If I apply this summer, what do you think my chances are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redwings54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have posted on this site for a little while now and have gotten a lot of great information. People know their stuff here. Now I guess I have a question that I am really just looking for some advice from people who have gone through this process. My GPA is 3.05 with a 2.81 science. After this summer, I should have a 3.15GPA with a 3.02science if I Ace the classes I am taking this summer. Than I am going to start with classes at Harvard Extension with two more each in the fall and spring. If I do well in those classes than I could end with a 3.24GPA, 3.20science. I took the MCAT twice, first time got a 25, 2nd got a 24 because I found out my dad had cancer two weeks before the test. I show a big upward trend in my grades since freshman year. I graduated from a top liberal arts college with a degree in chem. I won a fellowship in holistic medicine and studied in Russia and Scotland. I also just found out that my research from my holistic fellowship is going to get published in an Anthro journal. I was a RA, TA, research assistant for 2 years with a pub, have a job as a phebotomist/lab assistant, shadowed DOs and MDs with more to come, great LoRs, captained rugby for two years, chaired a volunteer organization that taught kids to read for two years and have dealt with family stuff giving me a close view of the medical field and how healing can best take place. So with all that, do I seem like a viable candidate for DO schools if I apply this summer? I know I am on the lower end, but I hope with my experiences and desire that I can get a few acceptances. I am also 22, 23 this summer, and from NH. UNECOM, PCOM and NSUCOM are my top choices and I will only be applying to DO schools because I better connect with that philosophy and plan to write more on my fellowship with the osteopathic ideology in mind. Cheers and thanks.
-Rob

Members don't see this ad.

Should be ok. Apply to a broader spectrum of schools.

I was accpeted with an identical GPA, but my mcat was a couple points higher. just make sure you apply to alot of schools. I was suprised by the schools that decided to interview me and the ones that didnt that I thought would be a lock.

Members don't see this ad :)
redwings54 said:
I have posted on this site for a little while now and have gotten a lot of great information. People know their stuff here. Now I guess I have a question that I am really just looking for some advice from people who have gone through this process. My GPA is 3.05 with a 2.81 science. After this summer, I should have a 3.15GPA with a 3.02science if I Ace the classes I am taking this summer. Than I am going to start with classes at Harvard Extension with two more each in the fall and spring. If I do well in those classes than I could end with a 3.24GPA, 3.20science. I took the MCAT twice, first time got a 25, 2nd got a 24 because I found out my dad had cancer two weeks before the test. I show a big upward trend in my grades since freshman year. I graduated from a top liberal arts college with a degree in chem. I won a fellowship in holistic medicine and studied in Russia and Scotland. I also just found out that my research from my holistic fellowship is going to get published in an Anthro journal. I was a RA, TA, research assistant for 2 years with a pub, have a job as a phebotomist/lab assistant, shadowed DOs and MDs with more to come, great LoRs, captained rugby for two years, chaired a volunteer organization that taught kids to read for two years and have dealt with family stuff giving me a close view of the medical field and how healing can best take place. So with all that, do I seem like a viable candidate for DO schools if I apply this summer? I know I am on the lower end, but I hope with my experiences and desire that I can get a few acceptances. I am also 22, 23 this summer, and from NH. UNECOM, PCOM and NSUCOM are my top choices and I will only be applying to DO schools because I better connect with that philosophy and plan to write more on my fellowship with the osteopathic ideology in mind. Cheers and thanks.
-Rob

You know it's a really subjective thing for schools... some schools will accept people with lower scores and gpas because they demonstrate a sense of pure of love for peole and medicine... others strictly want scores... then there are those in between that judge on both...

I would apply early this summer for the class of 2010... and add schools like DMU and Touro-NV... Touro-CA to your list... broadening your application pool to schools that are known for judging on both academics and on character are your best bets.. You can do this... and I wish you the best of luck.

Bump

Please give me a little direction guys. I really hope to apply this summer, but am not sure if I am a even boarderline candidate. I think with my ECs, experiences and LoRs I stand a chance, but my MCAT and GPA are holding me back. Should I postpone for a year, take some classes to boost the GPA (which I plan to do anyway) and retake the MCAT for a third time? Any advice will be very much appreciated even if you arent an expert. Cheers.

redwings54 said:
Bump

Please give me a little direction guys. I really hope to apply this summer, but am not sure if I am a even boarderline candidate. I think with my ECs, experiences and LoRs I stand a chance, but my MCAT and GPA are holding me back. Should I postpone for a year, take some classes to boost the GPA (which I plan to do anyway) and retake the MCAT for a third time? Any advice will be very much appreciated even if you arent an expert. Cheers.
why postpone your your life another year? if you apply early to like 12+ schools, i am sure you'll get many interviews and probably like 4+ acceptances. i so regret not being younger...and do everything i can to stay young looking :D

i do think you are above borderline!

do it now! don't be silly and wait :p

redwings54 said:
Bump

There's no reason why you can't apply this summer and still do what you have suggested in anticipation of having to reapply. As MX said there's no reason to postpone your life.

Bump.

Hey all, I just found out I was going to be shadowing a doc that went to UNECOM and is now in family practice. We have talked a few times and I think I can get a pretty good LOR from her. She said she goes back there a lot so I am hoping that a good LOR from her will help push my application through. At the end of the summer, Around mid August, I will have a 3.10/2.96 GPA. I will also have a 25 MCAT. A publication with a first author coming. A fellowship in holistic medicine. RA,TA, volunteer organization chair, student government, captain of sports team and great clinical at my job. I also have good LORs from undergrad, a good one from an MD and hopefully one from the DO as well. My advisor I think wants me to wait another year to get my grades up higher and get my stuff together. I want to apply this summer, but am scared of my chances. I think I have everything but the really high grades and a steller MCAT. I do feel that I am a solid student though with an upward trend and if I can do well this summer, I will prove it even more. Any advice on what I should do? Should I apply this summer? Should I apply before or after I get the grades from my new classes if I do apply? Should I wait a year and just apply next summer? Thanks all. I know its a crapshoot, but I am just looking for some advice.

redwings54 said:
Bump.

Hey all, I just found out I was going to be shadowing a doc that went to UNECOM and is now in family practice. We have talked a few times and I think I can get a pretty good LOR from her. She said she goes back there a lot so I am hoping that a good LOR from her will help push my application through. At the end of the summer, Around mid August, I will have a 3.10/2.96 GPA. I will also have a 25 MCAT. A publication with a first author coming. A fellowship in holistic medicine. RA,TA, volunteer organization chair, student government, captain of sports team and great clinical at my job. I also have good LORs from undergrad, a good one from an MD and hopefully one from the DO as well. My advisor I think wants me to wait another year to get my grades up higher and get my stuff together. I want to apply this summer, but am scared of my chances. I think I have everything but the really high grades and a steller MCAT. I do feel that I am a solid student though with an upward trend and if I can do well this summer, I will prove it even more. Any advice on what I should do? Should I apply this summer? Should I apply before or after I get the grades from my new classes if I do apply? Should I wait a year and just apply next summer? Thanks all. I know its a crapshoot, but I am just looking for some advice.

If you get your GPA's above 3.0, then you will be accepted to a school, as long as you apply to the right ones. No need to hold off an application, as you can always send in updated transcripts and MCAT scores.

If you hold on to your fear, you will never attain your goals. Yes, med school is a gamble and there are no guarantees - but if you wait, you are only prolonging the obvious. You have plenty of experience. You have good LORs (and a promise of a good word). But all of these things mean nothing if you do not have the faith in yourself and in the fact that you can obtain a med school acceptance. You are more than your GPA and MCAT scores!!!!!!! You need to sell yourself with a compelling PS and allow the rest of your application to speak for you. My advice to you is to go on and apply and leave your fears behind. There is a med school out there for everyone - but you have to have the confidence to know that you are qualified and well able to gain an acceptance to medical school.

Overcome your fear! Stop worrying! Send in your App!

I am looking forward to seeing you during the upcoming interview sessions at PCOM. Just do it!

Malliem
PCOM Class of 2008
Miracles do happen (2.8 GPA nonexistent MCAT scores) :clap:

schools are looking for the whole package. from what i can tell you definately have a great CV. sounds like you have alot of experience which will be a big plus. your MCAT's should be fine. the only thing that might hold you back (even though i don't think it will) is your GPA. but, honestly, i really think you will have no problem. sell yourself to the school. show them everything you have learned and they won't be able to say no. on that note, send in the da*n application and buck up. its going to be a long road, and the sooner you get your apps in the better. it never hurts to be first in line, so the very first day they allow for ACOMAS submission...send er' out. :) good luck and hope to see you interviewing at UNECOM next year!!! (i'll be a MS1..oh yeah oh yeah!!!!!!!)