If I get MPH from in-state (Texas), is it easy to get a job out-of-state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wunyunbun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been back and forth on this prestige-vs-cost issue and am leaning towards staying in-state at UTSPH to save money. The only thing that worries me is whether or not it is easy to take this degree outside of Texas and find a job. I feel as if UTSPH's networks and connections, especially to the medical center, will keep me in Texas and I don't want that. I know experience matters, but don't most people get their jobs through their networks?

Would it better for me to save money for 2 years then move elsewhere to find a job? How easy would it be to take this degree and go beyond Texas? Or should I go to another school that is higher ranked and perhaps more well known with better alumni connections ( am considering UMich and UMN) but take on debt?

Any advice is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would like advice on this topic as well. I am considering UT for the interdisciplinary program and the price and the cost vs prestige issue is driving me crazy. I would love to go to UCLA but I have heard that even though its less expensive than Emory (with in state for the second year) housing would make them about equal. And then there is Emory which has the prestige but I am not a huge fan of taking on a lot of debt. I am literally back and forth everyday as well. I was unemployed for 6 months after a job layoff so employment rates are very important to me as I am going back to school to increase my marketability and get experience in a field I am interested in.

Look at each faculty member's connections. See if those connections are to national organizations. See what orgs recruit at your school. Look at post-grad employment data if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would still go for it. I really believe that if you're good at what you do, you should be able to land a job. The tuition there is significantly less, especially for residents. Is there any way you can get in contact with alumni or the alumni association and see where graduates work, and ask them about how hard or easy it is to get a job. I think it's safe to assume they don't all work in tx. Good luck!

Prestige of school hardly matters in the real world. Its all about willing to relocate for work and having experience. Maybe look for possible internships while in school?

Going to school in the state you'd like to work (with the exception of (inter)national organizations and businesses) certainly helps with logistics for interviewing and working. Also, some schools are known for having a pipeline into certain businesses/organizations in some areas.

Getting a job is not easy right now. If you send out 100 applications, expect 4 - 5 interviews. Just make sure you go to an accredited school.