If I go to a D.O. school how hard is it to get into surgery/anesthesiology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
or other competitive residencies? I heard it's more difficult than if I went to a MD med school according to some people and I want to know if that's true.

Members don't see this ad.

it will be more difficult. while MD=DO on paper, DOs will face disadvantages when it comes to competitive residencies.

however, from what i've heard on SDN, anesthesiology is especially DO-friendly, and general surgery is reasonable.

from what i've heard on SDN, the surgical subspecialties, ophthalmology, and dermatology are really the only specialties that are unrealistic for a DO to match in.

it will be more difficult. while MD=DO on paper, DOs will face disadvantages when it comes to competitive residencies.

however, from what i've heard on SDN, anesthesiology is especially DO-friendly, and general surgery is reasonable.

from what i've heard on SDN, the surgical subspecialties, ophthalmology, and dermatology are really the only specialties that are unrealistic for a DO to match in.

Thanks.
that's cool that anesthesiology is DO friendly, why are surgery specialities so non-D.O. friendly? It seems odd when DO and MD are equivalent is there still bias against DOs in those particular specialities? It seems odd to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.
that's cool that anesthesiology is DO friendly, why are surgery specialities so non-D.O. friendly? It seems odd when DO and MD are equivalent is there still bias against DOs in those particular specialities? It seems odd to me.

DOs and MDs are equivalent legally, but the qualifications to get into a DO versus MD school are vastly different, which is where the bias comes from. Lots of surgeons, for whatever reason, think DOs are *******es. Also, besides general surgery, the surgical subspecialities are among the most competitive specialities for all applicants.

Anyway, in 2013, there were 4913 DO grads. 135 matched AOA general surgery, 100 matched AOA orthopedics, 47 matched Acgme general surgery, 24 matched aoa ENT, 17 matched aoa urology, 16 matched aoa opthamology, 14 matched aoa NS, 6 matched Acgme orthopedics, 2 matched Acgme neurosurgery, 2 matched Acgme vascular, 1 matched Acgme ENT, and a handful matched Acgme opthamology.

Last edited:
From my limited experience it seems that gas is fairly easy to get into as a DO. Surgery perhaps slight more difficult but still very doable. It's all up to the individual.

I don't how competitive it is, but every year I do see a number of students who go into this field. Actually, one of my all-time worst students got into anesthesiology, so either he was a stud in his clincial years, the field is actually not hard to get into, or miracles do happen. He's probably killing patients in Brooklyn right now.

Anesthesiology is not competitive?

Reactions: 9 users
DOs and MDs are equivalent legally, but the qualifications to get into a DO versus MD school are vastly different, which is where the bias comes from. Lots of surgeons, for whatever reason, think DOs are *******es. Also, besides general surgery, the surgical subspecialities are among the most competitive specialities for all applicants.

Anyway, in 2013, there were 4913 DO grads. 135 matched AOA general surgery, 100 matched AOA orthopedics, 47 matched Acgme general surgery, 24 matched aoa ENT, 17 matched aoa urology, 16 matched aoa opthamology, 14 matched aoa NS, 6 matched Acgme orthopedics, 2 matched Acgme neurosurgery, 2 matched Acgme vascular, 1 matched Acgme ENT, and a handful matched Acgme opthamology.

Roughly speaking, 8% of DO grads matched into surgical specialties. Therefore, the take home message is to be among the top 10% (or even 20% since not all top 10% want to do surgical specialties) of your class and you are going to be fine.

Roughly speaking, 8% of DO grads matched into surgical specialties. Therefore, the take home message is to be among the top 10% (or even 20% since not all top 10% want to do surgical specialties) of your class and you are going to be fine.

that's pretty good, isn't it?

you know the percentage for MDs? i would guess that only around 20% of MDs match in anything surgery related. but that's only a guess.