fact the best thing I think is to read ahead and that was the only way I can understand what the teacher is saying.
thanks

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking since organic chemistry is very challenging, they assume if you can handle those courses, then you can handle pharmacy school.
Hey rx2010, let me ask you one last question. what pre-pharm courses you think will help me if I take them before pham school? I mean other than the usual gen bio, gen chem, org chem, microbiology...?

Hey rx2010, let me ask you one last question. what pre-pharm courses you think will help me if I take them before pham school? I mean other than the usual gen bio, gen chem, org chem, microbiology...?

I would say biostatistics, biochemistry and immunology. Those are courses that can be taken in undergrad, but aren't listed on most pharmacy school's pre-pharm requirements because it's taken during pharmacy school.

The only thing you need to survive in pharmacy school is an above-average memory capacity & the ability to punch in numbers on a calculator.

Hi all pharmacy school students or pharmacists.

I am almost done taking my pre-pharm classes. However, I have been struggling in my organic chem classes. Got a B in Org Chem I and now org Chem II is really kicking my ***. Especially towards the end, it is getting crazy on me. I have been getting A s in all my other classes except Organic.

So does this mean I will be a failure in Pharmacy school and should reconsider switching to a different choice? If there is a lot of org chem in pharmacy school then I can tell I will be in trouble. In other words, what does org chem class tell about your future pharmacy school???

Thanks

Organic chem is only emphasized in your P1 year as a review course (varies by school). You will have to do medicinal chemistry quite often however. Medicinal chemistry is an applied version of organic chem, necessary to understand most biochem / toxicity reactions. Aside from the above, organic never shows up again.