antispatula

7+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2011
Status
Medical Student
MS3, currently on second clerkship, just got my 1st clerkship grade back, which was a pass. At my school its F/P/HP/H. I'm afraid I don't really understand nuances of how 3rd year grades effect residency applications, etc, so I though I'd ask about a "worst case scenario" question to perhaps get some perspective.
-I am 100% sure I want to be a rural FM doc in Oregon.
-I got a 230 on Step 1, never failed any finals or anything first 2 years, no sketch professional or academic problems, did some research/presented it at a conference end of 1st year.
-Coming from an MD school thats fairly respected in the West.

Taking all of these things into consideration, here is the question I want answered:

If I get straight passes (no HP or Honors) on 100% of my clerkships, including FM, will that stop me from easily matching into FM?

I'm guessing the answer is "no" but I want to hear other's perspective. Not because it will change my work ethic (I always try my best) but just to give me baseline peace of mind, etc. Thanks in advance!

flasheroonie

Teddy Bear
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2010
TARDIS
Status
Attending Physician
What you're mentioning is only one portion of your application for residency when the time comes. The program directors will also be looking at your letters of recommendation very closely as well as your Dean's letter for feedback remarks from each of your clinical rotations. Don't sweat the pass, just worry about the rotation that you're in and try your best to kick butt.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MS3, currently on second clerkship, just got my 1st clerkship grade back, which was a pass. At my school its F/P/HP/H. I'm afraid I don't really understand nuances of how 3rd year grades effect residency applications, etc, so I though I'd ask about a "worst case scenario" question to perhaps get some perspective.
-I am 100% sure I want to be a rural FM doc in Oregon.
-I got a 230 on Step 1, never failed any finals or anything first 2 years, no sketch professional or academic problems, did some research/presented it at a conference end of 1st year.
-Coming from an MD school thats fairly respected in the West.

Taking all of these things into consideration, here is the question I want answered:

If I get straight passes (no HP or Honors) on 100% of my clerkships, including FM, will that stop me from easily matching into FM?

I'm guessing the answer is "no" but I want to hear other's perspective. Not because it will change my work ethic (I always try my best) but just to give me baseline peace of mind, etc. Thanks in advance!
You'll be fine for FM. You might not get interviews at some more competitive locations.

OP
antispatula

antispatula

7+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2011
Status
Medical Student
What you're mentioning is only one portion of your application for residency when the time comes. The program directors will also be looking at your letters of recommendation very closely as well as your Dean's letter for feedback remarks from each of your clinical rotations. Don't sweat the pass, just worry about the rotation that you're in and try your best to kick butt.
Assuming the rest of the application is solid

Reactions: flasheroonie