If I don't match, what are my options to get into a psychiatry residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRG23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Neurotic 4th year in the midst of waiting for match week checking in. I'm trying to develop some contingency plans in case I don't end up matching.

I know of the SOAP process but looking at last year's stats, it doesn't seem like there were many unfilled psych spots available. If applying to those spots falls through, what are my other options to end up in psych? Psych is the only specialty I could see myself doing, so I'd rather not end up in a FM residency or something like that.

Would I be able to get a transitional year spot and then match into a psych program as a pgy-2, and is that a feasible approach? Is trying to SOAP into a FM or IM residency and then switching out an option (I imagine PDs wouldn't take too kindly to that). Or is doing psych research and reapplying the way to go if the SOAP completely fails me?

Just trying to have my options lined up in anticipation of the 11th so I'm not caught scrambling in the end.

Members don't see this ad.

Would I be able to get a transitional year spot and then match into a psych program as a pgy-2, and is that a feasible approach? Is trying to SOAP into a FM or IM residency and then switching out an option (I imagine PDs wouldn't take too kindly to that). Or is doing psych research and reapplying the way to go if the SOAP completely fails me?

This is actually a very valid option, and some PDs are actually far more supportive than you'd expect. 2 of my classmates from med school matched into other specialties (one IM, on path) and ended up not liking it after a few months and reapplied to the match for psych. I saw them both on interview days and both said their PDs were very supportive. Imo, the different routes would be:

1. SOAP into psych
2. SOAP into another field/transitional year and try to transfer to a psych program
3. SOAP into another field/transitional year and reapply in the match the following year as a PGY-2
4. SOAP into anything and look for the few programs which are outside the match. Contact them and see if they will interview you and if they accept you then you can quit your previous position and sign on with them. There may be some contract details to work out there, but I think it's possible.
5. Don't match at all and reapply for the match the following year

May be other options, but for now I'd try to chill hope for the best.

This is actually a very valid option, and some PDs are actually far more supportive than you'd expect. 2 of my classmates from med school matched into other specialties (one IM, on path) and ended up not liking it after a few months and reapplied to the match for psych. I saw them both on interview days and both said their PDs were very supportive. Imo, the different routes would be:

1. SOAP into psych
2. SOAP into another field/transitional year and try to transfer to a psych program
3. SOAP into another field/transitional year and reapply in the match the following year as a PGY-2
4. SOAP into anything and look for the few programs which are outside the match. Contact them and see if they will interview you and if they accept you then you can quit your previous position and sign on with them. There may be some contract details to work out there, but I think it's possible.
5. Don't match at all and reapply for the match the following year

May be other options, but for now I'd try to chill hope for the best.
Thanks so much for the info! That's good info to have and hopefully I won't have to use it!

Members don't see this ad :)
SOAP is rough across the board though, look at the overall stats. Hope you can land a spot, but if not you are most likely looking to try and build up some time doing either research or a fifth year to boost your app.

Unless things have changed in the last few years, transitional year positions are more competitive than psychiatry. Maybe above post is also referring to prelim medicine/surgery positions. Prelim positions will likely be available in the SOAP and attainable. You could do a prelim program for a year and then transfer pgy 2 psych.

The NRMP has the crazy idea that the match is binding so those details could potentially end your ability to participate in the match. Of course slavery is against the law since 1865 and if you found a position outside of the match, not being able to use the match wouldn't be a big deal.

The NRMP has the crazy idea that the match is binding so those details could potentially end your ability to participate in the match. Of course slavery is against the law since 1865 and if you found a position outside of the match, not being able to use the match wouldn't be a big deal.

Right, but there are certain programs (typically new ones) which are accredited but not allowed to participate in the match (yet). I got e-mails from 2 of them when I was going through match that they were interested in me and offered an interview. Both said if they liked me I could sign a contract by October. What I was suggesting above was taking any PGY-1 position and potentially seeking out these programs after starting residency. From what I understand you can break your contract after 2 months, so if OP found a program willing to sign him/her in September they could start there the following year. Again, not sure about how the details would work out, but possibly something to look into (though not something I'd recommend, which is why it's near bottom of my list).