If I ever hear someone say

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HughMyron

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Medical school is like drinking from a fire hydrant in terms of the information rate."

I will jump off a building.

What is it with doctors/med students and cliches? Can't you at least say something with some semblance of creativity? Like "medical school is like having to eat at a chinese buffet every day" or "medical school is like being forced to drink 2 liters of sprite every day"?

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school is like eating pancakes.

Medical school is like having to drink a handle of liquor every day and then being forced to wake up with the worst hangover and do it again, and again, and again. Then when you throw up everywhere and can't take it anymore everyone just says "just keep it up" and then gives you another.

I totally don't know what I'm talking about, I'm still a pre med.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Medical school is like drinking from a fire hydrant in terms of the information rate."

What is it with doctors/med students and cliches? Can't you at least say something with some semblance of creativity? Like "medical school is like having to eat at a chinese buffet every day" or "medical school is like being forced to drink 2 liters of sprite every day"?

Because the fire hydrant analogy makes sense. The ones you suggested don't have the same meaning.

Because the fire hydrant analogy makes sense. The ones you suggested don't have the same meaning.

Because I made them up in 8 seconds.

I like the Chinese Food one though. Because at a Chinese Buffet, you eat a crapton of food, but you never have room for everything in the Buffet!

I brought it up at one of my interviews and the interviewer said he's never heard of that. I'm pretty sure he wasn't being sarcastic. He's the Dean Emeritus too.

Creativity kills in the clinic.

Creativity kills in the clinic.

g007_citizen_kane_slow_clap.gif

You did it again.

Because I made them up in 8 seconds.

I like the Chinese Food one though. Because at a Chinese Buffet, you eat a crapton of food, but you never have room for everything in the Buffet!

This is true for any quality buffet.

Members don't see this ad :)

But the difference is that when you go to a chinese food buffet, normal people (not me of course) have the option of saying, "no thanks, I have had enough." Or you could go the next day and say, "I had the pizza and now i don't feel like it, so I am going to have the chicken fried rice." medicine isn't like that. if you are going to use the chinese food analogy, it has got to be more like, "you have to eat one half cup of every single thing we have at this buffet, and if you don't, you can never eat again."

If you think my threads are so "stupid," then why do you feel compelled to post in every single one of them?

I never said your threads are "stupid". You mad brah?

Medical school is like being the Fat Guy eating spaghetti in the movie Se7en (starring Brad Pitt and Denzel Washington)

se7en-pitt-freeman.jpg

medicine is like eating so much food you throw up every single day. and when you throw up, you put in a jar and put it in your bookcase so you can eat it again later for boards.

Hi class! Welcome to, "How to make a metaphor for medical school learning 101." There is only one lesson, and that is that any metaphor along the lines of:

Imagine you have [amount of time] to [do an exorbitant amount of something], now this averages out to just [reasonable amount of something, every unit of time].

The pancakes metaphor is directly from this idea, and fits it perfectly.

Normal thought process when I see a thread posted by HughMyron.

1. I will ignore it.
2. Few hours later, the thread has 50+ posts. *sigh* I guess I will read it.
3. Read it.
4. Instantly regret reading it.

Dang thing happens every time.

Medical school is like drinking from a fire hydrant in terms of the information rate.

Please god don't disappoint me now.

1. I will ignore it.
3. Read it.

:laugh:

Correct. Where did I say your threads are "stupid" though?

If his threads are getting continuously worse and they're still not in the 'stupid' category yet, he's either dropping at an incredibly slow rate or his first thread was like the Big Bang in awesomeness magnitude.

Medical school is like drinking from a fire hydrant in terms of the information rate.

_proxy

careful. I got an infraction for telling someone to kill themself on SDN. I guess yours is more tactful so perhaps you'll just get a reminder of the TOS ;)

If his threads are getting continuously worse and they're still not in the 'stupid' category yet, he's either dropping at an incredibly slow rate or his first thread was like the Big Bang in awesomeness magnitude.

_proxy

:naughty:

I keep forgetting PMOD is a female.

Correct. Where did I say your threads are "stupid" though?

Ok sorry I mixed you up with somebody else.

1. I will ignore it.
3. Read it.

Look, all of you can tell me I don't deserve to be a physician, that I should kill myself, my threads are stupid, etc. That's fine, even though I think the second one is against the Terms of Service. As a denizen of the internet, I believe strongly in free speech, even if it means some people may use it as a way of engaging in personal attacks against me.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop posting because a few of you are pissed off. Free speech works both ways. And I think there are some questions that are worth asking and answering. This forum is the best place to do that.

Haters gonna hate. And if you really think you're going to faze me, then think again. You're talking to a Misc addict here.

Last edited:

1. I will ignore it.
3. Read it.

edward_norton_angry_laptop_gif.gif

or maybe

t4xlld.jpg

Sigh. What did I ever do to offend you? I don't even know you.

I reported this post, because I'm pretty sure that inciting users to commit suicide is against the rules.

1. I will ignore it.
3. Read it.

+1

Free speech is all well and good, but that doesn't mean people have to like what you say. This thread contributes zero to pre-allo. Free speech allows us to tell you that it is a worthless thread.

You know, it's not that hard to remember that there is a real human being with feelings on the other side of the computer. What is wrong with you?

+1

Free speech is all well and good, but that doesn't mean people have to like what you say. This thread contributes zero to pre-allo. Free speech allows us to tell you that it is a worthless thread.

If it was that worthless, you wouldn't have bothered to look at it, and you certainly wouldn't have bothered to post in it.

And I certainly don't think it's a worthless thread if we can agree on ONE metaphor that doesn't have to do with fire hydrants.

If it was that worthless, you wouldn't have bothered to look at it, and you certainly wouldn't have bothered to post in it.

And I certainly don't think it's a worthless thread if we can agree on ONE metaphor that doesn't have to do with fire hydrants.

Everyone already agrees with the pancake metaphor. This thread is worthless.

How do you have nearly 16,000 posts and not know the answer to this question? :D

Can't post and read. Can only do one.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Everyone already agrees with the pancake metaphor. This thread is worthless.

Except I didn't even know about it until this thread. :)

You can feel free to stop being so aggressive any time now.