if i don't do good freshman year, will i not be accepted into medical school in the future.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YNGBlackExcellence98

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a freshman at a SUNY community college currently. my dream would be to attend UAlbany or any other SUNY school after i finish my two years here (Spring 2018). the medical schools that i am interested in attending would be SUNY Downstate and Meharry Medical College.

my first semester, my GPA was 2.7, the reason was because of my English 101 grade. i'm in the second semester and i have confidence that i can hopefully pull at least a 3.0 and boost up my overall GPA. i also plan to retake Eng 101 in my third semester/sophomore year or during a winter session.

but will a bad freshman year harm my chances getting into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

i am a freshman at a SUNY community college currently. my dream would be to attend UAlbany or any other SUNY school after i finish my two years here (Spring 2018). the medical schools that i am interested in attending would be SUNY Downstate and Meharry Medical College.

my first semester, my GPA was 2.7, the reason was because of my English 101 grade. i'm in the second semester and i have confidence that i can hopefully pull at least a 3.0 and boost up my overall GPA. i also plan to retake Eng 101 in my third semester/sophomore year or during a winter session.

You should really aim for a 3.7 by the time you apply. That means if you get a 3.0 this semester, you'd have to get a 4.0 every semester for the rest of undergrad. If you can pull that off, your weak freshman year grades may largely be forgiven, but you definitely need to immediately identify what it is you need to change in terms of work ethic and/or study habits

Reactions: 1 users
The biggest red flag in your post is that you are "hoping" to get "at least a 3.0". Medical school admissions requires academic excellence. Certainly not perfection or anything close to it, but it demands that you demonstrate that you can academically handle the rigors of medical school and beyond. This means that you can not be aiming for above 3.0. The expectation should be that you are going to get A's in most of your classes.

While certainly there are medical schools that have lower expectations for their GPAs, the reality is that you need to be a good student to succeed in medicine. You need to be able to study effectively. A 3.0 student is not an effective studier and it is not up to the standard that is expected of physician performance. My recommendation is that you forget about medical school at this point. Focus on being a better student. Learn how to learn. If you can string together several strong semesters, then start figuring out how to get into medical school, but at this point, you are no where near ready as a student.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I definitely agree with your idea of retaking the class. I am not on an adcom or anything like that, but I think it would show dedication and commitment. If you can maintain a strong record of grades after this, I really think you have a chance. Upward trends are good. Also do keep in mind that getting into medical school is based on many things like grades, yes but also MCAT, extracurriculars, clinical experience, research if you choose to do it, etc. Excel extracurricularly as well as with your grades going forward, and with your MCAT-and I think you can do great!

Reactions: 1 user

I definitely agree with your idea of retaking the class. I am not on an adcom or anything like that, but I think it would show dedication and commitment. If you can maintain a strong record of grades after this, I really think you have a chance. Upward trends are good. Also do keep in mind that getting into medical school is based on many things like grades, yes but also MCAT, extracurriculars, clinical experience, research if you choose to do it, etc. Excel extracurricularly as well as with your grades going forward, and with your MCAT-and I think you can do great!

A bad freshman year will not hinder your chances of attending medical school. Given that your at a CC, a low GPA may look bad. All you need to do is get your cumulative GPA to a 3.75 and 3.68 science GPA by the time you apply, with a 30+ on the MCAT for admission.

OP I got multiple MD acceptances after getting a 2.8 GPA freshman year and a 3.1 sophomore year, but this rarely happens. I needed to make sure I was damn near perfect from there on out (MCAT, ECs, GPA, interviews) to get in.

Last edited:
OP I got multiple MD acceptances after getting a 2.7 GPA freshman year and a 3.0 sophomore year, but this rarely happens. I needed to make sure I was damn near perfect from there on out (MCAT, ECs, GPA, interviews) to get in.
Were you in CC as well? I want to know if bad grades in 1st semester/1st year looks bad especially it's at CC.

Your school has an educational or learning center. Go make friends with them and get help with learning styles, test taking strategy, time mgt etc

No, it was a fairly academically rigorous private uni. Not entirely sure how med schools would have viewed the situation I was at a CC.

Were you in CC as well? I want to know if bad grades in 1st semester/1st year looks bad especially it's at CC.

@Geo16 I had about a 2.5 after first year of community college. It doesn't look good, and it is absolutely a tremendous challenge to overcome, but it is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

No, it was a fairly academically rigorous private uni. Not entirely sure how med schools would have viewed the situation I was at a CC.
Thanks for your reply. Nice, private uni huh?
@Geo16 I had about a 2.5 after first year of community college. It doesn't look good, and it is absolutely a tremendous challenge to overcome, but it is possible.
Nice! Good to know that! I really had a bad first year, I wish I can turn this around for good.

OP, I hate being that guy.

"If I don't do well"

Adverb.

Push for a 3.5+. The closer you are to 3.7 the better. Chances are you won't have 4.0 every semester (do prove me wrong) but you can be perfect in everything else.