If I can do it...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Nogpa, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Nogpa

Nogpa Member

Well, I just wanted to let you know that you don't have to be the 3.8/32 to get in to medical school. I got in last week!! :) Just to give you a little background, I started off at a small, private liberal arts college, where I reeled in a whoppin' 2.65(including gen bio I & II, chem I & II and calc I). After some personal issues(read: destroyed by devil girlfriend :) ) I decided that I didn't want to go back, so, with nowhere else to go, I went to a community college for a year.

I did great there...3.96GPA, but the fact that it was a CC didn't make that as auspicious as I'd have liked at the time. In what could have been a silly move, I then decided to go to a school with no grades, only narrative evaluations. In fact, the school's charter with the state says that basically any quantification of student performance is frowned upon and not really allowed. So, even though I had great evaluations for my upper division science, I didn't have squat for a grade.

All told, I ended up with a 3.3 GPA for two years, one at a CC. My junior and senior year show up as -- (dashes) where my grades would have been...including my organic chemistry( :eek: )I did well on the MCAT, but I wasn't at all sure that it was going to make up for my checkered academic history.
    So, if your'e worried that you have an unusual background because of decisions that you made with a sound heart and mind, don't be. Instead, exploit them!! The only reason I'd have regretted my decisions is if the application process had been unsuccessful; but, I took the mindset that adcoms would not define my past, only my med school attendance. They must have liked that. Either way, don't lose hope and faith. It's brutal, ridiculous and stressful, but it can be done. Good luck to you all!!

BR

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. congrats! but i honestly dont see what was wrong wit ur application, u had great grades, so they were from a cc but they were still great.

congrats though:)

4. omores

omores sleep deprived

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi Nogpa.

I remember how concerned you were that those narrative evals would be a stumbling block. I'm delighted to hear that they weren't.

Congratuations!

5. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician

Attending Physician
  6. ohiowa

ohiowa Member

congratulations! :clap:

:clap:

7. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student