If I had it to do all over again...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gator05

Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to learn:

Now that you're a 4th year/resident, is there anything you would have done differently in preparing for anesthesiology?

Electives you would have taken?
Places you would have applied/interviewed?
Questions you would have asked?
Things you would have taken into consideration when ranking programs?
Advice you wish you had been given?

Members don't see this ad.

Internships in some cities such as NYC and Boston can be more competitive than the anesthesia programs. I would have applied to more internships in these cities. Although if anesthesia becomes more competitive, this might not be the case anymore.

I also would have contacted residents at my top programs while making my rank list to help me finalize my decision. The reason for this is that the program I ranked 2nd had a major upheaval early in the year and they waited until after the match list deadline to announce it. Luckily, I got my 1st choice, but if I had known that I would have changed my order. If I had independently contacted some residents, maybe I would have found out about that????

interviewed at/applied to less places...and used that extra money on something else. Got paranoid by the "ultra-competitive this year" hype.