If I graduate undergrad a year early, will I still get into PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgs1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am going into my junior year as a Bio major (pre PT). As of now, I have 95 credits. This year I will be taking A&P I and II, Physics I and II, biochem, evolution, zoology, and 2 gen eds needed to graduate. I have already taken Bio I,II,III, Chem I,II, Organic chem I, Stats, Calculus, Genetics and a couple gen eds needed to graduate. Next month I will be taking 2 online psychology courses through a community college that many PT schools have as prerequisites.

For volunteering, I am a tad behind as I have gotten 40 hours at one Pt office, and I am starting at an aquatic PT this week. I plan to have ~100 hours of volunteering between these 2 places by the end of August.

I am able to graduate a year early next Spring (with a hectic year ahead). I am prepared for the hard and numerous classes if it means i can leave where I am ASAP (family issues and lust for a new environment!)

My GPA is 3.85, I am a female, was a Resident Assistant for one year, and have been offered 2 scholarships from the Bio department totaling ~3k.

My question is, will I be able to be accepted to PT school while having all these prerequisites still ahead of me this year? Each of the schools i am interested in (below) stated that it does not matter if prereqs are not completed for admissions, but just that they are completed by enrollment into a program and I tell them my plan of when I am taking each.
1) Virginia Commonwealth University
2) Duke University
3)East Carolina University
4)Western Carolina University
5)Medical University of South Carolina

Most of the deadlines for these programs are around Nov. I am planning to start applying soon and asking for letters of recommendations soon too. I am also planning on taking the GRE at the end of summer.

Please let me know what your opinions are! I am hardworking and want to get the hell out of where i am right now and just move on with my passion in life!!:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

Each program has their own set requirements for outstanding prerequisites. Most programs do not allow more than 2. You should check with each program you're interested in.

I don't know the programs you are applying to specifically....but if you are "allowed" to have so many outstanding pre reqs, then yes, go ahead and apply. Why not? But, be prepared that even though they allow so many outstanding pre reqs, you just may be less competitive than other applicants. And that completely depends on the application pool. So, just be prepared to have to apply a second year IF you don't get in...don't get upset about it, but just realize it was likely because of your pre reqs. That said, if you added a few more late deadline schools (deadlines January or later) to your pool, you are a lot more likely to get in once you have fall semester grades in too. Either way, just have a plan.

Reactions: 1 user