If I don't get in, I don't matter. Help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AddictedToPussy90

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a rough overview:

26 years old. Indian American (ORM).

- Graduated with a TERRIBLE GPA (literally probably the only one from my cultural background with such a horrible GPA).

- Current undergrad GPA is a 2.0 with 8 Fs, 6Ds, and at least 5 Ws. Put on academic probation twice. GPA was so low took me 3 extra years to graduate.

- No real reason for a terrible performance. Combination of depression and lack of focus. Oh well.

- Haven't taken the MCAT yet.

- Currently working as a researcher for a big pharma company.

Goals:

- Want to matriculate into a post-bac or SMP by 27.

- Want to matriculate into med school by 28-29.

- Pretty hard, I know, given the status of my GPA. But I'm already behind everyone else I know in life. I can't keep waiting. It's embarrassing.

Rules:

- If your post is something along the lines of "It's not possible, medicine isn't for you, blah blah blah." then don't bother posting.

- If you are going to say something like: "Why don't you consider nursing/other healthcare job/Completely different field?" Obviously I'm not interested in other healthcare jobs or other fields, hence why I'm on this forum.

- If you are going to say something like: "Age doesn't matter, I know someone who started med school at 85 and is perfectly happy blah blah blah". Age matters. Maybe not to white people, but in Indian community it matters. Hence why the majority of family and friends who went into medicine are close to finishing by my age because they aren't screw ups like me. I don't want to put my life on hold till I'm 40.

- " You can get married/have kids while in med school and residency blah blah blah, I know several people who did". Those people are idiots. You can't get married in med school when you have 0 money or have kids in residency when you have 0 money and time. It makes no sense. Again, this is not something that is done in my cultural circle.

- "I know of (Insert random anecdotal instance) of Indian-Americans who started med school later than you." Cool story bro. I guarantee I know more Indian-Americans than you do and the oldest one I know started med school at 25. So that doesn't fly.

What I am looking for:

1) How can I utilize this one year to make myself competitive enough for an SMP? Because if I don't get in, then I don't matter. I want to matter.

Members don't see this ad.

My question to you is what will you do if you dont matriculate according to your culturally imposed age guidelines?

Reactions: 1 users
My question to you is what will you do if you dont matriculate according to your culturally imposed age guidelines?

I have some fallback options. Though ideally I would rather not have to go down that route.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is awesome. People are going to comment stuff like "wow such attitude maybe why you did bad" or **** like "so arrogant based on your 'rules'" but I understand you're frustrated. I assume based on what you've posted your family wouldn't be happy with a DO? I feel that MD is out of reach for you at this point, considering you must have an okay GPA to get into an SMP and yours is abysmal. I'd say that to become a doctor you need to do grade-replacement for all your Fs and Ds and if you've proven yourself in that sense then MAYBE apply to some lower tier MDs and lots of DOs

This is awesome. People are going to comment stuff like "wow such attitude maybe why you did bad" or **** like "so arrogant based on your 'rules'" but I understand you're frustrated. I assume based on what you've posted your family wouldn't be happy with a DO? I feel that MD is out of reach for you at this point, considering you must have an okay GPA to get into an SMP and yours is abysmal. I'd say that to become a doctor you need to do grade-replacement for all your Fs and Ds and if you've proven yourself in that sense then MAYBE apply to some lower tier MDs and lots of DOs

As you mentioned, my grades are terrible. It would by stupid of me not to consider DO as a viable (perhaps my only) route. I don't care about the difference. Last year when my father underwent surgery, the attending surgeon was a DO and did a fantastic job. So yes. I am open to the possibility.

The problem with retaking those classes is that I am no longer at my alma mater since I am working full time in a big pharma company on the other side of the country.

Reactions: 1 user
You can't look for advice and set rules for what kind of advice you want to receive. Basically you're saying "Tell me what I want to hear or don't say anything at all".

You may as well delete this post and continue doing whatever you think is best for you because clearly you don't want others actually advising you.

Reactions: 16 users
so you're only interested in medicine because then and only then you will matter to your family/friends/social network?

you would probably need to retake your pre-reqs if you did poorly in them and take the GRE or MCAT (whichever is required for SMP/post grad program). all this will take longer than a year since the fall semester is already underway. you will need to lengthen your timeline, however I believe it is possible for you to become a physician, you just have a lot to overcome and prove.

EDIT: nice name bro hahahaha is this a troll?

As you mentioned, my grades are terrible. It would by stupid of me not to consider DO as a viable (perhaps my only) route. I don't care about the difference. Last year when my father underwent surgery, the attending surgeon was a DO and did a fantastic job. So yes. I am open to the possibility.

The problem with retaking those classes is that I am no longer at my alma mater since I am working full time in a big pharma company on the other side of the country.

You do not need to retake the courses at your undergrad institution. You can retake them anywhere. Just make sure your retakes are the same # of credits or more as the original class.

If you can bring your GPAs up to a 3.4ish with grade replacement and get a 504-505 on the new MCAT, you look fine for DO.

You can't look for advice and set rules for what kind of advice you want to receive. Basically you're saying "Tell me what I want to hear or don't say anything at all".

You may as well delete this post and continue doing whatever you think is best for you because clearly you don't want others actually advising you.

I do want actual advice. But experience has taught me that people tend to give extraneous advice that is not relevant to the current situation. Things such as "considering other careers" and "doing a different healthcare job." I am only interested in advice pertinent to the specific question I asked.

so you're only interested in medicine because then and only then you will matter to your family/friends/social network?

you would probably need to retake your pre-reqs if you did poorly in them and take the GRE or MCAT (whichever is required for SMP/post grad program). all this will take longer than a year since the fall semester is already underway. you will need to lengthen your timeline, however I believe it is possible for you to become a physician, you just have a lot to overcome and prove.

Lengthen by how long?

well depends on how many courses you need to retake. care to share that information?

I do want actual advice. But experience has taught me that people tend to give extraneous advice that is not relevant to the current situation. Things such as "considering other careers" and "doing a different healthcare job." I am only interested in advice pertinent to the specific question I asked.

If you continue going forward on the path you are going now, there's an extremely high chance you're going to fail. Like literally fail out of your SMP.

You've shown that you can't even handle your undergrad coursework how can you handle the med school course load?

I'm giving my advice even though it's unwelcome. The path you outlined is feasible. Your timeline isn't. You need to get your mental health sorted out FIRST before you try to tackle anything. That's probably something that takes at least a year if not more.

I believe I need to redo about 30 credits or a year's worth of classes. The problem is that I am working full time. I can't take classes at my local universities at the same time as work. Unfortunatley, the universities in my area don't offer science classes in the evening (I called and checked with each one). This means the only way for my to redo classes would be through online options. I don't know if this would be ideal for SMP programs I am applying too or if they would consider those classes towards my GPA? Some of the online options I am looking into are:

http://extension.berkeley.edu/spos/premed.html

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/courses/subject/biological-sciences/e-bios

http://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/

Any idea on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you continue going forward on the path you are going now, there's an extremely high chance you're going to fail. Like literally fail out of your SMP.

You've shown that you can't even handle your undergrad coursework how can you handle the med school course load?

I'm giving my advice even though it's unwelcome. The path you outlined is feasible. Your timeline isn't. You need to get your mental health sorted out FIRST before you try to tackle anything. That's probably something that takes at least a year if not more.

My timeline is more important than my mental health. And my mental health is fine. I've already been working on myself to get that fixed.

I believe I need to redo about 30 credits or a year's worth of classes. The problem is that I am working full time. I can't take classes at my local universities at the same time as work. Unfortunatley, the universities in my area don't offer science classes in the evening (I called and checked with each one). This means the only way for my to redo classes would be through online options. I don't know if this would be ideal for SMP programs I am applying too or if they would consider those classes towards my GPA? Some of the online options I am looking into are:

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/courses/subject/biological-sciences/e-bios

Any idea on this?

I don't think online is ideal. What about community college? They should be more likely to offer evening classes.
Do you live in CA or MA? The extension schools are very non-trad friendly and do offer evening classes as far as I know.

My timeline is more important than my mental health. And my mental health is fine. I've already been working on myself to get that fixed.

You failed many of your undergrad courses due to your depression + "lack of focus" which could be anything. Your post title is "If I don't get in, I don't matter." You are so sensitive you don't let other post anything not related to getting into med school asap. You JUST said that getting into med school asap is more important than your mental health. You are very clearly not fine.

Reactions: 9 users
I don't think online is ideal. What about community college? They should be more likely to offer evening classes.
Do you live in CA or MA? The extension schools are very non-trad friendly and do offer evening classes as far as I know.

The community colleges don't offer the classes I need. And I don't live in CA or MA.

You failed many of your undergrad courses due to your depression + "lack of focus" which could be anything. Your post title is "If I don't get in, I don't matter." You are so sensitive you don't let other post anything not related to getting into med school asap. You JUST said that getting into med school asap is more important than your mental health. You are very clearly not fine.

Yes. At the moment, I don't care about anything not related to getting into med school. I am fine.

The community colleges don't offer the classes I need. And I don't live in CA or MA.

I don't know how online courses would be perceived by the different DO schools. Some won't accept them at all. You want your courses to count. University or CC would be better. I'd try to figure out a way to make that work even if that means extending your timeline...

@Goro could better advise you about retakes

You need to get your tragic yet tantalizing addiction under control before proceeding with any of these plans.

Reactions: 15 users
I can't even decide what to comment on first. :corny:

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for that, extremely helpful. Even though I clearly stated that I am looking for advice, just advice relevant to my specific situation.

You aren't looking for advice. You're looking for encouragement. It's not the same thing. And you aren't going to find much of it here given your attitude.

Reactions: 3 users
My question is simple: do you personally want to pursue medicine? Or are you merely doing this as a result of cultural expectations?

7/10 troll. Your username gave it away.

Reactions: 2 users
You probably won't listen to me but I'm going to try anyhow.

You have to believe that YOU HAVE WORTH JUST THE WAY YOU ARE. The whole "if I am not X I have no worth" is one way ticket to depression, anxiety and isolation. You can be happy with yourself and still better yourself. You don't have to hate yourself so much to get to where you want to go.

I know this might not sound like a practical advice but I think it would help you a lot of practice self love. If you can't see the inherent value in yourself, how do you expect to see the inherent value of human life in your patients? You can only show the amount of compassion you have for yourself to others. So put down your to do list for a second (or a year) and really dig deep. It's an uncomfortable place, I know. It's easier said than done, I know. But at least try and practice. Otherwise you will be miserable your entire life even if you end up going to medical school.

your user name is addictedtopussy

now, as a biology phd student I'd otherwise feel you, but i'd say this is a troll question

I got some great advice for you. It's not possible, medicine isn't for you. Why don't you consider nursing/other healthcare job/Completely different field?Plus, age doesn't matter, I know someone who started med school at 85 and is perfectly fine. And, you can get married/have kids while in med school and residency, I know several people who did.

Last edited:
You guys are just jealous that he was busy getting all the pu$sy while you were wasting your undergrad hitting the books and knocking out A's in the science prereqs.

Reactions: 5 users
Well, AddictedToPussy, you've managed to put yourself behind the 8ball. Have you done anything (shadowing, volunteering, etc) to figure out if you would enjoy being a doctor, or is this just related to family pushing you down the path? Your GPA needs repair, but you need to be realistic. A 2.0 makes me question how you'll do on the MCAT even if you repair that GPA.

Currently your app is lacking in every single aspect. It will take time to make you a competitive applicant for any US medical school, so your time table may be unrealistic regardless of what you believe.

Caribbean. You're exactly their target demo. Go watch an SGU white coat ceremony; it'll be like looking in a mirror (x1000).

Then a year later you can write a blog about failing out.

Last edited:
You aren't looking for advice. You're looking for encouragement. It's not the same thing. And you aren't going to find much of it here given your attitude.

Im looking for advice related to the last question I had in my post. Perhaps you should read my post again.

My question is simple: do you personally want to pursue medicine? Or are you merely doing this as a result of cultural expectations?

Both.

Here's a fact, you won't get into medical school ever with your mentality.

Try harder. It's not working.

You probably won't listen to me but I'm going to try anyhow.

You have to believe that YOU HAVE WORTH JUST THE WAY YOU ARE. The whole "if I am not X I have no worth" is one way ticket to depression, anxiety and isolation. You can be happy with yourself and still better yourself. You don't have to hate yourself so much to get to where you want to go.

I know this might not sound like a practical advice but I think it would help you a lot of practice self love. If you can't see the inherent value in yourself, how do you expect to see the inherent value of human life in your patients? You can only show the amount of compassion you have for yourself to others. So put down your to do list for a second (or a year) and really dig deep. It's an uncomfortable place, I know. It's easier said than done, I know. But at least try and practice. Otherwise you will be miserable your entire life even if you end up going to medical school.

The inherent value of myself is based on things that I have achieved. Right now I am a failure. I have not achieved anything, therefore I have no inherent value. You can't just value yourself if you have nothing going for you. A rich successful CEO of a big company has more value than some regular 9-5 desk job employee who has more value than a fast food worker who has more value then some lowlife convict or homeless person. Value is attributed to success, social status, and wealth. You cannot have one without the other.

I got some great advice for you. It's not possible, medicine isn't for you. Why don't you consider nursing/other healthcare job/Completely different field?Plus, age doesn't matter, I know someone who started med school at 85 and is perfectly fine. And, you can get married/have kids while in med school and residency, I know several people who did.

I got some great advice for you.

Well, AddictedToPussy, you've managed to put yourself behind the 8ball. Have you done anything (shadowing, volunteering, etc) to figure out if you would enjoy being a doctor, or is this just related to family pushing you down the path? Your GPA needs repair, but you need to be realistic. A 2.0 makes me question how you'll do on the MCAT even if you repair that GPA.

Currently your app is lacking in every single aspect. It will take time to make you a competitive applicant for any US medical school, so your time table may be unrealistic regardless of what you believe.

Then how can I make it realistic?

Caribbean. You're exactly their target demo. Go watch an SGU white coat ceremony; it'll be like looking in a mirror (x1000).

Then a year later you can write a blog about failing out. We've already gone through $Million Mistake and Tameer blogs too many times.. we're gonna need fresh reading material.

Lol sure i'll get right on it mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for that, extremely helpful. Even though I clearly stated that I am looking for advice, just advice relevant to my specific situation.

You're only looking for advice that conforms to a completely unrealistic set of parameters.

You've got 14 classes (8 Fs + 6 Ds) so 3 semesters worth of 'got-to-be-As' coursework to redo before anyone would even consider your application. And you've given yourself a year to accomplish it. And no schools that will allow you to take the classes while maintaining your day job. But to fit into three semesters, that's full-time studenthood anyway.

Sorry - quite simply impossible given the parameters you've specified.

Not to mention the whole mental health / attitude thing which, believe me, is NOT fine. You don't even know why you bombed undergrad, so why would anyone - even you - believe you'll pull a 180 degree miracle now?

The other thing that simply isn't done in your culture? Undergraduate academic records like yours --

Reactions: 4 users
The inherent value of myself is based on things that I have achieved. Right now I am a failure. I have not achieved anything, therefore I have no inherent value. You can't just value yourself if you have nothing going for you. A rich successful CEO of a big company has more value than some regular 9-5 desk job employee who has more value than a fast food worker who has more value then some lowlife convict or homeless person. Value is attributed to success, social status, and wealth. You cannot have one without the other.

Do you value others according to their accomplishments?

You're only looking for advice that conforms to a completely unrealistic set of parameters.

You've got 14 classes (8 Fs + 6 Ds) so 3 semesters worth of 'got-to-be-As' coursework to redo before anyone would even consider your application. And you've given yourself a year to accomplish it. And no schools that will allow you to take the classes while maintaining your day job. But to fit into three semesters, that's full-time studenthood anyway.

Sorry - quite simply impossible given the parameters you've specified.

Not to mention the whole mental health / attitude thing which, believe me, is NOT fine. You don't even know why you bombed undergrad, so why would anyone - even you - believe you'll pull a 180 degree miracle now?

The other thing that simply isn't done in your culture? Undergraduate academic records like yours --

So you're saying that I should quit my job and go to school full time? What is a more realistic timeline according to you then?

And I bombed undergrad because I didn't care. I now care.

And thank you for that last sentence. I already mentioned that I was a failure in the opening post, if it makes you happy I will mention it again. I am a failure. Hope you're satisfied.

Yes. Don't you? As a med school admissions person isn't that exactly what you do?

Any idea on this?
1) Extension schools justifiably have a stigma attached to them and online schools are a joke. You would be better off sticking to a community college.
2) The advice that you want ("how do I get into an MD school within a few years") cannot be given because you are asking for the impossible.
3) Your problem is a problem of maturity, which is not something that can be fixed over night. If you're a troll, well done. If not, you're a hot mess and your online persona has all the likeability of a jugallo clubbing baby seals. Professional schooling of any kind is not feasible until you get your life together and perhaps seek therapy.
4) If by some miracle you get into a legitimate SMP you will fail -- sealing your fate, burying you in debt, and worsening your career prospects.

You need to get your tragic yet tantalizing addiction under control before proceeding with any of these plans.
Extinction therapy for addiction to dat ass? Sounds like something one of our gunners should get on.

Yes. Don't you? As a med school admissions person isn't that exactly what you do?

I evaluate applicants and determine if an applicant is a good fit with our school and if that person is likely to succeed in school and in the practice of medicine.

Whether they are a good fit or not has no bearing on their value as a human being. Every human being, even those who are unable to accomplish anything due to disability or age, has intrinsic value.

Physicians care for patients without judgment. They must see value in each person who comes to them for help and treat each patient as a valuable member of the human race. If you don't have that mindset, you are going to be very unhappy as a physician.

Bro you need to "shadow" a psychiatrist

Reactions: 7 users
1) Extension schools justifiably have a stigma attached to them and online schools are a joke. You would be better off sticking to a community college.

I don't think so. @mehc012 did courses at an extension school and was very successful. It's a great option for non-trads. Very affordable too.

2) The advice that you want ("how do I get into an MD school within a few years") cannot be given because you are asking for the impossible.
3) Your problem is a problem of maturity, which is not something that can be fixed over night. If you're a troll, well done. If not, you're a hot mess and your online persona has all the likeability of a jugallo clubbing baby seals. Professional schooling of any kind is not feasible until you get your life together and perhaps seek therapy.
4) If by some miracle you get into a legitimate SMP you will fail -- sealing your fate, burying you in debt, and worsening your career prospects.

Extinction therapy for addiction to dat ass? Sounds like something one of our gunners should get on.

As mentioned perviously, community colleges and taking classes at my local universities is not possible due to reasons already mentioned. Perhaps you should read that post again a bit more slowly. Please take your time.

I evaluate applicants and determine if an applicant is a good fit with our school and if that person is likely to succeed in school and in the practice of medicine.

Whether they are a good fit or not has no bearing on their value as a human being. Every human being, even those who are unable to accomplish anything due to disability or age, has intrinsic value.

Physicians care for patients without judgment. They must see value in each person who comes to them for help and treat each patient as a valuable member of the human race. If you don't have that mindset, you are going to be very unhappy as a physician.

And what do you consider to see if they are a good fit for medicine? Their accomplishments. Case and point. And two people who apply medical school A and B, person A gets in and person B does not, person A has greater value than B. Simple, its really not that hard to understand. As a med school admissions officer i'm sure you think the same, you just don't want to admit that.

Obviously I would not expect an old man or a physically handicapped person to be able to compete in the olympics. Nor would I expect a mentally handicapped person to win the Nobel Prize. These are things that are outside of people's control. I am talking about someone who is not physically or mentally handicapped but who has achieved nothing or very little with their life. Those kinds of people who have no value. And as a physician I would still happily treat them as long as they have insurance and I get reimbursed for my services. Everybody wins.

I don't think so. @mehc012 did courses at an extension school and was very successful. It's a great option for non-trads. Very affordable too.
I'm aware (UCBX if I remember correctly,) and I've had this discussion with her before. The stigma exists nonetheless, though it is not ubiquitous.

I would say it's an option -- apparently the only option for some, but not a great option.

Status
Not open for further replies.